Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shadow's Memorial Video

Shadow's Memorial Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkw02Yj-ZHY

Gosh, I miss this girl more and more. I've finally spent time to make a short video. Being home is harder now, because I'm constantly reminded that she isn't here anymore. The house just seems so...incomplete. No more big lug to step over in the doorways and no more slobbery face leaving drool spots on your leg while you eat. We've kept her food bowl down and her collar on the shelf. I miss her. Thanks for taking time to look at her video, I really appreciate it.

Here's just a copy of what I wrote in her memorial thread...
    April 2nd, 1996 a sweet little Rottweiler came into this world. I was called up and rushed over to my Aunt's house to witness the miracle of birth. As the puppies grew, I was there, the curious little 8 year old that had only ever wanted a dog to call her own. I witnessed the docking and the dew claw removal, I was there when they opened their eyes and they became my favorite playmates as they grew.

Six weeks after the puppies were born I came home to a very special surprise. Shadow was mine. I had no clue that such a thing would ever happen and I was in disbelief. But my dream had come true, only she was even more special than I ever could have imagined.

As the years went by the lazy puppy turned into a strong, stunning adult. We'd "race" the neighbor girl and her Boxer on rollerblades constantly. It was one of Shadow's favorite activities. There I was, an 80lb ten year old with her 100 pound young Rottweiler...on rollerblades. Most would think that that would be a deadly combination, but Shadow was special. Shadow was raised in a house full of children, as my mom did daycare, and she was always the gentlest giant. Many times we'd dress her up, pretend she was the horse for our fake carriage, lay on her or read her a book and she never once complained.

Shadow taught me many things in life. She taught me patience; she was the first dog I ever attempted to train, and she could be extremely stubborn. She taught me endurace; whether it be rollerblading or going for walks she was always ready to go and I had to try hard to keep up with her. No matter what the weather conditions were, she always looked forward to our adventures. She taught me tolerance; she was always so gentle with everbody, and even took the additions of the rest of the Hoodlums in stride, even if she was an only child for 6-7 years. She taught me unconditional love; no matter what she was always as happy as can be wagging her little stump. But most of all she taught me how amazing dogs really can be. She was a dream come true to me and was a once in a lifetime dog. She made my passion for dogs grow and my love for Rottweilers stronger.

I will never forget her quirky love for jets. She could be laying in the garage and come running out to bark at a streak in the sky. We never did understand it. Or the way she loved ice cream more than anything. If we went for a walk and started heading towards her ice cream place she'd pull me the rest of the way there. Or the way she'd go between your legs when she wanted a good ol' butt scratch. It often surprised guests when she did it the first time, and it was always funny watching Shadow trying to go between the legs of somebody shorter. I loved the way she hopped a little when she barked, or growled when you hugged her. We always said it sounded like she was saying "awwww". I loved it when she'd beg and to get your attention she'd suddenly look out the window, at nothing, and growl. You'd ask her who was out there and she'd stare intently at your food. Like, see, I'm defending your house, I'm a good girl now give me food. I'll never forget the first time we went to the lake when she was just a puppy and she fell in the water. She was terrifed after that and never wanted anything to do with swimming. Or she'd chase our 4-wheeler at the cabin through the woods. We'd make my dad slow down so she could ride in the trailer with us. She loved cuddling in front of the TV as well. If you had a blanket and a pillow and were on the floor you were fair game. Most times she'd end up with your entire pillow and most of the blankets by morning. She was never much into playing with toys but she did have a favorite. A little purple dinosaur that she absolutely loved. She liked to sit at the top of the hill in the backyard and bark at the people below. Even before we ever fenced it in, she wouldn't go past that hill. She also loved the winter when we went sledding. She'd chase us down the hill on our sleds and grab our gloves, it was her favorite winter activity. I could go on forever, she was the best all around dog, we could take her anywhere and do anything with her.

I already miss her more than words can describe. She will always be my cow dog and I will always remember the big lug.

Ashley & Crossbone ("mini ACD")
    Living with my parent's: Jack (Lab/Beagle), Micki & Mini (JRTS)
    RIP Kyra: 07/11/04 - 11/3/12; Shadow: 4/2/96 - 3/17/08

I can't watch this right now, because I'm at work and I don't want to walk around with red eyes for an hour. But I will definitely watch it when I get home....all alone.
    I did read your memorial and it is beautiful. Shadow was such a special dog for you, and your family.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Major LES, that is a lovely tribute. Great pictures, I chuckled at quite a few of them. It's so nice she leaves so many wonderful memories.

I'm so glad I had the opportunity too meet Shadow & even give her a butt-skritch or two at the PT pic-nics.

She'll keep right on watching over you from the Rainbow Bridge. Love never ends.

I know exactly how you feel. Our rottweiler, Nick, was the best dog ever.
    So smart and so funny. We miss him every day. I'm sure your Shadow was just as special. Your tribute is so sweet.

That is such a beautiful tribute to such a wonderful dog, Ashley. she'll always be with you, always. I adored Shadow as I am sure everyone else did. I wish I had the pleasure of meeting her.
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

I have to agree, major LES. You did a great job! I loved the pics of her eating ice cream

Rottie's seem to be a one of a kind breed, she looked like a very special gal.

Ashley
    Dogs: Nova, Konnor and Sitka

Beautiful Tributes

BEAUTIFUL Video and Written Tributes, Ashley!

Shadow will be Proud to display those Tributes
    at The Bridge.

{{{HUGS}}}

/s/ Phred

Beautiful tribute, Ashley.

{{HUGS}}

I put off watching this as long as I could. What a great memorial video Ashley. Shadow was beautiful and sweet as ever.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Ashley I seen this thread on Thursday but didn't want to be a blubbering mess so I waited until today (my day off) to watch it.

So very touching and gives me big time LES.

I'm very glad I got the chance to meet her.

(((HUGS)))

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

I finally got to watch the video. That was wonderful! It really shows what a wonderful dog she was and how much you loved her. And the song was perfect too.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Ash, I know how you feel, I really do. Loosing your first dog, your childhood friend. I am so sorry. Shadow was really one of my favorite PT dogs. I could tell she was so loving and SO loved. What a silly dog! :P I know her and Sas are friends at the RB.

What a great video, the song is perfect

I finally had the time this morning to load your video, Ashley, and I made sure I had plenty of tissues on hand. Shadow really was such a special girl, and she really did touch many of us through her pictures and antics (mainly ice cream and chasing jets ). It is still strange not seeing her when I open a hoodums thread. Thank you very much for sharing that video, I loved seeing that gorgeous girl again. {{{Hugs}}}

Another blubbering mess checking in. You found your *dog of a lifetime* in your very first dog. The shock of life without her is something I wish you didn't have to experience at your young age. I know the rest of the Hoodlums are there to help you keep focus. A good thing because the road you are traveling is so very difficult. I'm so glad you were able to put down your feelings in the memorial and the video. I should have done that when I lost my Bailey, and now 13 years later, I don't know that I can let my heart revisit what was.

A thread like this brings back a part of the pain of that time of separation and loss. Hugs to you Ashley. And remember what love she gave to you was also given to her by you. A good dog and ...a lucky dog.
    *Until one has loved an animal, a part of ones soul remains unawakened.* Anatole France

What a beautiful tribute to a wonderful girl. You did a lovely job Ashley, the song is perfect.

Shadow sure was a once in a lifetime dog, you can see that in all of the photos. Thankyou so much for sharing with us.
    Rhi *Hooman* Clover *Rottie x ACD* (RIP to my BRD) Elvis and Tinny *The BCs* & Harri *JRT* Luna *BC x*