Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ACK! Bella just ate a mouse!

ACK! Bella just ate a mouse!

I just had the dogs out for their first potty of the morning. I noticed Bella back by the shed sort of pawing at something and then biting at it. I sneakily went down to where she was and she was very busy with what she was doing and didn't notice me coming. When she moved her head away I could see the small body of what I think was a mouse. It didn't have any hair so maybe it could have been a chipmunk. The minute she saw me she picked it up and ran. Here I am racing around the yard in my bathrobe yelling "drop it!" She vanished out of my sight around the back of the shed and began running up to the house. I thought 'good, I will get it out of her mouth by offering her a treat.' That worked before when she had caught a very large bird. Well, by the time she got up on the deck the mouse was gone ... in her tummy! ACK!

My question is, can this make her sick? Especially since it is a rodent? She did eat a baby bird once and was none the worst for it. GAG! It will be a long time before I enjoy her kisses again. Maybe I can teach her to gargle with mouthwash!

If it makes you feel better, my dog Tatum assassinated a muskrat about 2 months ago. She was running around the yard with it in her mouth while chewing on it, and I eventually got her to let it go by yelling, "leave it!" The point of the story is that Tatum is healthy and never even got sick or anything like that. And oh yea, Shawnee picked up a dead bird in her mouth once too and started running around with it. She too never got sick. And finally, my first dog named Jackson would eat dead birds routinely and never get sick.

She Didn't Eat It!!!!

She must have dropped it when I told her to, probably behind the shed, (Good Girl!) because she was just outside again and pawing at something closer up to the house but was only partially interested at it at this point. I let her in and went back outside and there it was! It is very limp so I am sure she was responsible for its death but I still cannot identify what it is. I scooped it into the lid of a trashcan and took a picture. It has no tail unless it did and she ate it. I am thinking now that it might be a mole. What do you think?

Forgot the picture!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Oh Bella, silly baby....Your poor Mom!

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post

I scooped it into the lid of a trashcan and took a picture.

I am thinking now that it might be a mole.
    What do you think?

>gasp<

I didn't *look* ...

I'll wait for the Coroner's Report.

I think you might be right - it might be a mole. I think a baby mouse would be even smaller - at least the ones I have seen and with no fur, I think a mole.

Bella no matter what it is, stay away from wild things! They might make you sick and we sure don't want a sick Bella. AND most importantly Mommy might not let you give her kisses!!!!

"That they may have a little peace, even the best
    dogs are compelled to snarl occasionally."
    --William Feather

Hmm...I don't think I have ever seen anything that looks like that before, fortunately. But I just had to say, GOOD GIRL, BELLA!!! You have a very good drop it response sweetie. I hope you got an extra special treatsie for that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Cinder & Smoke View Post

>gasp<

I didn't *look* ...

I'll wait for the Coroner's Report.

AWWW Phred! I probably should have posted a warning - "graphic picture attached for those weak in the tummy."

O...M....G.... that was NASTY!!!

By the feet, I think it's a mole also.

I worry about rodents all the time because if someone in the neighborhood were to put out rat poison to kills any rodents, they may make their way into my yard to die! I always worry about that!

Good girl Bella for not eating it sweetie!!
    Next time, just leave it alone!!
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

It looks kinda like a baby squirrel to me but I'm not good at this guessing what animals are.

I can't help but smile Pam. Most people think Poodles are such delicate creatures that would never do such things. If they only knew!! Bella is one of the biggest reasons I love Poodles. She's such a well rounded girl!!

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

I think it's a mole too. By the looks of the feet and the face.
    Thank goodness Bella didn't eat it afterall.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Oh my. It kinda looks like a baby opossum. Never saw a mole up close,
    so I'm not sure what a small one whould look like.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Ick, Ick, Ick

I looked!!! Knew I shouldn't, but I did. Pam, you get atta girl points for picking it up. Wonder if there are more where that one came from?
    *Until one has loved an animal, a part of ones soul remains unawakened.* Anatole France

Ick! whatever it is; it is very young...probably right out of a nest so she may end up with another one soon if she knows where the nest is.