Thread: Biting Dog. Help.

Biting Dog. Help.

Alright, well.
    We recently got this Beautiful Doberman. She found us. She came into our yard late at night and just stayed there all night barking. At first, we were scared she might attack us if we tried to shoo her away so we Just waited. We gave her some water and sat outside( at the other end of the yard) Once she got the water she stopped barking. She came over to were we were sitting and sniffed us all. Eventually we decided to feed her, and she let us pet her. I personally bonded with this dog very well, and have grown to love her. She loves me, and wags her tail as hard as she can when she sees me. She seemed like the sweetest dog. She would lay in front of out sliding glass door and wouldn't budge till one of us (Me or my sister) went out to give her some attention.

Well anyway, my Grandfather was doing some pool work outside, and he tried to come in by stepping over the dog. He didn't give the dog any warning or anything. Well, when he tried to step over the dog she bit him. ( on his ankle)
    Ever since she bit him, whenever she sees him she just barks viciously.

She was pretty good after that( My grandpa was usually out of site). But then y Father came over to visit. My mother thought it would be a better idea to take Tiny(The dog) into the side yard to meet my dad. I told her I didn't think this was a good idea because Tiny hasn't spent much time in the side yard, and she'd be scared.
    Well She let my dad walk up to her and she sniffed his hand. She didn't bark or anything. But when my dad tried to sit down, he scraped the chair on the ground and the sound spooked the dog. She then bit my dad on his ankle. It wasn't as hard but it did break the skin slightly. Again, she never let my dad approach her again. She just barked viciously at my dad whenever she saw him.

Then when my Grandmother tried to give her a dog treat she bit her. (She liked my grandmother before this). My mother said it was because it looked like my grandma was going to hit me, but she was just reaching for the box.
    Again, whenever she saw my grandma she barked.

So we said we cant keep this dog. No matter how Much she loves me. She has to love everyone in the house. We had 13 people coming to our house for some family thing. I suggested we get her out and away from the house for this, but that didn't end up happening. We moved her out to the front yard, again I didn't think this was a good idea because she hasn't really been out there. but she just barked all day constantly, and everyone is getting annoyed . She doesn't bark when I go out there but I can't stay out there all day. My uncle build her a pen And we are trying desperately to find her a home. I love this dog, but I can't be the only one that's able to go near her. I got stuck with all the responsibility of this dog, only because she doesn't hate me.

What I need is some suggestions. I don't think anyone is going to be able to want, or keep her if she bites everyone.
    I really don't want to take this dog to the pound because they'll put her to sleep right away.
    I'd also like some opinions as to why she behaves this way, and is there any way to fix it.

We took her to the vet, she did good. She got a rabbis shot and something else. The vet said that she was around four years old.

I really would appreciate some help. Thank you.

You absolutely need to get some obedience training with this dog. Schedule a class as soon as possible. Right now she thinks she is in charge, and is protecting you, and the house, but she will be far less anxious and therefore less barky, once you get some training with her, and learn how to teach her "the rules."

Dobermans are naturally protective, but they are also VERY intelligent and will respond to GOOD, properly done training. Don't try to do this yourself, get you and she enrolled in a good class somewhere, as soon as possible.

Meanwhile, if there are going to be strange people over, take her for a long walk/run to tire her out ahead of time, and then keep her on a leash ad with YOU at all times.
    I've Been Frosted

Hey, Someone suggested something called Doberman Rescue.

Has anyone had any experience with anything like this? Or know anything about it?
    How do they usually treat the dogs?

Doberman Rescue would be a great resource. If you need to rehome her, they would probably take her, but if you just need training, they can likely refer you to a good experienced person in your area.

http://www.dogsaver.org/doberman/ has a list of states that you can click for someone near you. "Doberman rescue" is not one specific organization, but it is a group of people across the country who have special expertise and love for this breed.
    I've Been Frosted

Thank you loads Karen!
    A nice lady from a Doberman Rescue place called us back, She'll be picking up the dog tomorrow.
    You were very helpful.

Okay! Glad I could help. Be sure to tell her about Pet Talk, and to keep us updated!

Dobermans can be fabulous dogs for the right people, but a full-grown Dobe is not easy for a newbie to take on!
    I've Been Frosted

At least the dog will find another home...

Personally, I can tell you right off the bat that I never ever ever let anybody unfamiliar step over my dogs. At our office, some people bring their dogs and they will lay on the ground. I will never step over their dogs without asking. Stepping over a sleeping/laying dog is extremely threatening. I'm sorry your grandfather got bitten, but it sounds like there was severe and constant miscommunication between dog and humans.

Obviously, I love Dobermans with a fierce passion, but at least this girl will find another home where there is clearer communication and leadership.