Thread: Need help.. keeps peeing...

Need help.. keeps peeing...

My pug who I've had for 2 yrs now all of a sudden keeps peeing in the house. Since we have moved he never did in the old house. He has always had the odd poop accident, but now peeing in the house So at first he peed on my bed. I thought it was the cat and cleaned it up thinking maybe her litter box was dirty Then it happened on the bed again and I thought it was Mercedes since she was having issues with an infection for such a long time. So I cleaned it up again. Then it happened again on the bed and I realized it was him. So the upstairs is now gated at all times. It stopped for a couple weeks. I came down to do my laundry a few weeks ago and picked up a sweater off the laundry room floor and there was pee on it. UGH! I washed it and made sure from then on to gate the upstairs and keep all clothes OFF the floor. I have also been letting him out more frequently and he KNOWS what to do outside. So fast forward there have been no accidents for a few weeks. I come downstairs to open the rec room windows and immediately smell pee. He peed on the couch, the pillows and the blanket. WTH! I don't know what to do. And I don't get why everytime he goes he has to go on something that belongs to us I mean he doesn't just go on the carpet!

Someone please help. He is fixed and has no bladder issues.

Me-24
    Hubby-25
    Daughter Zoey is 2 !!!!
    Jasmine 1 month

I'd get him to the vet just to rule out a UTI.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

yeah I think I will... Just to rule it out even tho I know thats not the case...

Me-24
    Hubby-25
    Daughter Zoey is 2 !!!!
    Jasmine 1 month

You are sure it's the pug doing it?

How old is he? Sometimes older dogs can have urinary incontinence like people do and can take medication to help. The only reason I'm thinking that is because it's been on the bed and dogs with that problem tend to 'go' in their sleep and you said you've been finding it on the bed.

I'd make a vet appt. to not only rule out UTI, but also in case it is incontinence your vet can help there. If it's behavioral then your vet should be able to give you a few tips on things to do at home that may help.

Good luck.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

He is 2. I am pretty darn positive its behavioral, but like I said I will check with my vet. The reason I am positive is because he isn't allowed to sleep on our bed or allowed up there at all actually he sneaks up there. The same with the rec room we aren't down here during the day so he would have had to sneak down here to pee today he doesn't come down here to sleep on his own. And as for the sweater in the laundry room no one sleeps in there.

I am 100% positive it is him like I said I at first thought it was the cat and the other dog, but have ruled them out. I know too when I pulled the blankets out into the kitchen to bring them to the wash the cat and Mercedes were sniffing it like crazy where as he was staying away.

I noticed today too I had to actually tell him to go pee as soon as he goes out he lays in the sun or barks till I bring him back in. I was thinking maybe since this is such a busy street he is to preoccupied barking to pee?? Then as I finally got him off the cement smelling the grass the dog next door started barking and he got side tracked and went on another barking fit. UGH!

Me-24
    Hubby-25
    Daughter Zoey is 2 !!!!
    Jasmine 1 month

First of all, as already said, please take him to the vet, and rule out problems. UTI is the first thing that comes to mind, but there could be other things, like bladder stones, and others. Don't assume there is nothing physical.

If it is determined that this is behavioral rather than medical, It sounds like you need to go back to housetraining 101. You need to go outside with him, and make sure he urinates several times (males need to go several times, not just once, especially if they are marking), and is truly empty. Many dogs get distracted, and even though they "know what to do out there," they start sniffing or whatever, and forget. You need to be there to remind him to go potty.

It helps to have a key word (I tell my dogs to "Go potty!"), so they know what you mean. To train this, you'll need to wait until he's in the act of urinating, then give your command of choice, and immediately praise him. He'll get it. Then, when he goes outside, and forgets what to do, you can remind him.

And just because he's neutered does not mean he does not want to mark. Based on the fact that you said he's been doing this since you moved into a new house, I'd be inclined to believe this is marking. If he's 2, he's also reaching sexual maturity, so he'll be more wont to mark, too. Many, many spayed and neutered dogs want to mark; it's instinctual, even when the gonads are removed. When cleaning the messes, make sure you clean thoroughly with an enzymatic cleaner that destroys the odor. If the dog can still smell it, he will want to re-mark it. Nature's Miracle is a good cleaner, but not cheap. I like Capture, which I find at Sear's. It's a lot less expensive, and works better, IMHO.

If this problem is not medical (and remember, only a vet can determine that), you may want to confine him when you cannot supervise. And when you can supervise, either tether him to you with a leash, or baby-gate him in the room with you, That way you can see what his signals are, and as soon as he appears to be uncomfortable, or is sniffing or pawing, out the door he goes.
    Sarah, the human, Naples the Greyhound, Cooper, and Manero the Borzoi boys.
    Always in our hearts, Gunnar, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

Hair of the Dog by Doc's Blend GPA-WI NBRF