Thread: Peeing on my bed

Peeing on my bed

Help!!! My female is almost 8 months old and has now peed three times on the bed. Two of those times I was in the room. Today I was getting ready for work , a major change in routine since I've gone back to teaching and am away for 12 hours a day. The last time I was painting the 3rd floor and they had to be kept out for a few days while I was painting and when she got back in she peed on the plastic covering that I had rolled up and placed on the bed , she did this while I was in the room. The first time was when I'd had her for less than a month and had to be away for over 12 hours a day for about a week. Another time we had overnight guests who brought their own pillows( who had a cat that had slept on it) and she marked the pillow with a few drops.During the last episode my husband was around more than me so she wasn't completely alone. She is a very dominant and confident kitty and her houesmate Bodhi a male has not displayed any of this behaviour. What can I do to stop her from this inappropriate behaviour. The re are 3 litterboxes one right by the bed even and they are kept very clean.Help, help ,help!!!!

Sounds to me like she is showing her displeasure at the disruption in her schedule, and you obviously can't quit work to stay home with her (although I'm sure she assumes that is the only appropriate response ).

Long ago when I first moved back in with my parents, my dad was still in his cat-hating days and he and Tubby did not get along very well. To show my dad just who was boss, Tubby peed on their bed - right on my dad's side. Needless to say that didn't go over very well, and after a few times I was threatened to either stop it or Tubby would no longer be welcome (it wasn't put quite so nicely to me at the time ). My mom and I worked out a solution where after making the bed, she would cover it with a big piece of plastic. Seems Tubby doesn't like the feel of the plastic under his paws, so he stayed off the bed - thus eliminating the peeing on the bed. As far as I know he never did it anywhere else to compensate for not being able to go on the bed, he just stopped the behavior (whew!). That is the one and only time Tubby has ever went anywhere besides the litterbox on purpose.

So my suggestion is to lay plastic on the bed, or I've heard they don't like tinfoil too, but it might be hard to get a piece of tinfoil that big. I would make sure the whole bed is covered so she doesn't just go on another part of it. As for changing her habit of letting you know she's upset, sorry but I can't help you there. Hopefully she will get used to the new schedule and accept it.

Good luck!
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

Aby females

From what I understand about Aby females, they are very, very territorial. My Aby's breeder has told me time and time again, that the males are much easier dealt with. All that said, when I first got my two, Graemer, the male decided it was ok to pee behind the refrigerator. I didn't know it for the longest time, and one day, after I was looking for a shade that had fallen (?) off the window near the refrigerator, I noticed the liquid. Sure enough, it was cat urine. Sure enough, that is where Graemer had been hanging out. I blocked off the area to him and he just forgot about it. I also yelled at him every time he even went near that area. He got the message. (Fingers crossed here, that it never happens again!)

Try giving little missy female cat some more attention. That's what I have done with Miley, my female, to stop her licking her fur. It seems to have worked. Maybe your little one is trying to get your attention, since you have started being away from the home so much. Give it a try.

Good luck. Those little Abys are a hand full, I know.

P. S. As I type this, my two Abys are in my bedroom trash can, sorting out what they think is worthy of their attention. Such evil little critters those two!