Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chirrup? Mrrrrrr? Meow???? or silent Meow???

Chirrup? Mrrrrrr? Meow???? or silent Meow???

Rascal is definitely a MEOW MAN....when he wants something. However, sometimes when I enter a room where he is, he will greet me with a silent Meow - always my favorite.

Annie just MEOWS..............(and meows and meows)..........she also hisses at Emma when she thinks she should be first. She is my brat cat.

But Emma is a Chirrup girl and when she gets what she wants such
    as a good chin scratching she Mrrrrss.............I just love her sounds.
    Normally she is very silent - and only "talks" to me......she also gently nibbles my fingers when I scritch her.

My favorite Cassie Cat sound is sort of "mrrrp" - gets higher in pitch at the end. Sort of like, "Mom?" She's a chatterbox, though. When I get home from work, she tells me all about her day: Meow! Meow! Meow!

Edited to say: Yesterday I got a sound from her that I haven't heard in a long time. It was her annoyed, Put Me Down Now! voice: "Meeaaa!" Short, high pitched, loud! (I picked her up and gave her too big of a hug, and she was not happy.)
    Last edited by cassiesmom; 08-18-2008 at 10:27 AM.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Taz does a quiet little meow when he's just saying hello. When he is hungry (or thinks he is hungry) it's a LOUD fast series of meows. And when I lock him out of the bedroom it's a super LOUD WOARRRR!!! Taz also has an irritated meow that he uses on Paizly ALL the time now.

Paizly has a super quiet, and sometimes silent, meow. But in the car it's such a pitiful cry. It's those meows that end with a groan. When she wants out of her room it's just a loud regular meow.

I've only seen Taz "chirp" when he used to see birds out the window. He doesn't do that anymore though.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Love this thread!
    Heidi Ann meows when she is very demanding about something (like food). In general she is the most quiet af them all.

Sammy Bo squeaks and also sings opera - like a soprano that is. For such a big boy, his voice is cute and funny, and not something one expects to hear.

Chloe chortles, chirps- she talks a lot. All the time. We carry on real conversations.

Tubi meows and I am not kidding he says MOM, MOM, MOM. He also makes another little chortling sound deep in his throat, I am not sure I know how to describe it.

Leo has a high pitched meow and also makes a very funny chortle when he announces his presence upon entering the room.

And our RB Annie used to have this very soft, soft meow to go with her coat and small little body.

All of the above

Eve ... well she just likes to talk ... a lot And, sometimes she yells too She is a constant little chatterbox who answers most of your questions with a variety of soft meows, chirps and questions (only when she's confused) She also likes to purr (rather loudly) when she's in full tilt cuddle

For such a little girl, it's hard to believe that she can have such a big voice

She has trained us pretty well though to understand her needs, her moods and of course, her demands and we love her for her outstanding communication skills
    Yours in Whiskers

I'm not young enough to know everything.

"The Best Mirror is an Old Friend"

“The secret of what is small is the secret of clear-sightedness; the guarding of what is soft and tender is the secret of strength.”

• Lao Tzu

Smudge has a whole language - his "just chatting' is an Ek or an Enh, "Welcome Home" or "I Love You" is a voiced purr/meow like "Brrrrrr!" or "Mrrrrraaaak!" and sometimes he seems to be attempting Egyptian ("Mneh" or "Eh-ak") or some boreal tongue ("Ikka-brr" or "Enga-mah") and when he gets excited he says "EE-kah!" like his voice is changing or "Meow-wow!"

The funnniest thing he ever said was, one day, he said "ik-ik-ik" and I said, "You sound like a dolphin." Smudge replied, clear as day and sounding rather proud of himself, "I am!"

Love, Columbine

Jim has the most demanding meow in the house. Loud and forceful!!

Simba has a very scratching sounding meow, sounds like he has a hoarse throat all the time.

Lucas (RB) was famous for his silent meow, how I loved the look on his face when he looked at me and said:
    " . . . . ".

They are all just a little different.

Storm usually has a tiny baby rasby meow but lately he seems to have found his voice so it's gotten much louder.

Sunny chirps, howls, squeaks, and meows very loudly. He can also carry on a conversation if you talk baby talk to him.

Sky is usually very quiet and has a soft rasby meow unless he's very hungry and then he turns up the volume. He also chirps a lot.

Starr has a very high pitched chirp,squeak, peeping meow. I'm not sure how to describe it. Here's a video that I made to show how excited he gets when I feed him. Please turn up the volume so you can hear his little squeaks.

Pearl has the typical meezer meow which can be very loud. She loves to carry on a conversation and can even meow the word "mama". She'll also chirp and make some funny meows as she's running around playing or chasing one of her siblings. She also meows to announce that she's using the litter box. She's done this since she was a kitten. Here's a video of Pearl talking but she didn't talk as much as she normally does. If you listen closely you can hear her say "mama" at least 2 times.
    http://www.dropshots.com/krazyaboutkatz#date/2007-03

Ziggy Stardust has a tiny high pitched meow but if she's going for a ride in the car it turns into more of a howl. When she demands something her meow can become quite loud.

All of mine have such different voices and sounds they make.

Finae is basically the silent kitty, except for when she is feeling left out, and is upstairs all by herself. That's when she makes a really strange howl. Other than that, not a sound except purrs.

Jorgie is a quiet boy as well, except when he wants to play, or if I am dishing out canned/wet food. When I do that, holy cow, you'd think he hadn't eaten in weeks!!! He makes this pitiful "meeeewwwwwwww" sound, lol.

Sophie just chirps mostly, or she makes these little "mrrrrehhhh" sounds when she wants your attention.

Honey has a basic meow, but when he is annoyed or is ticked off that he's not getting canned food when HE wants it, he makes the weirdest "meow roww rowww wowww wowww" sound. It's very gutteral sounding, and not pleasant at all.

Boris makes these funny little mrehs and sounds like she's cursing the other cats out. If she's feeling upset, cornered or somewhere that she feels she can't get away from Zach (he will follow her and annoy her), she makes a very pitiful sounding meow for me to come and get her, or get Zach away.

Furbee is strange. She doesn't meow much at all, except sometimes she makes these really strange cries when she's all alone in a room. When she first started doing it I thought she was in distress, but she's usually just relaxing and lounging on the countertop. Sometimes I think it's just a "come and give me love and attention", which is what I always do when she does do it.

Calloway has a very high pitched meow. He usually sounds pitiful as well, and it gets my attention. He loves to be loved on, and he loves to cuddle. If he feels like he can't jump up to where I am, he gives a very loud MEOWWWW for me to pick him up, lol.

Zach is the one I can hold a conversation with. He usually does this MREH sound, and he's loud, lol. I can sit and talk to him for a good 20 minutes, just asking him what he's doing, how he's feeling and things like that, and he just chats away. He's a good purrer too. Sounds like a motorboat, and snores as well.

They are all so varied, but I can tell exactly who it is that is meowing or howling from where ever they are in the house.

Boo is just plain loud. He does a really long meow when he wants treats.

Yodie is just as loud but it's usually when she has a catnip toy in her mouth and she acts as though it's fresh kill. She couldn't meow when I first rescued her due to the ear polyp that grew down into her throat, so after it was surgically removed, she appears to love the sound of her voice ever since.

Coco Puff has so many meows but the two funniest are the "Oh well!" and when I ask him what his name is, it sounds as though he's saying "Raoul!"

Specs has the most pathetic meow ever. He sounds like a lost orphan.

Pigeon sounds like a pigeon warbling; that's how she got her name.

Creamsicle has a raspy meow, as though she's straining to let it out. And it's loud because she's deaf.

Puddy sounds like she's saying "Uh oh!" And she makes different sounds for different reasons. If she's going to vomit, she does a yodel meow. If she's in pain, she sounds like a woman screaming. (Obviously a meow that I never want to hear again.) A timid little meow if she wants something and I need to follow her to see what it is.

This is a cute thread. I love hearing the different sounds that cats make.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

JOHN HANCOCK THE HANDSOME MERRROOOOOOOS!!
    JUKE JOINT JOSEPH, MICHEAL THE DREAM AND PRINCESS THE PURRRRFECT FAVOR THE TRADITIONAL MMMMMMMEEEEEEEEEEEEEOOOOWW
    MIQUELITO THE LITTLE ORANGE LION AND POUNCIERGE THE PLAYFUL ARE MMMMRREEEEEWERS EXTRODINARE
    BO BO THE BODACIOUS IS A LOUD YOWWWER
    TUBSTER PANTHER HARDLY MEEOWS AT ALL
    EBONY TUBSTER MEEEEEEOOOOWS AT THE PORCH ENCLOSURE AS HES BECOMING USED TO EATING HERE!!
    AND SCRAPPY 2S A PESRISTANT MEEEEEEEEEWWER ESPECIALLY IF SHE SENSES OLD CRACKER BARREL CHEESE, YUMMMEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I LOVE TO HEAR MY CATS, TO ME THEY ARE SAYING WE LOVE YOU, DAD!!!
    THE BEST FEELING IN THE WORLD, BAR NONE!!!!!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

sig chirps, and when he does meow, its real quiet and "girly". which is funny for a big ole man cat! but mostly he's very quiet.

chuck had a language all his own. the most vocal cat i have ever heard. LOL!
    "The best and most beautiful things cannot be seen or touched - they must be felt with the heart." ~~ Helen Keller
    ------------------------------------------------
    Chuck (rb) meowmie misses you!

------------------------------------------------

thanks kittycats_delights for the sig!

13. It depends on what they are trying to communicate! Mostly Edwina does a "nyet" ...could she be Russian????

Eddie has a large vocabulary. There is his "hello" when he sees me, his Where are you!!!! cry and his I want my blankie yell. He also has a "poor, poor pitiful me" cry....

Zerlina (who I suspect has a little Burmese in her) has a whole vocabulary of meows, purrs, chirrups and chirps. Don Juan was a talker when I first got him, but lately he's just done silent meows for his dinner, brushing attention, etc...

Zerlina's usual request is "PAY ATTENTION TO ME! PLAY WITH ME!

Liz
    [b]"Virtue is triumphant only in theatrical productions." --The Mikado

Forgot to mention .... Eve's favourite word: "Meee..out?" as she's standing by the door looking innocently at you
    Yours in Whiskers

I'm not young enough to know everything.

"The Best Mirror is an Old Friend"

“The secret of what is small is the secret of clear-sightedness; the guarding of what is soft and tender is the secret of strength.”

• Lao Tzu