Thread: Anyone in Connecticut busy Friday morning???

Anyone in Connecticut busy Friday morning???

Jay Baldwin from Ansonia, CT was arrested for bludgeoning a mama cat and torturing and killing her 4 babies. He is being tried Friday, August 22 at New Haven Superior Court at 9 a.m. A woman who adopted 2 kittens to him asked for them back. One was alive, the other was dead. She notified authorities. A necropsy showed the kitten died of severe head trauma. He has other aliases he uses to get the animals on craigslist.

I'm urging anyone and everyone who lives in and around Connecticut to show up in support of prosecuting this scum to the fullest extent of the law. If we don't speak up for these poor babies, who will??

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Can I suggest that everyone go to their local craigslist and post this story to anyone selling/adopting animals in this way? It's never a good thing and people just don't realize the wacko's out there.
    Claudia

Kitten465,

Great idea!!! Only one problem is I don't know any of the aliases he goes by. I'll have to look into it.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

Here's the story:

ANSONIA — When Irene Hudobenko ran an advertisement in April looking for people to adopt a litter of stray kittens, she had no idea that one of those kittens would provide police with the evidence they used to arrest a man she calls "a monster" on animal cruelty charges.

On Friday, police served a warrant on Jay Baldwin, 57, whose last known address is Woodbridge Avenue, where Baldwin was living when he contacted Hudobenko about her ad for the kittens.

Baldwin is charged with 10 counts of animal cruelty. He was held in lieu of $5,000 bond and arraigned Friday afternoon in Derby Superior Court.

Police received a complaint about Baldwin from Hudobenko, who had given him two kittens. Baldwin killed one of the kittens, police said, and a search of his apartment turned up nine more kittens and several birds, all of which appeared to have been abused and neglected.

Three of the kittens were immediately euthanized because of their injuries, and a fourth was put to sleep later. The other animals are still being treated, police said.

The Ansonia arrest comes three weeks after Baldwin was arrested in Milford on charges of larceny, burglary and criminal trespass.

Hudobenko said Baldwin seemed like "a good guy" and an animal lover when he came to look at her kittens. "He really seemed like he qualified," she said. "He seemed so nice and told us about other animals he had rescued. I figured if he rescued kittens, he must be a really good guy."

The story began in
    Advertisement
    April, she said, when a neighborhood stray had kittens. One of her neighbors, knowing she is an animal lover, brought them to her. "They were afraid they would get hit by a car," Hudobenko said, "and there are a lot of hawks in the area."

The mother cat rejected the kittens because they had been handled by so many people, she said, so for the next several weeks she became the kittens' mother. She set her alarm clock so she could get up every three hours to bottle-feed them, and brought them to work with her to keep up the schedule.

When they were finally old enough to be adopted, she put an ad in several area weekly newspapers, Hudobenko said. One of those to respond was Baldwin.

"I asked a bunch of questions to anyone who called because I really wanted them to go to excellent homes," she said. "People tell me you have to be careful because people with snakes will use them for food." Baldwin seemed sincere in his desire to adopt, she said. He picked out two male tiger kittens, coming to get them May 23, she said. After that, she checked in with him every few days to make sure the kittens were adjusting to their new home.

But one night when she talked to him, he appeared nervous, Hudobenko said, and soon after that, he told her he was getting evicted.

Feeling bad, she offered to help him move, Hudobenko said, which would give her the opportunity to see the kittens again. She also offered to take the kittens back.

But then, he admitted to her that one of the kittens was dead, she said. She retrieved both the dead kitten and the other one still alive, she said, and immediately took the dead kitten to her veterinarian, Dr. Jeffrey K. Schpero, to find out why the kitten died.

An autopsy found that the kitten died of hemorrhages in the face, eyes and brain. "He was very thin and his body showed trauma and there was so much blood in his mouth" she said. "The vet said he thought I should pursue it further."

She immediately gave her findings to the police, Hudobenko said. "I had no idea he was going from a good home to a monster," she said.

Hudobenko kept the surviving kitten and has a picture of the deceased kitten hanging in her bedroom. "Every morning I looked at it and said, 'We are going to get him,' " she said.

"I knew that he wouldn't stop [abusing animals], and I know that he has gotten others that are now all missing in action and all gone," she said. "Unfortunately, my kitten had to pay the price, but my boy has saved so many lives."

Here's another story from the New Haven Register:

ANSONIA — A 57-year-old man was charged Friday with 10 counts of cruelty to animals after one kitten died of head trauma while in his care and several other cats were ill and malnourished, police said.

Police Friday morning arrested Jay Baldwin, whose last known address was 55B Woodbridge Ave., was taken into custody in New Haven without incident, police said.

Baldwin’s arrest “stemmed from an investigation into a complaint that Baldwin had caused the death of a feline and had severely neglected another feline that had been given to him,” police said.

According to court documents, a woman lodged a complaint with local animal control officers, indicating that she needed help retrieving her two kittens from Baldwin at his Ansonia address.

Baldwin had contacted the woman and told her that one of her kittens, named Mario, had died, and had “blood coming out of its mouth.”

When the woman confronted him and asked why he didn’t let her know the kitten was ill so she could take it to a veterinarian, Baldwin allegedly told her he was too busy, an affidavit states.

The woman told Baldwin that she wanted both kittens back, and she then took the dead kitten to have an autopsy performed, court documents show.

The autopsy concluded that the kitten died of trauma to the head and neck and had blood in its eyes, nose and mouth, according to police.

When police spoke with Baldwin, he allegedly told them he went to work and found the kitten dead when he returned.

He told police he would never hurt an animal, then started crying, an affidavit states.

During the investigation, police got a warrant to search Baldwin’s residence, where nine more cats and five birds were found June 27.

All of the cats appeared to be neglected or abused, police said, with problems ranging from poor nutrition to trauma and parasites. They were taken to a veterinary clinic for treatment.

Three of the cats had to be euthanized, because of their poor medical condition, and the rest received treatment.

A fourth cat then had to be euthanized during the course of its treatment, police said.

As of Friday afternoon, the remaining animals were still being treated.

According to police, animal control has had dealings with Baldwin in the past, in which he allegedly was evicted from apartments and left cats behind. Baldwin, who has been evicted from the Ansonia apartment, was arraigned Friday in Superior Court in Derby before Judge John Cronin.

The judge ordered Baldwin to undergo mental health evaluation and issued an order that he not have any pets.

Baldwin was being held in lieu of $10,000 bail pending an Aug. 22 court appearance, according to the court clerk’s office.

It says he was arraigned in Derby Superior Court. I'll find out which court he'll be at on Friday and post it as soon as I know. The better the turnout, the more exposure this whole despicable case will get.

Aside from all the other atrocities that he committed, a kitten hanging in his house? He'll graduate to humans next. He needs to be committed. This is a Jeffrey Dahmer.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Medusa,

My thoughts exactly.

Donna, I'll be there in spirit to see that this lowlife gets everything the law can throw at him. Just reading about what he has done to these animals makes me sick to my stomach.

The hearing is at the Derby Superior Court on 106 Elizabeth Street in Derby, CT. Court is at 10 am. The judge is an animal lover. This is a VERY high profile case and all the media will be there including many members of rescue organizations (including myself, of course). I plan on being the first one there. This guy's wrap sheet is a mile long.He has many aliases. I spoke with Irene, the woman who adopted her kittens out to him unknowingly. We spoke for a good hour. Not only did the police not respond after neighbors called complaining of hearing things thrown against the wall and cats screaming, but the representatives in her area did nothing to help get this case pushed to a higher level. It was the reps outside her area that helped. I intend to remind them that elections are approaching and not to get too comfortable.

3 of the cats had to be euthanized because of severe injuries, including sodomizing, severe head trauma. How awful that must've been for those precious babies.

Irene said she and her boyfriend went on Craiglist and emailed any and all people advertising any kind of animal on there to let them know about Jay Baldwin and all the aliases he went under. All the neighbors that called for the police are going to testify (she's planning on suing the police department) and said she will have to get a restraining order because she knows he's going to come after her once he's out, as he's already threatened her.

She also told me that when he was arrested at a Milford, CT motel, there were cats in the room.

This guy is definitely going to jail for more than a slap on the wrist. He is a serial cat killer.

He knew damn well what he was doing. The animal rights advocate is going to push for a mandatory felony.

I so can't wait till Friday. Watch the news. I'll be the short stocky broad with a red shirt that says, "Abuse an animal, go to jail. It's that simple" I'll either be on the news, or being carted off in beautiful stainless steel bracelets. We'll see.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    "An eye for an eye" - this is what this monster deserves. Unfortunately, we are too civilized to impose that kind of sentence upon this low life piece of scum. After reading the posting about this case yesterday, I have been unable to get the whole matter out of my mind, and just the thought of the pain and fear that those poor helpless creatures went thru, makes me physically sick! I wish I could be there to voice my disgust and opinion of what needs to be done with this individual. No matter what the judge gives him, someday he has to face a power much higher than any earthly judge!! And I personally don't think he deserves any mercy on his soul - if he even has one!!!

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    "An eye for an eye" - this is what this monster deserves. Unfortunately, we are too civilized to impose that kind of sentence upon this low life piece of scum. After reading the posting about this case yesterday, I have been unable to get the whole matter out of my mind, and just the thought of the pain and fear that those poor helpless creatures went thru, makes me physically sick! I wish I could be there to voice my disgust and opinion of what needs to be done with this individual. No matter what the judge gives him, someday he has to face a power much higher than any earthly judge!! And I personally don't think he deserves any mercy on his soul - if he even has one!!!
    Very Well Said.. All of what I was thinking to the tee.. Now do you think this scummbagg has a soul??

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Quote Originally Posted by lvpets2002 View Post
    Very Well Said.. All of what I was thinking to the tee.. Now do you think this scummbagg has a soul??
    No - it's highly unlikely! I always thought there was at least some good in everyone, but this has me doubting that belief!

supporters wanted

anyone who would like to show support so jay baldwin does not get a slap on the wrist again, are asked to come to the derby superior court no sept.8th @ 9:00am. hopefully we can keep a strong showing to the court and media that we wont let this disappear and be forgotten. he has gotten away for too long and needs to be severly punished. the more attention that is drawn to it, the less likely the court can sweep it away.

thank you,
    concerned