Thread: 'Tiel/Canary co-existing?

'Tiel/Canary co-existing?

I just got Joey (my 2 year old 'Tiel) a HUGE new cage. The lady I adopted my Guinea Pigs from had it sitting out in her garage and didn't want it. It had perviously housed six 'Tiels, so it needed some cleaning up but it wasn't in bad shape at all. Amazing cage. I love it and so does Joey.

When I move out Joey is going to be staying with my mom. He likes her, hates me, and my mom loves him, so everyone is happy with the arangement.
    What my mom has really always wanted, however, is a male Canary. I can't ever remember her not wanting one. Once our current pet population dwindles a bit (pocket pets are getting up in their years... ) I thought that a Canary would be a nice gift for her. She can finally have the pet she wants instead of me bringing home hamsters, Guinea pigs, and ferrets.

Now for my question.
    Can a Cockatiel co-exist with a Canary in the same cage, if there is ample enough room? If so, how would you house them together? I'm thinking of food mainly (Joey eats Zupreem pellets along with a couple of Nutriberries per day), but also introductions.

Here is a picture of the cage. Plenty of space, IMO, but I know nothing. Cage bar spacing is at most a 1/2 inch - seems smaller. The demensions are 24"x37"x67" at its tallest point:

And two pictures of Joey for the heck of it:

~My Clan: Blackie, Rose, Chloe (dogs), Casey, Dameon (ferts), Pheobe (kitty), Dot, Louie (Cavies), Joey (Teil), Pikachu (Dwarf Hammie), Sadie (Guide Dog), R.I.P. Rush (15yrs), R.I.P. Lucy (4yrs)~

I would say no parrots have very strong beaks and could easily snap a small canaries leg in half. I did know someone who kept the two species together in a large aviary but I would not risk it. Now housing him with a few other cockatiels would definatly be an option. Best if it were ones of the same sex. It does take a long time to introduce them and get them used to each other though.

Zoe and Oliver you will always be missed wait for me at the bridge babies.

Also owned by 2 cats named Olive and Sophie
    1 bunny named Houdini
    1 syrian hamster named Oreo
    A 17 year old cockatiel named Baby
    7 zebra finches named Beeper, Zeb, Sprout, Buzz, Scout, Jack and Pearl
    7 bettas
    and several tropical fish

Visit Lucy, Maggie, and Gracie's Doggyspace

Thanks.

My mom and I were talking and we've decided that Joey will be coming with me whenever I move out. (For some reason he has taken a liking to me again now that he is in his new cage....he hasn't hissed at me in a week or two now! In fact he'll come over the bars of the cage to see me and get his head rubbed just like he used to when I first got him.) Instead my mom is going to use his old cage for her canary. And since I will be taking Joey with me, I supposed to buy her a canary as a replacement.

Depending on how life goes, I may decided to get him another Cockatiel friend. I feel bad for him being all alone. Although once he is no longer sharing the house with the evil baby kitten he will be able to get out much, much more than what he is now.
    ~My Clan: Blackie, Rose, Chloe (dogs), Casey, Dameon (ferts), Pheobe (kitty), Dot, Louie (Cavies), Joey (Teil), Pikachu (Dwarf Hammie), Sadie (Guide Dog), R.I.P. Rush (15yrs), R.I.P. Lucy (4yrs)~

I know nothing about housing different species of birds together..

But I did want to add that Joey is absolutely stunning.
    I love his colors, and his white face, with the grey around his eyes..

I'm in the process of convincing my other half that I need a bird (a green cheek conure).. It's not going over well, but we have a lot going on right now, so I probably won't.
    Please post more pictures of your handsome boy so I can drool over him instead.