Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rusty's not good

Poor Rusty! Bad backs in hoomans is just as bad in our pups.

Mz Logan's cuzin, Gizmo, the Beagle, had the same symptoms as Rusty a few month's ago. After the steroid shot, oral steroids and pain killers, and lots of rest (try that with a beagle ), he's as good as new. He seems to know his limits (smarter than skin people).

Chill out for a while, Rusty. I know it's hard, but it's too hot to do anything anyway. Enjoy lots of loving and treats and belly rubs!
    I'm glad you're feeling better!

I've been Boooo'd!

Might this help?

http://www.avcadoctors.com/search_fo...ied_doctor.htm

Look it over carefully. It might at least reduce the amount of meds he needs?

Human chiropractors can use a "cherry picker" to adjust, which is gentler than a manual adjustment. Or there is the Pro-Adjuster (which I LOVE), but I don't know if it's available for pets.

Here's the list from NJ:
    Deborah Buzby-Cope DC
    Little Egg Harbor NJ
    609-294-2700 [email protected]

David Hirsch DVM
    Cape May Courthouse NJ
    609-465-5590 [email protected]

Kathleen Schappel-Lackey DVM
    Jackson NJ
    732-367-4844 [email protected]

Rosemary Manziano DVM
    Colts Neck NJ
    732-780-4211

Carole Edwards DC,DVM
    Frenchtown NJ
    908-575-7834

Jason Lewis DC
    Point Pleasant NJ
    908-783-7738 [email protected]

Amy Peterson DVM
    Califon NJ
    908-832-7523

Marc Sommer DC
    Pompton Lakes NJ
    973-838-2106 [email protected]

There is also hydro(water) therapy for dogs, as well as physio, etc.

I hope Rusty is better soon! :-)
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Will say a prayer for Rusty's recovery.
    ~Traci, Duke, Champ, Chopper and Ryleigh

On occasion I have been know to speak Chopperese.

Glad they found a reason for Rusty's problems. Now the trick will be to get him to enjoy resting and not running and jumping. Will continue to pray for Rusty.

"That they may have a little peace, even the best
    dogs are compelled to snarl occasionally."
    --William Feather

Thanks guys.

My mom called the vet this morning, and they said Rusty is up and walking around. They said for her to call later at 3, to see if he isn't in any pain and can come home.

He's home now

He just isn't acting too much like himself, since he probably didn't sleep much last night and the shot might have made him sleepy. He doesn't have much of an appitite ethier, we tried giving him roast beef and steak which he didn't eat. But he did eat some chicken my mom gave him, we also tried giving him ice cream cake from my dad's birthday but he didn't want any.

It's good to hear Rusty is home now! Maybe he'll feel a bit better tomorrow.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

So more thoughts about Rusty. He has been getting better, but this morning he wasn't feeling too good. He is always thirsty, then goes outside, comes in, drinks a bowl of water, and goes out again, basically repeating process.

Maybe just an off day? Rusty is still in my thoughts and prayers.
    Forever in my heart...

I have no idea, he was fine, he was doing good. Now he doesn't want to eat (even steak.. which he hasn't ever refused), he hasn't eaten in 2 days. He only drinks water..
    & lately he has been painting heavily all day long as if he just went out on a long walk.

We have to give him peptobismol now, because the medicine upset his stomach and he threw up all night on friday. He also won't take his medicine now ethier :/.

He might have to go into the vet again, in a few days if he doesn't start eating again and what not.

There are some things that shows him being normal again....but there is also unnormal things. Like he went outside today on the leash, and yesterday he acted slightly normal and happy when he saw my friends over.

Ugh, I really hope he gets better

I'm just guessing here ('cause I'm clearly no vet or anything close to it), but you said he lost his appetite and was breathing heavy and drinking lots of water? I'm wondering if maybe the meds you mentioned he was prescribed could have possibly made him thirsty and sorta druggy. Also, I've read that dogs can encounter thyroid problems which can make them lose their appetite and make them feel not motivated to do anything. And I remember when I gave Tatum benadryl for her itchy skin (my vet recommended it) it ended up making her stay up all night breathing heavy.

Hope this may help.

Well he's probably going to the vet again tommorow.

I will keep Rusty in my prayers.
    Forever in my heart...

Quote Originally Posted by I_luv_rusty View Post
    So more thoughts about Rusty. He has been getting better, but this morning he wasn't feeling too good. He is always thirsty, then goes outside, comes in, drinks a bowl of water, and goes out again, basically repeating process.
    Sounds like it may be a reaction to steroids. Even in humans, it makes you pee all the time, hence drink more. But I've heard they also make you ravenous with hunger. Of course I'm not a vet, so I hope yours can determine why Rusty still doesn't feel so good. I'm so sorry. I know your heart is breaking that he's not himself. Sending Rusty get well kisses!

I've been Boooo'd!

So as soon as my mom came home to bring him to the vet, he was happier and was wagging his tail when she got home to bring him. He also came home, and didn't need to stay again. Earlier on the phone they said if he wasn't good, they'd re-admit him.

They took his temperture he was fine, no blood in stool and such. They gave him another shot, and he growled and snapped when they tried giving it in his leg. (Which makes him seem better, considering the last shot he got he didn't react to) He also tried going after some little dog (not that, that is a good thing, but it shows he is his normal dog hating self lol)

The heavy breathing was because of slight pain or discomfort.

They said to see how he is feeling my wednesday now. We also have to make sure he doesn't come upstairs, because last time when he came home he ran right up them. Until then he can take some medicine tommorow, but no more pepto bismol unless he is throwing up again..