Thread: Mewing models slink into New York's famed Algonquin hotel for fashion show

Mewing models slink into New York's famed Algonquin hotel for fashion show

Miss Edwina, your calling awaits!
    (This was a fundraiser for pets!)

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/0...e_fashion_show

For Photo Gallery, click here
    More pics:http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgur...%3Den%26sa%3DN

Mewing models slink into New York's famed Algonquin hotel for fashion show

Thu Aug 7, 9:02 PM

By Verena Dobnik, The Associated Press

NEW YORK - The catwalk really was a catwalk at this fashion show.

Show cats dressed in everything from an Elvis costume to a sequined satin dress came to strut their stuff at New York's Algonquin Hotel.

The feline fashion show unfolded in the dining room where Dorothy Parker presided over famously catty Round Table literary luncheons in the 1920s.

The show was a benefit for an animal welfare group and honoured Matilda, the Algonquin's resident cat, who just turned 13.

Matilda, the birthday girl.
    She is the hotel's ninth cat since the tradition started in the '30s, when actor John Barrymore dubbed a bedraggled stray Hamlet.

Matilda, a pedigreed ragdoll breed with long, silky, cream-coloured hair, held court on a chaise lounge by the entrance.

Cocktails with names like Purr-tini and Pink Pussycat were served at Thursday's show for $20 apiece.

Guests included representatives of the nonprofit North Shore Animal League in Port Washington, on Long Island.

The adoption shelter, which was to receive the proceeds of the benefit, offered more than a dozen homeless cats for adoption.

The Westchester Feline Club supplied the show-quality cats, with fashions created by New Jersey pet fashion company Meow Wear.

Matilda has become an Algonquin celebrity, with her birthday celebrated every year. She also receives about 30 emails a month, which are answered by longtime Algonquin employee Alice De Almeida.

"We from Stuttgart in Germany are really your fans," says one such missive. "We've read about you in our newspaper und about the very fine lodge in which you live."

It's signed, in German, "Miau."
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

San Francisco, CA, where life is happy and gay!
    I didn't know where to put this, so I'll just add it here as it's too cute not to share:

Little Ms. Mitzi Mitts
    Our Photo Albums are
    Here and Here
    In memory of my beloved fur children, Goldie, Mishi and Mitzi.
    Rest in peace and play hard at the Rainbow Bridge.
    Goldie: 9/5/88 - 4/10/03
    Mishi: with us from 5/5/03 - 7/13/07
    Mitzi: with us from 4/19/03 - 1/23/10

I've actually met Matlida several times! I make it a point to go have a cocktail at the hotel when I'm in NY. Matilda is usually there on the check in counter! Cute Cute and More Cute!
    Claudia

I caught Edwina trying to make reservations to NYC! She wants to check out the competition!

COMPETITION, BE SERIOUS.
    WHEN TO COMES TO ELEGANT CLASSY CATS , THERES NOONE WHO CAN COMPETE WITH MY HH LADY EDWINA ROSE.

MY DEAR ONE IS THE MOST BEAUTIFUL CAT ON PET TALK.
    JUKE JOINT JOSRPHS IN LOVE
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Thanks, RedHedd! This nekkid kitty is Hale Bopp, dressed as Scarlett O'Hara by her New York owner Sandy Adler. Green drapes, anyone?
    It's quite the outfit!

One of the articles had a place for comments - and one yahoo said, in effect: 'They're raising funds for the North Shore Animal League? They euthanise cats all the time!' And he posted a link.

Well, DUH - ya think some extra money might HELP that situation, oh brainless one?

Some mothers do 'ave 'em...
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda