Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BC vs. Aussie

BC vs. Aussie

Okay, call me stupid, but I can NOT tell the difference between a non b/w Border Collie and an aussie with a tail.

Are the differences extremely subtle or something? Enlighten me!

ETA: I'm talking mainly non-conformation dogs, too. Working non b/w border collies and working aussies with tails look the same to me!

I usually focus on nose/muzzle and shape of the body. I've noticed that the majority of Aussies are a bit thicker built, and their muzzles tend to be a bit broader and more oval shaped.

"Did you ever notice when you blow in a dog's face he gets mad at you?
    But when you take him in a car he sticks his head out the window." -- Steve Bluestone

We dont have 'real' working Aussies here, they are all from showie lines. So it is easy to tell them apart, although some of the showie BCs look like Aussies.

It is hard to tell the difference in canadian/ USA working Aussies and BCs (Blue merls, tri's etc) not so much the black and whites.
    Rhi *Hooman* Clover *Rottie x ACD* (RIP to my BRD) Elvis and Tinny *The BCs* & Harri *JRT* Luna *BC x*

ears are a big indicator, totally flopped ears are almost always Aussie, while its possable for a BBC to have flopped ears they are much more likley to be at least partially pricked.

anouther is the pants, the fur of an Aussies pants tend to stick out, where as a BCs is always straight down.

head shape can sometimes be an indicator, Aussies are "usually" a bit blockier with shorter muzzles, but thats not always the case.

size..Aussies are upright workers bred for cattle, this makes them a bit heavier..more substance. BCs "usually" have lighter builds.

the way they move, again an Aussie is an upright worker, they move standing tall, and tend to circle. BCs have a habit of slinking, and they dont usually circle, rather they are prone to "run out ahead..stop..turn to face you"

and sometimes putting the dogs are stock are the only way to tell lol
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Perky-13 year old mix Ripley-11 year old mix

and the Prairie Clan Gerbils

Ok, here are two pictures to use as comparison. Honestly, I wasn't sure what the difference was either.
    But here is Ice (husky_1's BC, posted w/ permission):

And here is Zoee (my Aussie):

I can see the difference in the shape of the snout, Zoee's is more blocky while Ice's is more sleek. And the ears, as someone else stated. Ice's are up on the head more while Zoee's are lower and floppier.
    I'm not sure how Ice's coat is, but Zoee's is very soft from her head to about mid back. Then it gets rougher and is very think and rough around the rear. When she gets wet her hair looks like little zig-zags.

Either way, I think both breeds are beautiful, especially these merles!
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

since ice was neutered her coat seems to of gone kind oc curly on her chest & has a real thick coat, when she gets wet her fur looks crinkly like zig zags too. A lady i work with has a aussie with a long tail that works on her farm with moving cattle.

Whats your opinion on this girl?? This is a friend of mines dog... she is supposed to be an Aussie/BC mix.. she has no tail... I think I have another picture of her.

I will say this dog is VERY VERY mellow for both a border collie and an Aussie... I think she is 3-4yrs old now... I've known the dog for 2yrs old and she has always been a kind of couch potatoe kinda dog...lol

If you're gonna breed Collies, don't you forget to breed in the brains and common sense. Without that you won't have a Collie, you'll have just another dog.

I've Been BOO'd!!

For me, its hard to describe how without having both breeds in front of me and pointint out differences. But don't let me fool you -- even I can mistake them at times, especially from photos because sometimes photos are taken at bad angles.

BC's tails are usually "drop tails", whereas Aussies' tails are usually parallel with their body. Their coats are usually different, too, the way the hair lays. Their ear sets and eyes and muzzles; the Aussie's muzzle is USUALLY shorter in conformation dogs.

Conformation its easy to pick apart and tell differences, but when you get into the working dogs its a whole different ballpark since they aren't bred for looks!

It just takes practice

EDIT: Also, as others have pointed out; when my two aussies' hair gets wet, the hair "crimps", and right after it dries it is VERY curly around their back end!!

facebook

Like everyone said BC are generally have lighter bone and narrower muzzles. ALTHOUGH, some Aussies are hard to tell. We had an Aussie in at work today and before I looked up the file I thought it was a BC with a part of a tail. It had about half a tail. It was obviously out of working likes. He had pricked ears too.
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

spiritwind, the first thing I thought when I saw that dog was "Aussie". there might be BC in her, but from being around many of both breeds, my instinct says "Aussie".
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Spiritwind, It looks like a good mix of both breeds. Very pretty!
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

Quote Originally Posted by cali View Post
    spiritwind, the first thing I thought when I saw that dog was "Aussie". there might be BC in her, but from being around many of both breeds, my instinct says "Aussie".
    That's funny, my first thought was BC. So maybe it is just a Aussie/BC mix. LOL
    The reason I thought BC was the feathering on the legs is so minimal. Not that that means anything, but my Aussie has thick feathering on her legs all the way down to her feet. And I'm not an expert, maybe not all Aussies have think feathering like mine. LOL I'm just using mine as comparison.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

the lay of the hair is the main thing that I noticed actually.

example

notice the way the hair lays on the rear leg on an Aussie

as opposed to on a BC

there no no way I would discount that dog being part Border Collie though. Aussie/BC is proably right on.
    Shayna
    Mom to:

"sister" to:

Movement is quite helpful. Aussies to me are very horselike, they canter and gallop and do hackney steps. BC's slink and stalk like a lion.

BTW, my aunt just adopted a mini aussie this weekend from a family who's son is battling leukemia. We'll have to excuse that she is a mini aussie , but she is cute as a button and smart as a whip.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Here are a few more pics.... Her ears are prick, even though the pics don't show it, they are.... though I've seen purebred Aussies like that too.. so not that, that really means to much...lol

Her body screams Aussie to me, no tail and all... though sometimes when I look at her head on, ears up... I see a BC face... lol

Oh.. here is the newest addition my friends have.. this one is a BC..lol

She was supposed to be her moms new dog... a rescue BC... her mom thought she was going to get one behaved liked the one above... even though I warned her the above dog didn't act like a BC or Aussie... WAY WAY to mellow.. she didn't listen... this new one trashed the house within the first couple weeks because they couldn't give her enough exercise (live in town with a small fenced yard) and now lives with my friend cause her mom couldn't handle her... I THINK she is going to be starting Flyball soon...
    If you're gonna breed Collies, don't you forget to breed in the brains and common sense. Without that you won't have a Collie, you'll have just another dog.

I've Been BOO'd!!