Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Specs has a heart murmur *Update/8/7*

My Specs has a heart murmur *Update/8/7*

I know that some PTers have cats w/a heart murmur but, admittedly, I haven't paid much attention to the threads other than to encourage them and to send prayers. Specs and Yoda were in for their physicals today and Specs has a heart murmur. I didn't take them to Dr. Lee, my usual vet who's farther away, because this was just checkup day and my local vet handles that stuff and she's only 10 minutes away. She admitted to me that she doesn't have all the equipment necessary for testing and she also doesn't have the expertise for treatment if the murmur is due to something more serious. I'll have to wait until I get paid, which won't be for a couple of weeks, before I can take Specs in to see Dr. Lee because Boo and Coco Puff are due for their checkups, too, and they won't refill my Rx for Clomicalm unless they get their checkups. (I simply cannot have a pee party added to the mix. I'll lose my mind. I'm close as it is.)

So, I'm asking for prayers for my pretty boy Specs and also if you have any pertinent info that you think I should know, please post it if you think others will benefit from the info or PM me, if you prefer. Please don't frighten me, though, and by that I mean that, if you're an alarmist, it might be better not to reply. I'm tough; I can do anything where my cats are concerned but what I need are facts and success stories. My calico Puddy, who's been a CRF kitty for years and is operating on only one kidney now, is getting weaker every day and I've been battling my fear that her end may be near. I'm on shaky ground emotionally right now, not to mention financially because the vet bills are never-ending. I have to go in on Wednesday for my own tests. (I'm having some troublesome gynecological issues at the moment and I'm hoping that it's something simple.) Boy, it just keeps on comin'.
    Last edited by Medusa; 08-07-2008 at 09:21 AM.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Mary, I'm sorry to hear Specs has a heart murmur. I don't really know anything about that, other than there are degrees of it. I hope Specs' is the mild version - I'm sending positive thoughts that is is.

Try not to get yourself worked up about it until you know for sure. Many cats have lived with it for years.

((((hugs))))

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Heart murmurs can be symptoms of a whole lot of things including nothing at all. Some are completely (or nearly so) harmless, others represent more serious heart conditions. They are graded on a 1 to 6 scale, with 1 being mild and 6 being serious.

If it's toward the higher end, the vet may want to run an ultrasound (echocardiogram) to see if there's a problem such as hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (HCM). This is a condition where the heart wall thickens and becomes less compliant so the heart doesn't pump as effectively. HCM is an extremely variable condition. I have two cats with mild HCM who have been treated for about 5 years or so with a once a day pill. Sammy, who died last year at age 19 had very pronounced HCM as well as chronic renal failure. Even so, she lasted 5 years with the condition. And she'd had the heart murmur much longer, and I suspect congenital. (I got her when she was 9, and she had the heart murmur then.)

However, other cats succumb quickly. HCM cats are susceptible to throwing blood clots that can completely block an artery.

Oh No Mary so sorry to read this news.. Are you going to take Specs to see Dr. Lee also for their judgement?? Oh I hope Specs will be ok.. Sending Lots of Good Vibes & Prayers from my clann..

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

Quote Originally Posted by nepeta View Post
    Heart murmurs can be symptoms of a whole lot of things including nothing at all. Some are completely (or nearly so) harmless, others represent more serious heart conditions. They are graded on a 1 to 6 scale, with 1 being mild and 6 being serious.

If it's toward the higher end, the vet may want to run an ultrasound (echocardiogram) to see if there's a problem such as hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (HCM). This is a condition where the heart wall thickens and becomes less compliant so the heart doesn't pump as effectively. HCM is an extremely variable condition. I have two cats with mild HCM who have been treated for about 5 years or so with a once a day pill. Sammy, who died last year at age 19 had very pronounced HCM as well as chronic renal failure. Even so, she lasted 5 years with the condition. And she'd had the heart murmur much longer, and I suspect congenital. (I got her when she was 9, and she had the heart murmur then.)

However, other cats succumb quickly. HCM cats are susceptible to throwing blood clots that can completely block an artery.
    Thank you so much for your reply. This is exactly the kind of info that I was looking for. I called my main vet, Dr. Lee, and he told me the same thing. I knew that he'd be able to put my mind at ease and, as soon as I get the results of the blood work tomorrow so that I have something to report to him, I'll make an appt. for Specs for an x-ray and one other test that I can't recall the name of at the moment. Then, if Dr. Lee thinks it's necessary, the echocardiogram will be done. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it's a 1.
    Blessings,
    Mary

How old is Specs?

My Duffy was diagnosed with a murmur 5 - 6 years ago. He had a cardiac ultrasound, and it was determined that his murmur was totally innocent - just like mine!!

When we took him to the Vet, he got upset, and the murmur surfaced. It requires no treatment, no follow up, no nothing.

I've had a murmur all my life - sometimes they hear it, sometimes they don't. Like Duffy - no treatment is needed.

I wish for you and Specs a repeat of Duffy - a lot of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Grace View Post
    How old is Specs?

My Duffy was diagnosed with a murmur 5 - 6 years ago. He had a cardiac ultrasound, and it was determined that his murmur was totally innocent - just like mine!!

When we took him to the Vet, he got upset, and the murmur surfaced. It requires no treatment, no follow up, no nothing.

I've had a murmur all my life - sometimes they hear it, sometimes they don't. Like Duffy - no treatment is needed.

I wish for you and Specs a repeat of Duffy - a lot of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
    He's approximately 8 1/2 years old. My vet thought that he was about 2 1/2 years old when I rescued him and I've had him for 6 years now. Thanx for the good thoughts. I appreciate it a lot. I had a heart murmur when I was pregnant and after delivery, the murmur disappeared. So I'm hoping that Specs' murmur is all sound and fury, as you say.
    Blessings,
    Mary

Let's hope Specs isn't pregnant!

Sounds like he is in really good hands - and the murmur can appear at the vet's an nowhere else. It's like us hoomins having our BP go up when we get our checkups.

Prayers that Specs will check out fine, and that you will too.

PT Prayers for Puddy...does she seem comfy?

{{{{hugs}}}}
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Quote Originally Posted by Catty1 View Post

PT Prayers for Puddy...does she seem comfy?

{{{{hugs}}}}
    She seems to be. She's eating fine but now she refuses to use her personal water fountain. She insists on drinking only out of the bathroom sink. I was ready to call Dr. Lee because I thought it meant something (what, I have no idea) but she only does it at night. During the day she uses the other water fountain w/no problem. So I made sure hers was clean as a whistle but, for some reason, she wants to use that bathroom faucet. She can no longer jump up on the toilet to the sink; she's too weak, I guess, so she cries until I get out of bed and lift her. Of course, it wouldn't matter if she could get up there on her own anyhow because she can't turn on the faucet. She just doesn't look good, y'know?
    Blessings,
    Mary

Mary, I am hoping for the best for Specs!!! Our Riley(soon to be 8 in August)was diagnosised at ONLY 8 months. He has not had a single symptom since I noticed he had dyspnea(trouble breathing)while he was playing. He has cardiac ultrasounds every other year. He has a Grade III/IV murmur.He has never taken a single pill. Let's hope for the same for your Specs!!! Prayers for you both!!! Sandra
    Nine is Fine!!

Mary you have posted in my threads lately giving me advice and support so i wanted to try and do the same for you, as you know Ash has a heart murmur and early renal failure, he had the murmur about two years ago, and it is mild, no treatment was advised at this stage,and until the recent diagnosis he was not receiving any medication, but is now on fortekor, which is for cardiomyopathy (not sure i spelled that right) and his renal failure, it might be an option for your kitty too, however if it is only mild, probably the vet will advise no treatment.

The vet also told me sometimes kitties get so worked up at the visit that it appears they have a murmur and they really don't at all, i was hoping that was the case for Ash, but sadly not.

I am sorry to hear you are having so many health issues personally and with the kitties, i know how that feels for sure, it is very stressful and i can only wish you the best for all your concerns, HUGS.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

I do hope that your dear Specs can manage with the heart murmur quite well. I have 2 kitties with heart murmurs, Higgins and Juliet. Both are a 1. I almost broke down when the vet told me that Higgins had a heart murmur. It was just a couple months after my Simone had to be put to sleep because of congestive heart failure. That was such a difficult time, and then to hear that Higgins had heart trouble too was almost too much. The vet reassured me that his murmur wasn't as serious as Simone's condition. In fact, since both kitties' murmurs are only a 1, they don't have to have any special treatment for them. Please keep us updated about Specs' condition.

I'm sorry that Specs has a heart murmur. Sending prayers and vibes his way.
    Nancy

All things work together for good to them that love God.
    (Romans 8:28)

I've been defrosted-- Thanks, Sana

Dusty had a heart murmer that was diagnosed in 1997 at 7 years of age, at that time the vet felt that she may have been born with the condition. Dusty required no meds for it, or had any health problems because of it until 2006 at almost 16 years of age. I had her for 12 years and of those 12 only the last year did her murmer cause any type of problems for her.

On a side note I have an uncle in his late 60's who has had a heart murmer since birth. He takes no meds for it, and is a very active person, including many sports when he was a bit younger.

I hope your vet does whatever tests are necessary and finds that your Specs heart murmer is one of those that are not serious or require meds for.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Catlady711 View Post
    Dusty had a heart murmer that was diagnosed in 1997 at 7 years of age, at that time the vet felt that she may have been born with the condition. Dusty required no meds for it, or had any health problems because of it until 2006 at almost 16 years of age. I had her for 12 years and of those 12 only the last year did her murmer cause any type of problems for her.

On a side note I have an uncle in his late 60's who has had a heart murmer since birth. He takes no meds for it, and is a very active person, including many sports when he was a bit younger.

I hope your vet does whatever tests are necessary and finds that your Specs heart murmer is one of those that are not serious or require meds for.

Thank you for posting this. It's the kind of story that I like to hear. I have total faith in my vet, believe me. Dr. Lee leaves no stone unturned and he's very aggressive w/treatment and I can discuss anything w/him. Specs' blood work came in today and all is normal. So I will call Dr. Lee tomorrow to make an appt. for the appropriate tests and will let everyone know the results as soon as I know them.
    Blessings,
    Mary