Thread: Digging

Digging

We have a new home with a nice fenced in yard for our pups. But now, they have taken to digging. Not so much to get out, they dig near the fence, but in the wrong direction.

We would like to control this as mud in the house is no fun. Any suggestions on how to train them to not dig? Another activity to get them into, rather than digging?
    "Unlike most of you, I am not a nut."

- Homer Simpson

"If the enemy opens the door, you must race in."

- Sun Tzu - Art of War

Nope I have tried everything to get my pups from digging & it dont work.. They have swimming pool for the hot days & plenty of toys to play with.. But nope we still dig & dig & dig.. I have nicknamed Lili diggerett & Nickelia digger..

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

When Bella was a puppy she insisted on digging in one of my flowerbeds (after a rain, when it was nice and muddy! ) I had some decorative slate pieces in other areas and totally covered that flowerbed in slate. For some reason that slowed her down although she still occasionally dug in other areas. It wasn't until I added Ripley to "the fold" that she stopped totally. I feel that she was bored being outside alone and needed a little companion to explore all of the smells with her and stop the need to dig. After Ripley came, the digging stopped 100%. That may not be the answer for others, but it was for me.

Pet stores sell repellemt to keep dogs and cats out of flower beds and such, maybe you could try sprinkling some all along the bottom of the fence until your dog loses interest in digging. He won't like the smell in that area so I doubt he'll stick around long enough to dig. While he isn't digging you could try installing new stuff in the yard to keep him busy. Maybe a few utility articles and such, or try giving him a nice big juicy raw bone to chew when he's outside.