Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Boy's don't automatically lift their leg

Netherlands (where I'm from) & Germany (where I live)
    Originally posted by DoggiesAreTheBest
    The behaviorist we go to said that lifting the leg is also a dominance sign. I have seen females do it as well.
    Since Dunja is dominant, so that explains why she lifts her leg. Even though she's as big as Cookie's head, she still thinks she knows it all better.

So does Dixie!!! She can squat about 100 times when we are at the park or any where there are other dogs. She is very dominant over other dogs though. We
    call her Mrs. Queen Bee when she falls into this routine!
    Surprisingly, Sadie is not very dominant. She submits to Cincy regularly, although I think when it comes to it and she feels a need to prove it, she is dominant. She is aggressive in trying to get other dogs to play with her, but never in a dominant sort of way that I have observed. I have no idea how she behaves at Day School, when there are other dogs around, other then to say all the workers love her and say what a sweetie she is.

My golden Otis has two different stances: one is all business "I just need to GO" and he squats when that is the case; the other is reserved for walks in the woods or around the neighborhood where he seems to think "Hmmm...I like that little tree, I think I'll take it" and that is when his leg comes up. He will go to the exact same tree on each and every walk in the woods and never fails to amuse me with his choices or his "acrobatics" to get that mark exactly where he wants it. This is a picture of him when he was only about 8 months old.

Oh Otis, aren't you a sweet one! Malone sends you puppy hugs and sloppy kisses!!

Oh Otis!!! You're so cute!!!!! How old are you now?

Big hugs and kisses from me and MISSY !!!

{{{OTIS}}}

Originally posted by trisha0503
    Oh Otis!!! You're so cute!!!!! How old are you now?

That's what I was going to ask!!! Any updated pictures of Otis you can share? He is adorable!!!

Candy,

I also love pictures of Dixie and Dusty!! They are both adorable!!! Everytime I see Dusty, it feels like at looking at my MISSY! Wish you could post more pictures of them !!

Originally posted by trisha0503
    Wish you could post more pictures of them !!
    I just got a new digital camera so as soon as I learn how to load them onto the computer I will post more pictures. We have been getting lots of GOLDENS joining lately!!!

I never thought of them learning from other dogs, that makes sense though.

Originally posted by mommyofotis
    My golden Otis has two different stances: one is all business "I just need to GO" and he squats when that is the case; the other is reserved for walks in the woods or around the neighborhood where he seems to think "Hmmm...I like that little tree, I think I'll take it" and that is when his leg comes up.

Smokey is like this, too. Squats at home to GO, lifts on a walk.

I remember the first time I saw him lift his leg, I was in Michigan and my exboyfriend and I were hanging out in my truck on this dirt road and I took Smokey for a quick out to see if he needed to pee and he lifted his leg! I was like, "WHOA! Adam, did you see that?!?" Out of nowhere. He was about 5 1/2 months old at the time.

Netherlands (where I'm from) & Germany (where I live)

Goldens

Nice to see there are new Goldens on the board!

Can't wait to see more Dusty and Dixie pictures!!!

Murphy only lifts his leg if he's standing against something (a hedge, tree, fence, even a parked bike!). He'll squat if he's in the middle of the grass.

Now, if only we could get him to stop peeing on the back of his front legs...he doesn't have the best aim!

My dog Bandit (Border Collie x lab) never lifted his leg until I moved in with my BF and his 2 male dogs. I don't think he knew how until he saw the others do it! They're all neutered. Now he goes both ways, depending on if we're by something tall (trees, tall weeds) or on short grass.