Thread: Guess my breed/mix!!!

Guess my breed/mix!!!

Hello I'm new here.
    We have been trying to figure out what my dog is mixed with. We have gotten him DNA tested and should have the results in 2 weeks but I wanted to get everybody's idea. Alittle bit of details about him, I got him from the pound a month ago, hes about a year and a half, 46lbs as of 2 days ago but could gain 5lbs, his tail has been docked, his coat is short and hard, it is not waterproof, he has rear double dew claws, and overall is a very friendly dog. Enjoys chasing my ferret and cat but wont hurt them, loves other dogs, and just adores people, he thinks hes a lap dog. Guess away please.

Definitely some Shepherd in him, maybe Lab/Pitbull or American Bulldog/Shepherd mix? I see Shepherd in his coat with the texture and tipping, but a broader face - which is why I mentioned the pittie or bulldog with that wrinkly forehead. I threw Lab in for the coloring, and that he looks taller than a just Shepherd/Pittie would be ... does he have webbed paws?
    I've Been Frosted

Just looked at them and I would have to say yes they are webbed. It does not go all the way down to the tip of his toes but theres something there. Though I've never seen webbed paws before, I could be wrong. The shepherd would explain his black saddle, just pictured a shepherd mix as having long ears and a pointy nose which he does not have either. He does have long legs and a very lean build, his chest is not deep or broad. Though I do believe he needs to gain more muscle, he was in an animal shelter for 2 1/2 months in a small kennel, coming home he was very out of shape.
    One thing that bothers me is his tail is docked. Normally pitbull tails are not docked, so why would they dock a mix's tail? Unless he was mixed with something that normally gets their tail docked and/or they thought he would look "cool" with it docked. I'm thinking boxer mix, maybe lab? Probably something else as well.
    Something else strange, when it comes to his hair standing on his back(saw this last night with him barking at a cat) it only really goes up on his spine, like a mohawk from the top of his head down to his shoulders. Never seen this before on a dog, maybe I haven't been around enough dogs

Pit bull/Shepherd, definately! I am in love. welcome to pet talk!
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

I actually saw Rottie... which could explain the tail docking... and also the Shepherd part (saddle)....

anyway.. cute as can be!!... welcome!!
    Corinna´s Christmas Card Swap ´06
    dedicated to a lovely woman who won many hearts along her life...........
    she will be deeply missed.......Thank you for letting us be a part of your life, you will surely remain in ours FOREVER........R.I.P. Dear Corinna

Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful dude that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

notes-to-my-husband blog

http://365project.org/isabelle/365

Quote Originally Posted by Husky_mom View Post
    I actually saw Rottie... which could explain the tail docking... and also the Shepherd part (saddle)....

anyway.. cute as can be!!... welcome!!
    I saw Rottie immediately as well.. My guess is Rottie/Shepherd

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

I also thought Rott when I first saw him. But hes much smaller so it would have to be a mix with something on the medium/small size range. Its still a possibility. I talked with the lady from the DNA lab, hopefully I will have his results at the end of the week, early next week.

He looks like a big border terrier.

Border terrier/boxer/shepherd/pit bull/cocker spaniel
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Rottie for is docked tail and blocky build....some kind of terrier (Pittie?) for his size and head structure....and perhaps some GSD for the ears, coat, and back leg featherings. And maybe some Cattle Dog, too.

If you crossed our old Cattle Dog/GSD mix with a Rottie/Pittie mix, that would look about like your boy!

Rottie/Pittie mix:
    http://a3.vox.com/6a00c10e0f7b7fd3b4...ad938e1d-320pi

GSD/Cattle dog mix:
    http://www.globalpaw.com/forum/pictu...459/ppuser/343

So....I'm going to go either with Rottie/Pittie/GSD/ACD mix or Rottie/Pittie/Aussie/ACD mix. (As a neighbor's Aussie/ACD mix sort of looks like a less bully white and tan version of your dog - bobbed tail and everything. Picture of a so-called "Texas Heeler": http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/images16...eelerBlue1.jpg)

Whatever he is he is adorable!
    ~My Clan: Blackie, Rose, Chloe (dogs), Casey, Dameon (ferts), Pheobe (kitty), Dot, Louie (Cavies), Joey (Teil), Pikachu (Dwarf Hammie), Sadie (Guide Dog), R.I.P. Rush (15yrs), R.I.P. Lucy (4yrs)~

My new crazy guess.
    A Bullmastiff mix!!! Yes I said it. This is from the creator of the rottie/jack russell mix. I really have no clue and I'm just having fun with this. The amazing thing about this dog is depending on what angle you see him at he can look like a completely different dog. Below is his "bullmastiff" pose picture, though it may just reinforce the rottie idea.
    Alot people are saying Shepherd to explain the saddle, I really just dont see Shepherd in him. Alot of hounds and some terriers also have black saddles. And does he necessarily have to mixed with something with a black saddle to devolve the black hairs along the back?

Test results are in...they only detected one breed and that was Rottweiler. He tested at over 75% rott and couldn't find any other breeds present. Which means either hes purebred(which hes not), or the breed was not present in their identified breeds list, http://biopetvetlab.com/dnabreeds.htm, or its such a large amount of breeds mixed together that they couldn't be determined.
    Its been bitter sweet, I'll probably never know 100% but at least I know 75%.

Any guesses on the 25%?

I still say he looks like border terrier, boxer, shepherd, cocker spaniel, pittie. It's too bad they have to be more than 10% of something for it to show up.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

I definately see rottweiler now. He really looks rottie/shepherd/pit bull. He reminds me of my girl, Jenny who is a rottie/yellow lab mix. I attached her picture below. we've had her since she was 2 months old and she just turned 10 in April. please excuse her nails, she needs a trimming! she's the sweetest dog you'll ever meet, my hound too once he gets to know you that's thats in the 2nd picture with her. all our dogs are sweet. the scar is from a non cancerous lump she had removed last year. your baby is gorgeous.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kcspix3 062.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	258.9 KB 
ID:	40072   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kcspix3 063.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	257.7 KB 
ID:	40073  
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

I'm thinking rottie/pit as well. The test doesn't not cover pitbull or american staffordshire terrier, same thing. I was told by the DNA customer service lady if the breed was not available they would take the next closest breed. I guess she was wrong. The results clear state if its not one of the breeds listed than it will not show up. Anyway it would make sense for the missing part to be pit. He acts very pit like, hes got the ears of a pit. It doesn't completely explain his coat. Instead of posting the new pics I took of him I'm posting the link, if this works. http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v6...ythelost/Karu/

I seriously doubt at this point new pictures will reveal anything more. But never know.