Thread: Kittens and worms

Kittens and worms

This is going to sound silly but I know many of you have had kittens and litters of kittens. But is it true that kittens whether they have been exposed to soil of any sort just have worms so they need to be dewormed when you get them or is that only when they are raised outside? Just wondering if that is true since I have 3 little kittens I am fostering but keeping them away from my other cats till I know they are 100% healthy. I was just wondering so I know if I should get them in right away or wait till they are a little more use to the environment before running them around again???? Any info would be great....
    Thanks!

*I've been Boo'd*

Get a clean baggie, get a poop sample and drop it off at your vet for a fecal exam. This will show if the kittens have any worms or other parasites.

When are they going to the vet?
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

I would do what Catty1 said

I would try to either get them to the vet or drop off a sample. Many vets deworm the kittens regardless. I just don't know when they "become of age" or are old enough to take the meds. It seems to me they deworm them early. I don't know how old the kittens are now....... I would error on the side of caution.

Keep us posted.

Maybe I will just see if I can get them in this week. It will take that long to get them aquainted with my bunch. They are about 9 weeks old cute as can be.... I am just fostering them for now but am finding myself being a little drawn to the one orangie she really is a hunny bun. We finally had a poop this evening and it isn't runny so I am going to guess they are probably ok but just to be on the safe side I will take a sample in if I can't get them in to see her early week or so.....I just wasn't sure if they are born with them or if they aren't exposed then they should be fine....But Chloe didn't look sick and we took her in and found that she had coccidia and I don't want these babies to have any of that.....They are so much fun though!!

*I've been Boo'd*

Vets say that many babies are born with them; I just worm them anyway since rounds don't always show up in the poop, depending on where they are in the cycle.