Thread: formal wedding.... no gift idea!!!

formal wedding.... no gift idea!!!

My friend is getting married and her wedding is VERY FORMAL. Black tie formal.

The wedding is in two weeks and everything from her registry is already bought. I have no idea what to get her!

She's more contemporary than I am. She doesn't want photo frames, any wedding albums, or anything that will sit around for a year before she sends it to the attic to never be seen again (her words, not mine)

I hate giving gift certificates. They've been living together and have everything they need house-wise. So no sheets, towels, kitcheny stuff is needed. The crystal and china is ALL bought.

He's a car fanatic. She's very design-oriented. Both are low-key people who don't have need or want for doodads and nick knacks. They are expecting a baby in February. I know right now she'd love a gallon of paint to do the baby's room.... imagine wrapping that gift! hmmm.... I could wrap some paint cards and tell her I'd buy whatever color she wants.

HELP! Any ideas would be appreciated.

I want a gift that will make her and her future husband laugh - I know the paint idea would make her laugh but being the formal wedding it is, I feel silly doing that, plus my husband would kill me!

My husband and her fiancee have become good friends. In fact, last night hubby told me that the fiancee is panicking right now because the rings haven't come in yet. I had no idea the rings were still in limbo but he did!!!

Just because everyone is dressed formally doesn't mean you can't use humour!

If you go with a paint store gift certificate, wrap two big paintbrushes in a box with the gift certificate in an envelop on top of them. You might see if you can have their individual names and the wedding date engraved on each handle!

Or - go with a gift cert for a baby supply store, and put a baby's outfit or t-shirt with a funny or loving saying on it! Or again - their names and wedding date! (would be hilarious for the baby to wear! Neutral colour like yellow, unless they know if it's a girl or boy).If they truly are good friends - I think your husband might think combining a gift certificate with a 'sample' of what's attached to it is okay. See what he thinks.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Even if it is well known, I don't think baby gifts are appropriate for a wedding.

How about a coffee table book, or a magazine subscription? Or flowers/plants to be delivered every other month for a year? Or cheese of the month? ( I am assuming wine is out of the question until after baby is born.)

For a formal wedding (any wedding -- but especially a formal one) the gift should be sent to the home and not taken to the reception. It makes it so much easier on the bridal couple!

Quote Originally Posted by Catty1 View Post
    Just because everyone is dressed formally doesn't mean you can't use humour!

If you go with a paint store gift certificate, wrap two big paintbrushes in a box with the gift certificate in an envelop on top of them. You might see if you can have their individual names and the wedding date engraved on each handle!
    I love this idea!!

"Even if it is well known, I don't think baby gifts are appropriate for a wedding"

I have to agree. It should be their day as a couple. The first step in their lives together as it were. I think it could still be humourous. I saw someone come into my carwash today (the deluxe sort where you wait in a waiting room for them too clean your car) She had a gift card she got for her wedding. She said it was the best thing she got! It was unlimited for a year so she goes once a week! I thought what a clever idea! I'm sure there are his/her spa deals as well. I think the idea of a "service" rather than another "thing" is great.

Claudia

I absolutely think you can give them something no one else can - your help and expertise as a designer, and labor.

Get a nice piece of heavy-weight card-stock, and create a "room redo-help" certificate, including help with design choices, paint and physical labor - as in painting. Now, to make it look like a traditional wedding present, get a gift box, fill it with pretty tissue paper, and place the certificate inside. For weight, add a pretty, wedding - or car-themed paperweight. Or "his and her" Matchbox cars. Then you have a nice box to wrap, a gift that is fine for them to open, and even if you and they know the "room" in question is the baby's nursery, it isn't publicly mentioned. And the paperweight is something small but useful, and personal, or the matchbox cars are just fun desk toys until a couple years from now, when baby can play with them. But for now they are grown-up toys.
    I've Been Frosted

Whenever someone comes into the store to buy a wedding gift from a registry and everything has already been purchased, I recommend gift cards at the store they're registered at. JMO

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Quote Originally Posted by moosmom View Post
    Whenever someone comes into the store to buy a wedding gift from a registry and everything has already been purchased, I recommend gift cards at the store they're registered at. JMO
    Coworkers are going in on a joint gift card to your favorite place (BB&B). I'm one of the coworkers... so basically I'm getting her two gifts, but coworkers don't know I'm invited to the wedding since I'm the only one she invited from work.

I forgot to mention she LOVES gift baskets. Not the perfume and shampoo kind, but a basket with necessities like spatulas and such. All the spatulas and such have been bought. I'm stuck because she mentioned her future mother in law bought a mess of bathroom stuff (I would have bought her monogrammed towels since I know she LOVES monograms too) and she's going to redo the kitchen soon, so I can't buy new hand towels and potholders, etc for the kitchen until she redoes it.

Sooo... what can I get monogrammed besides towels? She simply adores monogrammed stuff. She already ordered monogrammed stationery and such.

Or what kind of gift basket can I make up? Like I said, all cooking stuff is bought. I could get car care stuff - that would be something he'd like, but she'd be unimpressed. Laundry stuff? I loved the nice basket and supplies I got at my wedding shower.... doesn't that seem more shower-worthy than for the big day?

Quote Originally Posted by catnapper View Post

Sooo... what can I get monogrammed besides towels? She simply adores monogrammed stuff. She already ordered monogrammed stationery and such.
    You can get nice glasses etched with her monogram! And his'n'her t-shirts with the monogrammed initials, and underneath, the date!
    I've Been Frosted

I still think a nice gift basket with the paintstuff that was mentioned would be really a hit and much appreciated...if it were me I would be thrilled someone cared enough to remember this.
    And if the couple is as practical as you say they will love the idea...

Do you have a Micheal's store?? the wedding we just went to I went to Micheal's and bought an etching kit. Its super easy! Then I bought 2 champagne glasses and etched their names on each. With a design of a dove. ITs really easy you just tape the stencil on the glass then plaster the etching cream over it wait a min then rinse. You can do it to any glass if you know of something else you can etch and its cheap! If you want to practice go get a glass from the dollar store too thats what I did.

Me-24
    Hubby-25
    Daughter Zoey is 2 !!!!
    Jasmine 1 month

I'm with the others in the thought that baby gifts aren't appropriate.
    I was watching a Wedding story one day on TLC *which I usually don't watch - that and Baby story - ick ((shudder))* and the couple was having this glammed out wedding and then during the toast the bride coyly said "OH I can't drink b/c we are having a baby" and they announced it like that. I thought it was 1) a ploy to get on a Baby Story 2) incredibly tacky 3) HIGHLY premature- she was so early in the pregnancy - that unfortunately anything can happen.
    anyhooo - off topic

I love the idea of the magazine subscription. Does she Cook? www.tasteofhome.com has a magazine for just about any kind of cook.
    I like the carwash idea as well. That's good.
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

I think the monogrammed glasses are a terrific idea, especially if you could do them yourself, Kim. That would be so special. Or get a really nice set of glasses and have them monogrammed by a professional. I love monogramming too, and would love to receive a gift of towels, glasses or something like that. Maybe even a really nice blanket (throw) with a monogram.

I also love the paint idea, too, especially if you add a certificate to offer to help with the painting.

Quote Originally Posted by Catty1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edwina's Secretary
    How about a coffee table book, or a magazine subscription? Or flowers/plants to be delivered every other month for a year? Or cheese of the month?
    I love all these ideas. Harry & David has nice fruit of the month packages that you can choose from - 4 or 6 or all 12 depending on what you want to spend. Do they have a backyard? What about a fancy-smancy picnic basket with dishes and flatware, or one of those wine carriers they make from the material that's used for diving wet suits? Barbecue grill tools?
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Since she loves momngrammed things, what about a doorknocker for their front door that has been engraved with their (her new) last name? Something unique and practical, and monogrammed.

I also love the idea of the paintbrushes with their names on each one. Maybe a certificate that youa nd your husband will come over and help paint and decorate. That could be especially helpful since she could be very pregnant by that time!
    Proud Meowmie of Sasha

RIP sweet Tabitha, my heart kitty. You are loved and missed every day. 1988 - 2010