Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Willow Oak

I meant to reply before, but then something came up, and when I returned to this thread, there was another exiting tale to read.

Wow, what amazing stories! You have saved a lot of lives, and you have every reason to be proud of yourself! You know the meaning of "patience" - that is of course what's needed to rescue animals.

Your story about Buddy reminded me very much of how Fister came to live with us (John and I). It had to be on Fister's conditions, or not at all! I still have Fister, who is now 12 years old, but unfortunately not John.

I'm so glad you were in the hospital at the right time and all is well now - it really would have been unfair to all your furbabies, had you departed, and of course, you're not nearly old enough for that!

As others have mentioned, you should get a book published about your rescue work - you really write well!

I wish you all the best of luck and hope you'll keep the good work up! Give all your furbabies some scritches from me - Fister sends headbumpies.
    Last edited by Randi; 08-28-2008 at 02:28 PM.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

I just now found this thread. What amazing stories you have and you tell them so well.

You have such a kind heart, I'm glad you got it fixed.

From Decker with Love

I hadn't read any more of your posts after #14 until today and now I'm all caught up! Quite literally.

Your comment below really got me thinking.

I hope that someday I do stand before God. And above all else I want God to give me exactly what's coming to me. I don't want mercy. I want to pay for my crimes. I hope God does not consign me to burn for eternity, but I do want to do some sort of penance. I want something else. I want an opportunity to see and apologize to Princess and the other puppy. I want to tell them that I am sorry for what I did. I imagine in my mind that if that opportunity presents itself that I shall hear something like, "Gee, I don't remember." And if and when I do, then among God's creatures, those two precious ones will have proved themselves to be bigger and better than I.
    I don't think a fiery eternity is in anywhere in your future. It seems to me that God began to offer you the chance to do penance right here on earth with every creature that appeared to you 'in the middle of nowhere'. The image of snow white Buddy in the forest is nothing short of magical. And as I read your stories I began to think of each animal that crossed your path as an angel sent to you in a broken state but in the end, they were the ones that would heal you. I don't believe in coincidence and I think each and every animal that you reached out to was a gift from God and perhaps from Princess and the puppy.

You didn't have to choose this path of caring or to open your heart up to these animals but you did and it seems like your reward is great with all of the unconditional love you receive from these wonderful beings.
    Of course, they too are on the receiving end at a second chance at life and companionship and love. They are lovely stories of reciprocal healing.

I was particularily struck by the story of your heart condition and the manner in which you were saved. The mere moments that were a deciding factor in your living or dying immediately made me think of big, beautiful Sam. He too only had a few seconds that would decide if he would go on to live or not but you followed your heart and you guys are together and well. I think God returned the favour back on June 23rd.

Sharing your stories benefits us all because there is much to be learned through your trials. From them, I remember that I should trust my instincts, follow my heart and love with abandon. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatepuppy View Post
    I have a friend in PA who is single and would love sleeping with a hundred dogs! I'm gonna tell her about you. She has two dogs, two cats and a horse.
    you'd have to ask her whether she'd sleep with you.
    Tell her I'm neutered!

Quote Originally Posted by Cataholic View Post
    Very nice set up there, Willow Oak! Welcome and looking forward to more posts.
    Once a Cataholic, always a Cataholic!

Quote Originally Posted by Emeraldgreen View Post
    Sharing your stories benefits us all because there is much to be learned through your trials. From them, I remember that I should trust my instincts, follow my heart and love with abandon. Thank you.
    Thanks for all of the responses. I had never thought of any of my experiences as "trials." I know you didn't intend that in a negative way, but having read so many posts on this forum I have come to realize how truly devoted so many people are to their animal friends. I'm quite sure that there are many similar stories to tell among the Pet Talker faithful.

This particular post touched me in a different way however. I had no idea that anything I would write would have such an effect on someone. For me it has been purely a therapeutic excercise. I have read many more posts than I have written, and I have cried many times while reading some of them. I especially like to read those eulogies written by someone who has recently lost a dear friend. Those posts do help to assuage my own grief so.

As far as a book, wouldn't it be nice if someone with real writing skills would compile the best stories from Pet Talker into some sort of anthology? Just a thought.

As for me I am still trying to work up the courage to write about Yella Fella and Goldie, and their mother and her friend.
    Last edited by Willow Oak; 08-19-2008 at 03:37 PM. Reason: I am a bad speller

As for me I am still trying to work up the courage to write about Yella Fella and Goldie, and their mother and her friend.
    You know us on PT a bit by now...you know it is safe to share that story.

No, sharing it sadly won't change the outcome - but will free you.

{{{hugs}}}
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Nothing wrong with YOUR writing skills. A book of your tales would be wonderful. I get LES every time I read one.

There are many great stories here at Pet Talk. Some of them are written better than others, but they are all good reading. Should someone compile them, we would have a book of short stories all ready to publish!

If you keep them coming, we'll keep reading. They are stories of compassion and love.

Quote Originally Posted by Willow Oak View Post
    Uh, do you know any female that wouldn't mind sleeping with 10 dogs (9 + me)?
    **raises hand*** Oh, pick me, pick me! I hate my job and am willing to relocate......
    I'm way behind on reading your stories. Will catch up when I get home from work. I have plenty of tissues beside my computer....
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

Quote Originally Posted by mruffruff View Post
    Nothing wrong with YOUR writing skills. A book of your tales would be wonderful. I get LES every time I read one.

There are many great stories here at Pet Talk. Some of them are written better than others, but they are all good reading. Should someone compile them, we would have a book of short stories all ready to publish!

If you keep them coming, we'll keep reading. They are stories of compassion and love.
    I just read your profifle. "Two mixed-breed mutts." Is there any better kind? Aren't we all?

Quote Originally Posted by slick View Post
    **raises hand*** Oh, pick me, pick me! I hate my job and am willing to relocate......
    I'm way behind on reading your stories. Will catch up when I get home from work. I have plenty of tissues beside my computer....
    Uh, I have nothing against anyone else who would, but I don't sleep with anyone named "Larry." Be that as it may, save me some tissue. I've read a tear-jerker or two today from another thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Willow Oak View Post
    Uh, I have nothing against anyone else who would, but I don't sleep with anyone named "Larry."
    Sorry to barge in here - but "Larry" was found for me - so no worries on this count!

Also, couldn't we call this Pet Talk book - THE BOOK OF TAILS?

Well, it would be worth sleeping with 9 dogs as long as I was closest to the pack leader!

Slick and I are from a rather chilly country, can you tell?

But my pillow-buddy-heart-cat Oscar....what to do, what to do????
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

I recently discovered a treasure trove of wonderful "tails" that need to be retold. John is no longer with us, but his wife Randi was kind enough to point me the way to a few of his posts.

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=29901

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=29962

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=29333

For those of you who have already read them, they are certainly worth re-reading. I'm still laughing at one of the "tails" I read in that second post. Here is an excerpt:

"Poor old Batman was often getting into scrapes, always through absolutely no fault of his own. We still occasionally had problems with one of the wild cats in the beginning, he would wait until Batman wasn’t around, hop up into our window and mark out his territory This REALLY annoyed me. So one day I decided to teach the intruder a proper lesson. I thought that I had seen him out in the yard (he was also big and black), and when I saw a black shape hopping into our window, he got a whole bucketful of water right in the face. Unfortunately I wasn’t aware that Batman was out too, so it was he who received my little present. Poor fellow, he just COULDN’T understand what had happened and wandered around for a quite while in a daze. On another occasion we had a visit by a girl with a little baby. He was lying on the bed getting his nappy changed when Batman decided to check him out. At that very moment the baby let out a huge stream of diarrhoea which hit Batman right on the head. He stayed well away from babies from then on!

Another time I was woken early in the morning by one of our neighbors. “Your cat's out here on the stairs” she says. “Thank you very much” I say, and sleepily let the big black cat in. He wanders straight into the kitchen and begins to eat. I return to the bedroom, and who wanders out but Batman! I luckily managed to get the intruder out before Batman saw him, otherwise I’m sure the fur would have been flying! Some cats do have a lot of nerve.
    "

Oh Willow Oak, I am so happy that Randi has directed you to some of John's threads.

Pet Talk is such a very special place - and the boards have been graced by some of the funniest, kindest, and most intelligent people. John was right up there at the TOP!!

All of us loved him and we still grieve his loss along with Randi.

Perhaps she will direct you to his grave - as it is a magical place, tended lovingly by Randi - if you see it, you will understand.