Thread: how did your dog get it's name?

how did your dog get it's name?

i'm just curious to see how some of your dog(s) or other pets got their names. some dogs might have just gotten them because you like that name, but others usually relate to the dog's nature, or color or whatever. so...give it a shot

“I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running
    from one falling star to another till i drop. This is the night, what it does to you.
    I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.”
    - Jack Kerouac; On The Road

My dog came with the name Odie, which he got because he loves to run around like a dunce and lick you to death -- like Garfield's Odie.

Scout was just a name that was cute and seemed to fit him.

Delilah, the cat, I wanted to give her a strong female name. Since Delilah in the Bible cut off Samson's hair and took away his strength, I thought it was fitting for my kitty -- who was queen of the house at 2 lbs and pushed my big old dalmatian around.

I had a bird named Picasso -- a quaker parrot. No real reason, it just sounded funny.

Oh, and the bunnies were named Jersey, because it had spots like Jersey cattle, and Denali, because it was solid white like snow capped peaks at Denali NP.

Reggie and Smokey were named by my brother....a long time ago.......I think we just liked the names.

Nebo was named after a mountain in Utah that I think is pretty!

(dogs)
    Teddy Bear got his name because he looks like a big Teddy Bear
    Chewy got his name because he eats everything! LOL

(cats)
    Misty got her name because she has a misty grey color over her coat
    Tundra got her name because she is as white as the tundra
    Hoss got his name because My older brothers nick name is Big hoss my middle brothers nick name is middle hoss and then my youngest brothers nick name is little hoss. So since Hoss was "little hoss's" cat we had to name him baby hoss but over the past 2 years baby hoss has been dropped and he is just called Hoss (or hossie possie )
    Buddy got his name becasue on christmas eve when he was givein to (lol) "Big Hoss" he said Hi little Buddy and it has just stuck
    Smokey got her name cause she is a smokey color.

(chamilion)
    Peaches got her name because my sister (as a joke) said lets name her peaches and then the next night she asked her boyfriend what he thought she should name her and he said Peaches, no just kidding. And she told him that he said the same thing the nigth before so it was just ment to be LOL

(rats)
    Melony as named after my friend brook's bunny Melony. She was the best bunny in the world and is greatly missed, R.I.P.
    Hope was named Hope because, I don't know why acctaully. LOL she just is

(Fish)
    guy was named Guy because my sister always called him little guy
    Kitty was named kitty because she is a cat fish and it was cute

Ash
    Dogs: Nova, Konnor and Sitka

thanks guys. these are really interesting to hear keep 'em comming

from one falling star to another till i drop. This is the night, what it does to you.

Here are how my dogs got their names:
    Digger: After a while after I got Digger, he dug a shallow hole, long enough for his body, and then he layed in it... that's why we named him Digger!
    Chubby: Chubby was in a litter of 12 pups, and there were 9 black pups, and 3 yellow ones... Chubby was one of the yellow labs, and the biggest! That's why he go his name!
    Otis: I got Otis' name off of the movie "Milo and Otis".
    Otis is a pug, just like the Otis on the movie... I really liked the name Otis... very much for a pug! It just wouldn't be the same is his name wasn't Otis!

Bug the dog got her name from the movie Hook - a fairy is sometimes mistaken for a bug - so her formal name is Titania Tinklebell - but she's my little bug! (She came into my livingroom and adopted me in 1996)

Count the dog got his name cuz when he was rescued from the pound he walked out head held high and was dignified and wouldn't give the other dogs a second look - he was outta there! Now he's just the big cuddle baby - funny how titles crumbly in the privacy of the home.....heeeheee. (his nick name is fat boy cuz he's overweight due to his past - but some day it will change to muscle boy!) (bug and i adopted him in march 2002)

Scarlet - the cat - is named for the gone with the wind character. she has blond hair, blue eyes and is queen of all she surveys and then some. She is a priss and b#$*& just like scarlet in the book. She was adopted in 1989 after being rejected by two owners.

Munch - the cat- was named munch cuz on a drive between SF and LA that was the only word she would respond to. She liked it so that was good enough for me. She was adopted in 1994.

I enjoy the name tails - too!

For 2 weeks, my new puppy would just follow me around but would not react to any of the names I came up with. One night, I was sitting on the sofa watching Start Trek Voyager and Janeway said "Seven of Nine" and my dog's ears shot up. After about 20 minutes, I kept noticing that every time Seven of Nine was on screen, his ears were up.

He IS a boy dog, but I didn't think he was that male, so I left him on the sofa, walked out of the room and said "Seven!" and he came trotting in with his ears up. And that's how he got his name.

Tango was named that because of his little dance. He gets on his hind legs and dances around with incredible balance. I love when he dances because he looks so happy and youthful. By the way, this is a great thread!

My fish Roy got his name because he has every color of the rainbow in his scales. They teach you in school ROYGBIV to remember the order of colors on the rainbow spectrum (Red Orange Yellow Green Blue Indigo Violet) So I cut it short to some up with Roy.

Let's go in order of age here:

Fluffy - She was a little fluffy ball of fur when we got her ( and the runt of the litter which you couldn't tell now)

Katie Mae - She was named after my Dad's mom (Katie Marie)

Bull - Honestly I didn't name him. I think Dad's friend just wasn't very creative and said "He looks like a pitbull lets name him Bull" LOL I kept it Bull cuz 1.) He was 9 months old when I got him didn't see the point in changing it and 2.) He has a habit of if you don't pay him the attention that he thinks he deserves he'll paw you and/or headbutt you like a bull until you PAY ATTENTION TO THE LIL PRINCE! LOL
    Hold your head high.
    Don't ever let 'em define
    The light in your eyes.
    Love yourself, give them Hell.
    You can take on this world.
    You just stand and be strong
    And then fight
    Like a girl.

Kia came with her name. I could of changed it but Kia just seems to fit her.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

they're all great names.

Sadie was just a name we liked. It was the name of the dog next door to Ralph when he was growing up.

Cincy is a shortened form of Cincinnati, where Ralph and I both went to college and met.

Ok, this is how we named Malone. The night before we got him, I was so excited, I couldn't sleep. So I got up and found websites just full of names, and picked out probably 50 of them that I thought might be THE one. Well, after we picked him up, we started down that list, and one by one we crossed them off. They were all common, or just didn't seem to fit. We were way down the list, only one more to go, and the name was "Brigadier". I burst out laughing 'cause that just wouldn't do for the cutest pup ever, and Mark (my hubby) says, "Uh, Right, how about "Private"? So I finished off by singing "You'll always be riding wth Private Malone" (Country Song by David Ball). And since we planned on ALWAYS taking him with us as much as possible, the name fit. Also, around the same time, we were reading a novel together that we really enjoyed that was set in Malone, NY, and so that seemed like a re-confirmation. And that's how the puppy got his name.

Azure-birdie (pet of the day for August 1, 2002)!!! got his name because of his color. (Azure is French for Blue) Rilla, our yellow cockatiel was named Amorilla (Spanish for yellow). Marigold, our cat, looked just like a flower. Nibbles (our hamster) was named because that's what she did best (She passed away in 1998). Buffy, our second hamster (passed away 2001), was also named for her cute looks.