Thread: Way to go, Texas.

Way to go, Texas.

In response to hurricane Gustav, the SPCA of Texas has started taking in evacuee pets. Oh, but not those pit bulls....they get to stay behind. A quote from the SPCA....

"Our goal is to serve as a hub since the path of the hurricane could affect both states. In order to continue to help animals from the coast of Louisiana and Texas, I am asking for assistance from SAWA members in moving these animals further north. All of the animals are considered adoptable. There are 90 dogs total. Most are medium size and approximately 15 are large dogs. None of the dogs are Pitbulls." - VP of Operations, SPCA of Texas

This makes my blood boil. According to BAD RAP...

"While non-pits are being welcomed into waiting shelters farther north, the pit bulls have been shuffled to other locations to wait out the storms along with the unadoptables, the strays and the very sick dogs. Sorry pit bulls. Once again, you get the back of the bus."

Their blog says that the best place to send donations is Best Friends animal sanctuary...They are already putting rescue efforts in place and they do NOT discriminate by breed.

Thank you Wolf_Q!

grr. "Pit Bulls Only", "Non-pit Bulls Only." Stupid breedism (is that even a word?)
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

sigh. This is an improvement (dare I add, a MAJOR improvement?) over 3 years ago, with Katrina, when the animals - and ALL breeds of dog -- were left behind. Still, it is not where we want rescue to be, they still need to improve some.

That's a shame.

I was watching t.v. last night and they showed a dog that had been left behind in somebody's yard. It made me mad.
    I love Fenway, JoJo, Olivia and Nonnie!

Wow, I can't even believe what crap I just read. So because my dog(if I had a pit) is a pitbull it gets left behind? All the other dogs are saved but my dog gets left behind? That is terrible. They really need to CUT THE CRAP and focus on the REAL issues in this country then banning "agressive" dogs. It's so stupid.

That's just plain mis education. There are other breeds which are predisposed to dog aggression, yet they single out one breed. It just makes me more than a little mad.

Niño & Eliza