Thread: I need a question answered.

I need a question answered.

As some of you know, I was "honored" with Buddy, a 2 year old orange and white cat. He's neutered and litterbox trained.

I still smell the "maleness" in the litterbox whenever I clean out the box. I have no idea how long he's been fixed, as Paula won't return my calls.

Does anyone know how long it takes for the male odor to disappear??? I panic whenever I smell it because it makes me think he's spraying or inappropriately peeing and I know he's not.

HELP!!!!!

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Do you how long ago he was neutered?
    Nine is Fine!!

It should disappear within a month...unless they 'missed' a bit in surgery.

Are you sure he WAS neutered?
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Well, Paula has no records for him and refuses to call me. He doesn't spray or pee anywhere but the box now, but the "maleness" odor is still there. She told me he was neutered and *ahem* they look like he's been neutered. I'm going to call the vet on Tuesday and ask them about it. Afterall, they were the ones that got the "sample" from him to send to the lab.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

Y'know, I sometimes think that the smell just pops up every now and then. My Boo is 17 and yet every once in a while, I can detect that unmistakable male scent, which is different from the smell of urine. Unless you actually smell urine somewhere in the house, I wouldn't worry about it, Donna.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Mary,

Nope, just in the box where he pees, thank goodness!!!

I've heard that if a cat is not drinking enough water, their urine is more concentrated and stronger smelling. Wet food helps and adding water to wet food helps even more to dilute the urine.

If he is sticking to one box in particular, maybe you could use a scented litter until things 'clear up'.

I have 2 rubbermaid containers, one in the bathroom sink and one in the kitchen sink. Both are filled with water that he LOVES to drink. He also gets wet food at night. I haven't smelled it lately so maybe it is just concentrated when he doesn't drink enough water.

Things are going great here. Everyone seems to be getting along, except for the scratches on Moo's neck. I heard some meowing last night so it's possible Buddy nailed him while I was sound asleep. He'll live.

I have too agree, even with 6 water bowls, we still had the smell once in a while. Now with fountains and bowls they seem to be drinking more, but it still poips up every so often.
    GILL & Crew;

About Buddy's urine odor

I was just reading about Buddy's urine odor and had a thought.Maybe he has a retained testicle.I believe it is called cryptochidism. It might explain the odor if he appears neutered. Just a thought. katslady

Ace had TERRIBLE tomcat pee before he was neutered. It started fading almost immediately after surgery.

About male neutering

When my male cat was being neutered, I asked my vet why they didn't just do a vasectomy. He said that only homeless shelters do vasectomies. It's cheaper, of course, but it just makes the cat sterile. He remains otherwise male. Maybe your cat had a vasectomy instead the more complete procedure. Just a thought. Hole the smell goes away.

Quote Originally Posted by Catty1 View Post
    It should disappear within a month...unless they 'missed' a bit in surgery.

Are you sure he WAS neutered?
    Is this true? I have had my male cat Hercules for over 2 years now. When we found him two years ago he was about two year old. We had him nuertered immediatly - but whenever he gets excited we makes that "maleness smell". I thought some male cats for whatever reason still possess the ability to have that "smell", they just do not spay because their hormones have decreased (testosterone). hmmm, now I have no idea.
    Sincerely,
    Kat

Rest in Peace Baby, Hercules, and Sydney - If love could have saved you, you both would have lived forever!

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." ~Ghandi

I'VE BEEN BOO'D!