Thread: Rabbits? (Need info)

Rabbits? (Need info)

I've never been a really big "rabbit" person. They only experience I've had with one was when we petsat one over Christmas break. The rabbit was probably around eight-ten pounds, wasn't tame, was stuck in a tiny, tiny, TINY cage (it could lay down and turn around - didn't even have room to hop), and would kick me every time I tried to either get him out to run around or pick him up from running around to place him back in his cage.

But I saw a picture of a Lionhead rabbit the other day and ooo'd and ahhhh'd over it, and that sparked my little research flame. So I've been reading as much as I can about rabbits as house pets, trying to decide if I might be a suitable rabbit owner or if it just isn't ment to be.
    So if anyone could answer my questions, that would be wonderful.

1. If I got a rabbit, it would be a dwarf of some kind. I think a larger one would freak me out too much after the bad experience I had with the one we petsat, and I don't think I could provide the room needed for a large rabbit. Would a 44''Lx20W''x20H'' solid floor cage be appropriate for a dwarf?

2. How much floor time would it need? This house has too many predators in it to have the rabbit be a full time house rabbit, but floor time I can do. The amount of floor time I can give is an hour in the morning and an hour or two again in the evening. I have a 6'x6' laminated cubby area for my pigs and that is where the rabbit would be at first, but then it could graduate to my whole room. (But the pigs and rabbit will NOT be together, don't worry.)

3. If the first two questions sound okay and I decide that I'm interested in persuing further, what breed of rabbit should I be looking into? If I get one I'd like a small one, the smaller the better, but I'd also like it to be halfway "calm" in disposition - not prone to biting. A good rabbit for a novice owner. Obviously I'm looking into Lionheads. I prefer the more "boxy" look (like with Lops) to the "hareish" look.

Thanks so much!
    ~My Clan: Blackie, Rose, Chloe (dogs), Casey, Dameon (ferts), Pheobe (kitty), Dot, Louie (Cavies), Joey (Teil), Pikachu (Dwarf Hammie), Sadie (Guide Dog), R.I.P. Rush (15yrs), R.I.P. Lucy (4yrs)~

If any of your dogs or cat or ferret have any prey drive, you would have to be completely and utterly diligent. A rabbit can be literally frightened to death, even if the predator - the dog cannot get at him or her in the cage. Do you have a separate room where the rabbit could be kept that the other would never see it?
    I've Been Frosted

Just a word of caution about size...

For what it's worth...

My Piper was suppose to be a dwarfXlop. He is now approaching 5 yrs old and weighing in around 12lbs, the same weight/size (actually he is a smidgen taller) than my cat. He is HUGE. (And his ears are "uppers" not "downers.")

I wasn't looking for a particular breed when I chose him but I was/am rather suprised at his size. If size is a determining factor for you, I hope you consider adopting one that's fully grown.

Piper lives in a Leith Bunny Abode, the 48" double level condo.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    If any of your dogs or cat or ferret have any prey drive, you would have to be completely and utterly diligent. A rabbit can be literally frightened to death, even if the predator - the dog cannot get at him or her in the cage. Do you have a separate room where the rabbit could be kept that the other would never see it?
    No, the rabbit would be kept in my room where the ferrets roam during the day (they can't get to the pocket pets' cages - they are very secure) and where my dog (she's a sweet heart around the smaller animals) sleeps at night. We have a cat too, but she is declawed and I kick her out of my room if she happens to sneak in as I don't want her and my ferrets tangling.

So having predators in the same room would be a problem, even if secured?

This is all highly up in the air and I'm just fiddling at the moment, trying to decide if it COULD work. I'm not even sure as to yet that I really want one.

And, yes, I would most likely adopt.
    ~My Clan: Blackie, Rose, Chloe (dogs), Casey, Dameon (ferts), Pheobe (kitty), Dot, Louie (Cavies), Joey (Teil), Pikachu (Dwarf Hammie), Sadie (Guide Dog), R.I.P. Rush (15yrs), R.I.P. Lucy (4yrs)~

Quote Originally Posted by Blackrose View Post
    No, the rabbit would be kept in my room where the ferrets roam during the day (they can't get to the pocket pets' cages - they are very secure) and where my dog (she's a sweet heart around the smaller animals) sleeps at night. We have a cat too, but she is declawed and I kick her out of my room if she happens to sneak in as I don't want her and my ferrets tangling.

So having predators in the same room would be a problem, even if secured?
    Yes. If one of them decides to try to get to the bunny, it could quite literally die of fright. Rabbits are naturally prey species and have the instincts thereof.
    I've Been Frosted

Don't get a dwarf, they are horrible pet rabbits.
    Experienced rabbit owners wouldn't even reccomend them to other experienced owners.
    If you want a good first rabbit get a Lop, they are a great breed, very docile and generally a great first rabbit.
    Please look at your local shelter first too, there are so many bunnies that are in shelters. Realise they live as long as dogs too and they need to be spayed/netured or your going to have a nasty rabbit that you won't be able to touch and the risk of cancer.

The floor time is MINIMUM 2 hours a day.
    If you can only commit to that though don't get one.
    It's not fair to let them out only 2 hours a day.

If you want a animal that is moody, can be nasty, not like to cuddle, chew things, hard to catch then by all means go for it.
    They can be great pets but they are hard work and you need to be commited to them.

Also if your not going to be commited to feeding lots and lots of veggies then you might want to re think getting one too.
    Their diets should be veggies,fruit and hay only (more so veggies than fruit). Some people seem to think pellets are good for them but to each their own I guess.

Oh another thing, they can't live on shavings and new paper causes their feet to turn green. Wire cages give them abcesses on their feet unless they have a big peice of carpet to get away from the wire.
    See ALL my pets here
    Dogs:Pixie.Shrek
    Cats:Milo.Duck.Hank.Molly.Zoe

R.I.P:Thunder.Rockee

Quote Originally Posted by buttercup132 View Post
    Don't get a dwarf, they are horrible pet rabbits.
    Hey. Miss Hoppy was part Dwarf most likely, and she was a great bunny! It is important to get your rabbit spayed/neutered as early as the vet recommends for health AND behavioral reasons.

But it doesn't sound like Blackrose's circumstances would be good for a bunny right now anyway.
    I've Been Frosted

Of course there are exceptions and with her being a mix it could out weigh the bad.
    But dwarfs are not a first time bunny.
    See ALL my pets here
    Dogs:Pixie.Shrek
    Cats:Milo.Duck.Hank.Molly.Zoe

R.I.P:Thunder.Rockee

Well, from what it sounds like, a rabbit wouldn't be a good fit. In the four years I've had my ferrets and the year and a half I've had Chloe I haven't had an incident with any of them with pocket pets in their cages, but I'd rather not take the risk since it sounds like Rabbits can be quite the spookers.

With my schedule and my other critters I could only manage an hour of floor time in the morning and two hours in the evening. Also from what is sounds like, that won't be enough.

It may be a better mach once my ferrets have passed on, as right now they are king and queen of floor time. I may look into again then. I'm a sucker for a cute face (and that Lionhead was ADORABLE!), but a cute face means nothing if cute thing is incompatable.

If you want a animal that is moody, can be nasty, not like to cuddle, chew things, hard to catch then by all means go for it.
    LOL They can't be worse than ferrets, and I still love them.

Oslo, a Netherland Dwarf, was my first bunny. They are tons more skittish than other breeds. That's why they usually say dwarfs don't make good pets.

Niņo & Eliza