Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prayers for Kari please...

Prayers for Kari please...

Kari(my bunny) hasnt been that well lately with runnystools, uneaten cecals, a lump under her ear, and now she has had a seizure. I pulled her wheat litter(its edable) and replaced it was shavings for now, and I have given her lots of hay to munch on. please pray that she will ok. she is going to vet, but the exotics vets are all out of town for the labour day long weekend, so the soonest possable we were able to get is Tuesday morning.
    Last edited by cali; 09-02-2008 at 05:52 PM.
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Perky-13 year old mix Ripley-11 year old mix

and the Prairie Clan Gerbils

Poor Kari, I will keep her in my prayers.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Sorry I didn't see this until now.
    I will be keeping your little girl in my thoughts.
    ((((Hugs)))) and good vibes headed that way.

thanks guys, her appointment is tommorow morning, I told my boss today that I would be late for work because of it(I work at 10) . in the meantime we built her a new cage, its have several levels of shelves and more floor space then the other one, so hopefully that will help get her healthier. I wont be able to update till late tomorow night or Wed. as I wont be home till late tomorow.
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Good thoughts on the way for Kari {{Hugs}}.
    Rhi *Hooman* Clover *Rottie x ACD* (RIP to my BRD) Elvis and Tinny *The BCs* & Harri *JRT* Luna *BC x*

sneaking on at work here to update on this...

bad update....Kari was diagnosed with pasteurellosis, the lump under her ear was an absess from it, the seizure was cause by the absess getting into her ear and affecting her brain.the good news is she made it through the minor surgery to remove the abess just fine, the bad news is that it isnt over yet. we have to sqeeze the puss out of the area every day, as well as give her antibiotics everyday, and then all we can do is hope she pulls through it.
    Shayna
    Mom to:

"sister" to:

Oh no poor Kari. I will continue to keep her in my prayers.
    Forever in my heart...

Cali, I will pray for your little Kari tonight. My mother had a rabbit that I loved. Take care Kari and Cali.

I will be hoping that Kari pulls through this and gets better soon.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

ok more detail...

the poop thing was just basic gastrointestinal, we already had her on an all hay diet for it and the vet said that was good and just continue with that.

she then did a smear on the lump to see what it was. now the vet was 98% sure the absess was caused by pasteurellosis, but not 100% without having a culture done which would have taken a few days. I left her at the vets to have the absess romoved..during which I was terrified because my 5 years bunny was being put under to remove a lump that we didnt even know for sure was caused by pasturella. ok so after it was done the vet called me at work, it was comfirmed as pasturella, and part of the absess that we couldnt see was actually in her ear canel, which was why it reached her brain so quickly and caused the seizure.

so the absess has been removed, but we have to keep the area clean, squeeze it every day to get the puss out, and give her a shot of baydril every day for 2 weeks. in addition we need to make sure the her immune system can focas on the pasteurellosis , so we moved the birds into another room since they flap around loosing feathers and featherdust everywhere, the new cage and ripped up carpet turned out to be a VERY good thing because that elminated tons of dust and bacteria right there...basicly we are doing everything we can to keep down the stressers on her system, and hopefully she will be able to fight this off.

here are some pics from last night..I am dlinking to them as the lanced part is very visable, so dont click if you are squeemish
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...rphs/Kari1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...rphs/Kari2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...rphs/kari3.jpg
    Last edited by cali; 09-03-2008 at 10:25 AM.
    Shayna
    Mom to:

"sister" to:

How's Kari doing?
    Forever in my heart...

we are calling her our little "miracle bunny", less then a week of treatment and she is like a different rabbit. she has no problems with puss thing or getting her medicine, she just lays down quietly putting up no fuss. all her poops are back to normal from the all hay diet, and she suddenly has more energy then I have ever known her to have. the absess is healing amazingly, she is hardly even producing any puss anymore(extremly good sign).

these are some videos of her from last night..and she did even more running around then what you see here lol
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cj91ZO0PFrk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0-1KtHuuQE
    Shayna
    Mom to:

"sister" to:

Wonderful news! I had been thinking about that little bun of yours today, and I am happy to log-on to find a good report. Good vibes still headed that way for her, I hope she continues to do just as splendidly!

She is so cute hopping around! Kisses going out to her.
    The Minions:
    {The Dog: Towser & Raiden} {The Cats: Khaith, Martha, Adelaide, Snowball, & Floki} {The Bird: Gir}

just to update, Kari is doing so well that the vet said to let the incission close..she has produced no puss for about 5 days now. she still has 1 more week of her medicine then she is done, and I am supposed to start intoducing veggies back into her diet(1 at a time, leafy greens only for now) and see how she does. her energy has gotten insane..honestly she was never this energetic before. we are going to see about bunny proofing the basment and letting her free roam of the basement while we are home..I have to get her trained to quite eating carpet first though. she just has so much energy that I had to padlock her cage.. because she broke out THREE times last night. before this, in 5 years she had only bothered to escape her cage 3 times ever..nevermind this 3 times in 1 night buisness lol
    Shayna
    Mom to:

"sister" to:

Sounds like Kari is doing very well! That's great!
    Forever in my heart...