Thread: Close Call!

Close Call!

Every night I take Nebo for a walk to the church at the end of my street. They have a pretty big yard, and I let him go and run around on a 20 ft leash. He mainly tries to eat the leash and chase moths lol. Anyway, I usually go at about 10:30-11:00 and I always go alone. Everyone else is normally in bed. This time for some reason I convinced my mom to go with me...and I'm glad she did! I was running with him when suddenly his collar broke! It's one of those snap collars, and the snap just well...snapped! lol. Since it's a long leash he was quite a bit ahead of me when it broke. We both panicked because of everything we've heard about huskies...and running off...But I knew one thing for sure. If I would have chased him he would have just ran farther. If I chase him in my yard he just runs off like it's a game, and there's no way I can catch a speeding husky! We both just kind of stopped and started calling him really excitedly. I also found a treat in my pocket, and he came running! Phew!! While I struggled to hold him (he's 30 pounds now, and hates to be held down!) my mom snapped the leash onto itself and made a make-shift collar. I still carried him home, paranoid, lol. Ugh, now I have to go buy a new collar. I have a nice one I've had for years that I was planning to put on him when he gets older, but it's too big right now. But oh well about the collar, I'm just glad he didn't get away! He scared us!

Amy, that happened with us when Draker we first got Draker. He had been with us probably for a little over a month. That's when we invested in a harness! It doesn't snap and break like the collar did.

Why don't you try getting him a harness for his walks?

Post some more pictures of Nebo!

Yikes! that must have been a panicky few minutes!! A while back, we had a lab X that would take off running as fast and as far as she could. One day, she got away chasing a squirrel, and I knew it was gonna be a long hot chase. So I ran to the nearest tree, looked up and said, "Oh squirrelly!! Loook right here!! A Squirrellly!!!" She fell for it, and came running right up to investigate!!!! But unfortunately that only works once...

I'm really glad Nebo is ok! I remember when my mom and dad had moved into a new house (I was still living at home) And I was walking our Cocker Spaniel. And all of the sudden he got excited about something and he broke loose from his collar. And ran down toward the Main Road. I was so scared he was going to get hit. Luckly I caught him. But still it scared me half to death. I hope Nebo don't break anymore collars.
    "Careful what you say, careful what you wish or it may just regret it!"

That would have terrified me too.

Something similiar happened to us when we
    were on vacation with Pepper.
    Accept Pepper did not want to come us,
    she was having to much fun.
    Luckly we had Sheba with us, and Pepper did
    come to check Sheba out.

What a good boy Nebo is.

----<---<--<{(@

I am so glad Nebo decided not to run further away from you. That must have been scary. Same thing happened to me when I first got Phoebe. She had one of those snap collars too and she snapped it. She was out in the yard, I wasn't with her and we didn't have a fence. She ran into the farmers field that was across the street and was quite a ways. I sent Deisel after her cause she wouldn't come to me either, just kept running....soooo I let Deisel off his leash (he's trained) and told him to get Phoebe.

I was pretty scared as we also had a highway right next to us

But everything turned out ok and I am glad that everything turned out ok for you and Nebo too!!!

I have a harness for him. Problem is, I can't leave it on him. I left it on him once and he chewed through it! I had to sew it back up. I do put him in that quite often, and he always has that on in the car because the seatbelt attaches to it.

Reggie and Smokey have got loose plenty of times, but they difference is...they are not Nebo!! lol

Lol and Blink...are you sure? I always have new pics, but I think I've been posting too many of him!

Odie and Scout both have choker collars (without spikes, of course). I didn't want to do it, but they kept breaking collars. The final straw was at the park one night when Odie took of for a run and the collar broke. He just ran and ran and ran. I don't know what got into him -- he never has that kind of energy! He was doing huge circles around us, and there was NO WAY we could get him to come back. We were so close to a highway, and I was terrified that he would get hit. Dalmatians are quick too. He finally came back to us, that naughty boy. But he gave us quite a scare.

I am so gald you got Nebo! I know whats that like. We went to my grand parents this weekend and my brother let Chewy off his leash! It took us almost a half hour to get him as he knew we were going to pick him up and put him on a leash. Finally I just ran away from him he jumped on me to bite me and I grabed him. I was scared to death though becaue Chewy loves to run away from you and your voice and although there aren't many cars up there there are Bears, Puma's and a Squirrel without a tail (lol).

I am glad Nebo is safe and sound!
    Dogs: Nova, Konnor and Sitka

Nice to hear he came back.

I know you probably don't like choke collars, but why not consider one as a back-up. You keep the snap collar on him, but place a choke collar on too, snap onto both collars that way if one does break away, at least you have one that won't.

We use this combination with some of the mellower dogs in rescue. The snap collars is the primary and the choke collar just hangs loose unless the other one breaks.

glad that you and nebo are okay, what a fright.

WHEW! You scared me big-time! Now you know what it's like to have a loose husky on the run! I've felt like how you felt MANY times when Anna got away.. the last time she ran away.. was in May and that was when she got hit by a car, and she hasn't done it since.. Glad to know Nebo is OK!!
    You're the one sure thing I've found so you better stick around...
    Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful man that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

I am so glad that Nebo came back to you and you didn`t lose that precious pup. Good boy Nebo!
    I have to say that is my worst fear, that Bob will someday break loose, I know if he did he would be away so fast, looking for new adventures and fun Trouble is that where I live there are a number of busy roads that he could very easily stray onto, plus it is a big estate and I would be very lucky if I was able to track him down. He is ALWAYS kept on the leash, a flexi and a harness for field walking so he has some sort of freedom, and a head collar and regular leash for street walking. I take the harness off when we get home, we have this little routine of `one paw, two paws` to take it off and put it on. lol. The back of my house is ok, there is a fence and bushes so he`s okay out there and the front has a fence too but one he could jump if he took a mind to so I always go out with him. I do tend to get paranoid about gates being closed though!

What a scare! Good boy Nebo for not running too far...

We have Premier collars for the girls. They do not snap, but fit over the head and tighten. They can not pull out of them becuase when they put ressure on they tighten, sorta like a choker, but they are made of nylon and much much easier on the lyrnax. The company also makes a version with a safety break away, called th "Chinook" and the Gentle Leader. They are great collars.