Thread: Biter and Swiper

Biter and Swiper

I am presently kitten sitting for a friend until her luck changes. This kitten, approximately 10 months old, has turned into a rough player. When he licks my hand, it usually turns into a bite which has yet to break the skin. The bite usually turns back into a lick. He also likes to spring out from places and grab me with his claws. He especially likes it in the morning when I'm making my bed when he'll hide under the bed and swat at my feet. He'll also hide behind curtains to spring out, and if my foot is hanging over the edge of the bed I'm a gonner. He's not what I consider mean because he loves to snuggle and sleep right next to me on my extra pillow.
    Is there that I can do to break these habits? He is strictly a house cat and since he isn't mine, I can't have him declawed. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    Labmomma and Cat Lady 2
    Love me, love My Boyz!!

Um, it sounds like normal kitten fuzz nugget behavior to me. Even my older cats do that on occasion. And good that there will be no declawing. It's cruel and very painful, even later in life and can cause all sorts of behavior problems.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Thanks Mary,
    His behavior is definitely kitten since he doesn't walk anywhere; he darts in a frinzy. But I do have another cat of my own that is still like this much of the time without the biting and swiping. He is definitely a lover.
    Thanks again for your comment
    Labmomma
    Love me, love My Boyz!!

Definitely kitten behaviour, but has the boy been fixed?
    Nine is Fine!!

Yes, he's been neutered. I think he's just very playful right now and may eventually calm down (fingers crossed).
    Labmomma
    Love me, love My Boyz!!

sounds fun

this sounds to me little normal kittie behaviour, like the other posts say. well if the kitten didn't do this i'd be concerned. everyone likes a comedian and cats are just that!.

wraithguard.

Keeping the claws regularly clipped should help with the swiping!!! Kittens are crazy until about 2yrs!!! GOOD LUCK!!!!!!
    Nine is Fine!!

I agree females until about 2 years the male somewhere between 3-4. I still use my grab method to stop biting. A little nip now and then is OK, but a hard bite is greeted with my thumb in the mouth and gently holding the lower jaw. As they relies that they are trapped they get a little scared. After doing this a couple of times they get the idea that it’s not a good idea too bite. If they are swiping or biting any one else I have become a really good shot with the water bottle. As I have said before we have bottles all around the house, a bout 8 of them
    GILL & Crew;