Thread: Teeth Cleaning

Teeth Cleaning

Miss JoJo Louise is getting her teeth cleaned by the vet on Thursday. I'm so nervous. My co-worker said her in-laws cat went "under" for a teeth cleaning and a couple of days later, died.

Have you ever had your cats teeth cleaned by the vet? Did everything turn out all right? Is there anything I should do to make sure JoJo will be okay?

I'm so worried about her. I would DIE if anything happened to her.
    I love Fenway, JoJo, Olivia and Nonnie!

All of my cats have had their teeth cleaned and, on occasion, extractions, too, w/no complications whatsoever. Perhaps your co-workers inlaws' cat had a condition that caused complications. Try not to worry about it. If your vet feels that there could be a problem, such as an upper respiratory ailment, s/he wouldn't do the cleaning. I'm sure your kitty will be fine. Please keep us updated. We'll send up prayers that all will be well for her and you.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

I've also had several of my cats teeth cleaned without any problems. Just be sure that your vet does blood work before the cleaning so this will rule out any potential problems. You also have to fast your cat but I'm sure that you already know this. I'm sure that everything will be fine. Good luck.

In the 7+ years I've been working at the vet hospital I've only seen 2 animals die under anesthetic, and neither was a dentistry, but major surgery instead. In both cases they were high risk to start with and the owners were made aware of that prior to surgery.

With any anethsetic there is always a risk. Even in human medicine just getting your tonsils out has a risk, although a small one. However todays anesthetics are much safer than the ones from years back. They use small amounts of several different ones and a bit of gas (as opposed to the old fashioned way of a whopping dose of just one injectable). Most vets do lab work prior to any surgery/dentistry, some even require it, to make sure they are aware of any health problems beforehand that would affect which drugs they choose to use.

I've had several of my own cats' teeth cleaned and had no problems and would not hesitate to have them done again if they need it.

While we all worry about our pets when they are away from us and especially when going under anesthetic (vet workers included) the damage caused to the heart, liver, kidneys from bacteria in the bloodstream from bad teeth, FAR outweigh the very slight risk of a dentistry done by a licensed vet.

Rest assured that your vet can take care of your furbaby. If you have any questions or concerns about the procedure, call the vet before the dentistry and express them to him. Part of his job is to help make you more comfortable that you are doing the best thing for the health of your pet.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

ALL OF MY SENIOR KITTYZENS AND JOHN HANCOCK HAVE HAD DENTALS , AND THEY ARE NOW ESSENTIALLY TOOTHLESS , AND DOING VERY WELL. THATS SAD ABOUT THAT POOR CAT WHO DIED AFTER THE PROCEDURE. BUT I WOULD THINK THAT THATS RARE.
    THEY STILL EAT THIER DRY FOOD , AND ARE ACTUALLY A BIT HEALTHIER, AS THERE ARE NO TEETH TO GATHER BACTERIA.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Fister had his teeth cleaned earlier this year, he is 12 years old, so I was worried too, but there was no complications. It did take him a long time to come around though. Don't let her eat anything 12 hours before, and give her only a little bit of water. Ask your vet to give her as little anaesthesia as possible, and make sure you keep an eye on her when she is back home. She will most likely try to jump down from your bed before she really is able to without hurting herself.

Good luck!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

All my girls have had their teeth cleaned, sometimes with extractions, without any complications. I'm sure everything will go well.

All my kitties (all four of them) have had their teeth cleaned and some extracted. My Sydney has actually had a good portion of her teeth removed, including a canine - and there where never any complications. So hopefully this will put your mind to ease!
    Sincerely,
    Kat

Rest in Peace Baby, Hercules, and Sydney - If love could have saved you, you both would have lived forever!

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." ~Ghandi

I'VE BEEN BOO'D!