Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shelter workers / volunteers - you be the judge:

xx
    Last edited by All Creatures Great And Small; 12-11-2012 at 12:35 PM.
    The legend says that Mohammed adored cats. When one of them was sleeping on his sleeve and he had to go out, Mohammed supposedly cut off the sleeve so as not to disturb his pet.

A righteous man regardeth the life of his beast - Proverbs 12:10

How we behave toward cats here below determines our status in heaven. - Robert A. Heinlein

What greater gift than the love of a cat? ~ Charles Dickens

There is, incidently, no way of talking about cats that enables one to come off as a sane person. - Dan Greenberg

If purring could be encapsulated, it'd be the most powerful anti-depressant on the market. ~Alexis F. Hope

I definitely agree with you that something here just is not right. With a vet check, neuter, flea bath and positive attention, this beautiful little guy could have come to be someone's devoted and loving companion. Please don't blame yourself or worry about an innocent comment, you did the very best you could to give this kitty a second chance at a much better life. And for that, bless you!

My issue here is with the shelter. What kind of animal haven represents itself as a no kill then turns around and pulls a stunt like this? From your post, it sounds like the staff was totally indifferent and straight out did not care about what happened to kitty or your concern about his well being. If I understand this correctly, the staff needs to find something else to do because care and compassion for animals in need doesn't seem to exist there. They seem cold and indifferent.

Please contact the executor of the estate and let them know what's going on there. You might also consider contacting the Humane Society, SPCA or other animal welfare agency. Perhaps it's time for this place to be investigated. Most likely this is not an isolated incident!
    FIND A PURPOSE IN LIFE.....BE A BAD EXAMPLE

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    Silver Ghost.

Yes, ferals are always put down immediately. After age 9 weeks or so, it takes a LOT of work, by a very special person / family, to tame the cat.

Well, I am certainly not a special cat expert by any means, but I did bring
    two feral cat brothers into my house to raise at 10-11weeks old. These were
    my first cats ever. It's been over 6 yrs now and they are doing great. So
    it is possible.

I do agree that most shelters are way to busy to give them individual care
    and attention needed to get them ready for adoption. There are just too
    many regular cats needing homes to make taming ferals feasable.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

xx
    Last edited by All Creatures Great And Small; 12-11-2012 at 12:35 PM.
    The legend says that Mohammed adored cats. When one of them was sleeping on his sleeve and he had to go out, Mohammed supposedly cut off the sleeve so as not to disturb his pet.

A righteous man regardeth the life of his beast - Proverbs 12:10

How we behave toward cats here below determines our status in heaven. - Robert A. Heinlein

What greater gift than the love of a cat? ~ Charles Dickens

There is, incidently, no way of talking about cats that enables one to come off as a sane person. - Dan Greenberg

If purring could be encapsulated, it'd be the most powerful anti-depressant on the market. ~Alexis F. Hope