Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oreo is sick again! New vet update msg 24

Oreo is sick again! New vet update msg 24

Oreo's not been feeling very well lately. He's been walking very sluggish and not been as energetic as usual. Tonight, his eyes are nearly swollen shut from the "gunk" that is in them. They were open and clear last night... the last time we gave him the benadryl (like we're supposed to do twice a day) he got sick, so we haven't given it to him in a couple of weeks. I know him being sick with these allergies is our fault for stopping the benadryl... but he got sick and couldn't even move right. He was just acting NOT himself, so hubby and I decided to see how he'd do without it. Guess that was stupid.

When we adopted him from that abusive home, had I known then that he'd have so many medical issues... *sigh* I'd have still taken him. He's so loving and sweet. He doesn't deserve this.

He's going to the vet as soon as we can get an appointment. They're open late on Thursdays, so hopefully after we get off work tomorrow we can get him over to them before they close.

I'm just upset and felt like posting... please don't lecture me on stopping the benadryl. I feel bad enough. I'll update after he sees the vet; he'll probably have to get another steroid shot. That'll hold him a week and a half or two. Poor baby.
    Last edited by Scooter's Mom; 08-16-2008 at 06:56 PM.

I will miss you forever, my sweet Scooter Bug. You were my best friend. 9/21/1995 - 1/23/2010
    Goodbye, Oreo. Gone too soon. 4/2003 - 9/12/2011.
    Farewell & Godspeed, sweet Jadie Francine. You took a piece of my heart with you. 11/2002 - 8/8/2016
    Charlie kitty, aka: Mr. Meowy. Our home is far too silent now. 2003-6/14/2018

No lecture here....I hope Oreo is well soon. Give him some ((Hugs)) from me please.
    ~Traci, Duke, Champ, Chopper and Ryleigh

On occasion I have been know to speak Chopperese.

Thank you.
    We thought the medicine made him feel worse ... (I've had that happen to me with medicine...)

Hubby says Oreo also has "something" on his chest. He won't explain in much more detail, but said, "We have a very sick pet, he NEEDS to go in tonight."

I didn't get any sleep. Poor Oreo just laid there next to me, on the floor like always (he isn't a people sleeper). Vet opens at 9, I will be calling to get Oreo in. They're only open 'til 8 tonight. They're also open starting at 7 (or 8?) on Saturday. He should be seen tonight, but I guess Saturday will have to do if they haven't got ANY time available tonight.

I will miss you forever, my sweet Scooter Bug. You were my best friend. 9/21/1995 - 1/23/2010
    Farewell & Godspeed, sweet Jadie Francine. You took a piece of my heart with you. 11/2002 - 8/8/2016

I am so sorry that Oreo does not feel well. I hope you will be able to get him into the vets today and they will be able to help him. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers.

"That they may have a little peace, even the best
    dogs are compelled to snarl occasionally."
    --William Feather

Prayers for all of you. Come on Oreo, allergies is something the vet can help you get through!

Sorry to hear Oreo's not feeling well, I hope the vet can help him!
    {{hugs}}
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

Oreo's got allergies, like we thought. That is the least of our concerns at the moment.

He has ulcers on BOTH eyes. They are ugly. The poor baby has not whined ANY, so we didn't know he was hurting. He is such a good dog... and he needs to be groomed so we can't see his eyes all that great at the moment....

He's got a few meds for his allergies... plus drops for his eyes we are to give 3x a day (before work, as soon as we get home from work and before bed). He goes back in on Saturday for a quick check up. If NO sign of improvement, we may have to take him to a doggie opthalmologist.

We're such bad pet parents.

Ouch! Those are painful, is what my vet has told me. Poor Oreo. I hope the drops help. One should be for anti-inflammation, to reduce the pain.

Any idea how these developed?

She didn't know, really. She did a tear stain test to be sure his eyes were producing enough moisture, which they are. I wonder if it isn't because of his allergies... one thing leading to another type thing. Oh yeah, in 3 1/2 months, he lost 1 lb. according to one of their scales, 1.5 according to another. So my observation that he wasn't eating much was right.... gotta get him back up to a healthy 15.5 or so, otherwise he looks too thin.

Sandie, right now he's got the antibiotics - the pink kind that goes in the fridge, torbugesic to keep him from hurting so much, and his eye drops. In a week or two we are to start him on prednilisone, too. And, he got another steroid injection yesterday. It's the last one he can have for nearly a year... She only does 2 or 3 a year, and that is his 2nd.

He wagged his tail this morning for the first time in days. I take that as a really positive sign. When I called him to the kitchen so I could give him his medicine, he came. That too, I take as a positive sign.

He was such a good boy this morning, I gave him 3 little training treats (the tiny ones). Jadie got some too, for being a good girl and not trying to maul him for the meds.

Crystal, you are not bad pet parents. These things happen sometimes. And we learn from them. You are a PT pet parent, so that makes you a wonderful one!!
    I hope Oreo is feeling better soon and the medicines kick in and do the job.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

You are not bad parents at all! It is quite obvious you care so much about Oreo, and he is lucky to have you. You took him to the vet and got him hooked up with all he needs to help him feel better, just like any great parent would do.

I'm happy to hear he is acting a bit better and seems happier.
    Give the little guy some extra loving from me, alright?

Get well soon, Oreo!
    Good vibes headed that way.

Any word about what the "something" on his chest was/is?

The thing on his chest area is scabbing from his chewing... hubby was just kinda afraid to look closely at it. He's got a weak tummy. (He can't even pick up a hairball without gagging.)

Tonight when we got home from work and gave Mr. Oreo his medicine, he was so happy. He even did the tail wag/butt wiggle. I was happy to see that. I am going to keep giving him all the medicine... and pray he does improve.

Thanks for the well wishes and the words of encouragement. I've been feeling bad since I haven't had much time to really spend one-on-one with any of the babies since I've been in classes.

I'll let ya'll know what the vet says tomorrow after we go for his 1st follow-up.

Glad to see he is responding well! Keep it up, Oreo, lots of folks are rooting for you!

Oreo seems to be improving already!
    We can see some white in his eyes. Keep him in your thoughts, please!