Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rutherford BACK from surgery......AGAIN!

Rutherford BACK from surgery......AGAIN!

Only a little over 4 months ago Rutherford had a lump removed.

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthre...having+surgery.

It was determined to be a fibrosacroma. And there was a possibility of return.

Well, it is back with a vengence. And this time it has opened up through the skin. (picture attached)

He also has a bony lump on his rib cage. After an xray, the vet cannot say what it is. The good news is that she doesn't feel it is (nor is it causing) bone cancer.

The other bad news is Rutherford had bladder and kidney stones, more than he had at the time of his other surgery. And since he is already eating the prescription food, and since the crystal he has are calcium oxylate, the vet says there isn't a whole lot more to do for him. And she simply does not feel he should go through a surgery to open his bladder again. Her hope is that since he has had the PU surgery, that these stone can pass without problems.

But back to the open sore...... It should be removed. But there are no guarrentees that it won't return. But I feel because of how fast it has grown and the fact that it is opening up, that it should be removed ASAP.

Rutherford's surgery will be Sept 4th. Poor guy has really gone through a lot. And he is a real trooper about it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by jenluckenbach; 09-04-2008 at 06:17 PM.

Oh no!!! Poor Rutherford, he's been through so much.

Prayers and positive thoughts on the way.

From Decker with Love

Jen, I'm so sorry to hear this. He's always been one of my favorite's. I sure hope that his surgery will go well and that this time his lump doesn't come back. I'll keep him in my thoughts and prayers.

Oh, no, Rutherford!

I don't know a lot about fibrosarcomas...are they the ones that can appear at vaccination sites? Hopefully they are not systemic, and that removing this will prevent a return.

I thought there was a food that worked on his type of crystals and stones...poor baby!

Prayers that he gets all fixed up and all better soon!

How are his spirits? His appetite?

{{{{hugs}}}}
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Goodness, Rutherford has had his share of problems. We'll be sure to pump up the prayer volume for this guy's surgery.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Prayers for Rutherford!!! Hugs for Jen!!!
    Nine is Fine!!

Poor Rutherford!! Is he on the Hills OXL diet? He sure has had so much to deal with in a short time. I hope the surgery to remove the sore will go smoothly and that it will not return. Prayers going out for Rutherford from B.C.!

Prayers for Rutherford. Poor guy. I might make a suggestion that I follow with Dakky, post PU surgery. I give him the c/d wet twice a day, and add maybe a tablespoon of water to it. This makes it a little bit like a gravy and ups his water intake. Big deal with the PU guys.

Good luck, Rutherford!

Rutherford eats royal canin SO, but only the dry. I need to try to add the wet to his diet.

I am actually researching this stuff.

https://www.pawhealer.com/59/Bladder...one_Herbs.aspx

https://www.pawhealer.com/Productdetails.aspx?id=216

It may turn out to be just what he needs. I just want to make sure the herbs have ono serious side effects.

Jen, I sure hope that you'll be able to find something to help him. Storm also had the PU surgery but he can still get crystals so I have to make sure that he eats plenty of wet food every day and I also add some water to it. So since he's been on Innova Evo he's done great plus he loves his food.

I am so sorry to hear about Rutherford. Keeping paws crossed for him.

Poor Rutherford, and poor you, Jen!
    Kim Loves Cats and Doggies Too!

Rutherford you are in my prayers and thoughts! I hope his procedure goes well. Sending positive thoughts your guys way.
    Sincerely,
    Kat

Rest in Peace Baby, Hercules, and Sydney - If love could have saved you, you both would have lived forever!

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." ~Ghandi

I'VE BEEN BOO'D!

Rutherford is home from his day at the vet.

The clinic's other vet did his surgery. When he looked at the xray taken by the first vet, he felt that Rutherford's lungs looked slightly clouded. He questioned whether this could be the cancer moving to the lungs. If it were, then the anesthesia would not be a good idea.

Since the lump to be removed was shallow, he decided to take it without general anesthesia. (this actually worked in everyone's favor. Cheaper! Also less recovery time for Rutherford)

This vet also can't say what the other more bony lump is. Except that removal does not seem to be an option. So, whatever it is, Rutherford will have to live with it.

So now my boy is all shaved now again, with a bunch of staples in him. But he sure deserves all the help I can give him......he is the best little lap buddy and sweetheart.

Aw, lots of (((HUGS))) to you and gentle pets to Rutherford. I sure hope he's comfortable for a long time to come.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11