Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fatty Off To Vets Tomorrow Friday Donations Made This A Success!! *UPDATE BACK VETS!*

Fatty Off To Vets Tomorrow Friday Donations Made This A Success!! *UPDATE BACK VETS!*

Here is a link about the whole thing! http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=143998

I just wanted to let everyone know that Fatty will be taken to the vets tomorrow afternoon at 3 p.m. to figure out why he's been losing weight and for an all over checkup.

We have raised $179 to cover the vet appointment, if anyone would still like to donate you may and that will cover any gas expense or any meds he might need to go on or if I need to bring him back to my place to foster then it would pay for food and cat supplies.

My paypal account is [email protected]

If you want to donate tomorrow please let me today if you can because I won't be online much tomorrow since I'm planning on leaving at 6 a.m. to get to my sisters by 8:30 a.m. and catch Fatty and take him to the vets at 3 pm

Thank you all again so much and Fatty appreciates the donations!

Melissa
    Last edited by Anikaca77; 07-18-2008 at 09:25 PM.

OUR PET ANGELS WILL BE WITH FATTY TOMORROW AS A DELEGATION OF THE PET ANGELS VISITORS WILL COME FROM ARUBA TO COMFORT FATTY, AND WE ALL PRAY THAT FATTY CAN BE HELPED, AND THAT HE HAS A GOOD PROGNOSIS.
    THE FOUND CATS ARE PLEASED THAT THIER KNOT TOYS HELPED OUT
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

I hope nothing is seriously wrong Fatty.

Good luck tomorrow and Fatty wil be in my thoughts.
    Erin
    Owned by:
    Angel [six year old white domestic shorthair]

http://www.catster.com/cats/815600

Pets name: Gracie
    Adopt your own!

He and you will be in our prayers!
    I've Been Frosted

Prayers for Fatty, that the vet visit goes well...
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

I hope everything comes out fine !! good luck!! & Ill be praying for you & fatty!!
    I love my cats sooo much!!.

Just wanted to let everyone know that I'm at my sisters and Fatty is upstairs in the bathroom in a cage until his appointment at 3 pm

I didn't see any fleas on him but that doesn't mean he doesn't have them so I'm just being extra careful especially since there are three other cats here in the house.

I will send a post either later tonight or tomorrow on hows Fatty vet appointment went.

Thank you all again so much for your help in this,
    Melissa

Hi All,

Well I made it back to State College, and Fatty is is at my sister's back outside for now.

The vet visit was $36, and of course the vet felt the need to run the complete blood work on Fatty so that was $105, and then instead of doing the FIV/FELV combo test (the vet felt that if Fatty was FIV/FELV he would of had signs by now since we've seen him for close to 4 years now hanging around and he's been pretty healthy except for lately) we did a thyroid test on him and that was $30.

Well after getting Fatty's blood drawn we had to wait about an hour until the results were done....I think they were done sooner but they had a lot of people to wait on and Fatty was a trooper, he just sat in the cat carrier didn't cry once. He was such a good boy. By the way we found he's a FIXED BOY!!! YEAH!!! The vet came to get us (my mom and me and well of course Fatty) and we went over his blood work and the vet said that Fatty has hyperthyroidism

He went over several options, surgery sounded too risky, he mentioned a radioactive dye that would be injected into Fatty and that's done for about 5 days while he would stay at a hospital (most likely in the city) this option though we felt might be a bit too expensive at the moment....and well there's giving him 1 pill Twice a DAY.

So the total vet visit, $36 office visit, $105 blood test, $30 thyroid test, $32 for the Methimazole 5 mg = $203

We finally left the vets at 5 pm and his appointment was for 3 pm so I was glad and I'm sure Fatty was glad to get out of there we headed back to my sister's place.

I keep juggling in my mind how I was going to get Fatty a pill twice a day and whether I should take him back to my house and cause more chaos with my oldest kid Anika and well then there's the Hernia kid...who will need the bathroom to recoup at the end of this month.

Once I arrived to my sister's place Pretty Girl (his buddy) was hanging out on my sister's step just waiting for Fatty and I showed Pretty Girl the cat carrier and she knew Fatty was in there and so we put Fatty in the cat carrier outside on the step (I needed some time to think about what I could do for him) and Pretty Girl sat right next to him and wouldn't move. She just wanted him out so bad and of course I felt horrible for keeping them separated.

So about 5 minutes of Fatty sitting outside in the cat carrier and Pretty Girl siting next to him my sister came home and I discussed Fatty with her and she said she would be able to give him a pill once a day because generally he doesn't show up in the mornings when she leaves for work.

After my sister and I had a quick discussion we decided to leave Fatty back out and Pretty Girl just went up to him after he walked out of the cat carrier and gave him a bunch of kisses! It was the sweetest thing in the world to see and that's why I know that they both need to go to a home together.

Right now I'm looking for a foster home for Fatty so that he will get his meds on a regular basis so that we can see him fatten back up and get healthy and Pretty Girl will need to follow Fatty as well. A permanent home would be ideal especially an indoor home only. So please, please cross post this to as many of your friends and family that might be looking 2 super sweet cats that need an indoor homes especially before winter hits this year.

I've attached a picture that I took of Fatty today.

Melissa
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I just read this thread and the previous one about Fatty and you have really worked hard on this guy's behalf! I'm so glad to hear that you were able to get him to the vet and that you received donations from PT'rs to help make it happen. I will try and put something towards future stuff for Fatty and Pretty girl next month if you need it at that time. That was quite a story to read how Pretty Girl was waiting for him and then greeted him with so much affection when he got back. So sweet! She was probably pretty worried that night when he wasn't around and wondered what had happened to him.
    I was so relieved to read that you are planning to try and find them a home together. They are each other's family. She is lovely and looks like a tortie/tabby cross?
    I hope giving the meds just once a day will be enough for Fatty. Maybe you could call the vet and ask what kind of results this will produce? I don't know very much about hyperthyroidism so I don't have any advice on this but I'm sure the vet could tell you if it would be effective or not to give the meds once per day.
    If it's not, do you think that Fatty and Pretty girl could temporarily reside at your house until a home for them is found? It sounds like you've got your hands full with Athena and his upcoming surgery but maybe after things settle down in a month or so? It may not work at all but I read in one of your posts that you were considering it and it might be the best way to make sure this guy gets his meds twice a day and puts on some weight and begins to get healthy and having Pretty Girl with him might help him to adjust. He will be more adoptable if he's in better condition as well. She probably needs to be spayed, dewormed and deflead as well before she is adopted. I would like to contribute to that if you are able to line it up.
    Anyway, just wanted to post and say that I think you are wonderful for taking care of these two cats and all the animals that cross your path who are in need.

Here is a picture of Pretty Girl that is up for adoption with Fatty of course.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hi there,

Thank you so much for your kind words on what I wrote about Fatty and Pretty Girl.

You mentioned about put something towards future stuff for Fatty and Pretty Girl next month and well I have to take Fatty back to the vets in 3 weeks to get his levels checked to see how they are doing with the meds and I could sure use some donations at that point.

I haven't made the vet appointment yet only because I'm hoping to get Fatty and Pretty Girl adopted.

Pretty Girl was only separated from Fatty from 10 a.m. that morning till about 5 pm till I got back.

I've posted a picture of Pretty Girl and yes I think she is a cross between a tabby/tortie.

I'm going to be contacting the vets regarding giving Fatty the meds only once a day instead of twice a day.

My sister is a PA and she said she wouldn't prescribe that type of meds to her patients so I'm not sure why she said that but she also said that she will be stopping the pills soon.

I'm hoping she won't or I might be forced to go get Fatty and Pretty Girl.

Right now I have a small one bedroom apartment so the only place to put Fatty and Pretty Girl would be in the bathroom so I'm going to try really hard to find a foster home/permanent home for both of them together.

I just don't feel it's too fair to keep them in my bathroom at the moment since I do have such a small place with 7 cats already.

Again, I'm just going to work very hard in trying to find them both a home together where they will be happy.

I have a feeling that since we found out Fatty is fixed and Pretty Girl has never been pregnant since the time my sister moved in that she is probably already fixed.

She would need a vet appointment in the future though, for a check up of course.

Thank you again for your kind words,
    Melissa

Quote Originally Posted by Emeraldgreen View Post
    I just read this thread and the previous one about Fatty and you have really worked hard on this guy's behalf! I'm so glad to hear that you were able to get him to the vet and that you received donations from PT'rs to help make it happen. I will try and put something towards future stuff for Fatty and Pretty girl next month if you need it at that time. That was quite a story to read how Pretty Girl was waiting for him and then greeted him with so much affection when he got back. So sweet! She was probably pretty worried that night when he wasn't around and wondered what had happened to him.
    I was so relieved to read that you are planning to try and find them a home together. They are each other's family. She is lovely and looks like a tortie/tabby cross?
    I hope giving the meds just once a day will be enough for Fatty. Maybe you could call the vet and ask what kind of results this will produce? I don't know very much about hyperthyroidism so I don't have any advice on this but I'm sure the vet could tell you if it would be effective or not to give the meds once per day.
    If it's not, do you think that Fatty and Pretty girl could temporarily reside at your house until a home for them is found? It sounds like you've got your hands full with Athena and his upcoming surgery but maybe after things settle down in a month or so? It may not work at all but I read in one of your posts that you were considering it and it might be the best way to make sure this guy gets his meds twice a day and puts on some weight and begins to get healthy and having Pretty Girl with him might help him to adjust. He will be more adoptable if he's in better condition as well. She probably needs to be spayed, dewormed and deflead as well before she is adopted. I would like to contribute to that if you are able to line it up.
    Anyway, just wanted to post and say that I think you are wonderful for taking care of these two cats and all the animals that cross your path who are in need.

Melissa - why not email your local paper and the one in the town where your sisters lives, and tell them this story? ESPECIALLY about Pretty Girl missing her 'boyfriend' and sitting beside his carrier, and giving him all those kisses when he came out! People LOVE that stuff.
    Especially with Fatty being a bit of a 'special needs' boy.

You don't have to be a "writer" - they would likely have someone call you back and answer a few questions. Just decide who they should contact - perhaps the vet that treated Fatty would allow their # to be used.

Think about how the cats and dogs that make the news get adopted faster! I'd enlist the help of the media in this case. Go for it!

Pretty Girl lives up to her name!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Catty,

I will do that.

I called the vets this morning to ask them if 1 pill would be good enough or if I could give the cat 2 pills at the same time and the vet said no.

So I have to try super fast to get Fatty and Pretty Girl a home so that he will have his meds given to him on a regular basis.

I will see what newspapers there are and see if I can get the story out there.

Melissa

Quote Originally Posted by Catty1 View Post
    Melissa - why not email your local paper and the one in the town where your sisters lives, and tell them this story? ESPECIALLY about Pretty Girl missing her 'boyfriend' and sitting beside his carrier, and giving him all those kisses when he came out! People LOVE that stuff.
    Especially with Fatty being a bit of a 'special needs' boy.

You don't have to be a "writer" - they would likely have someone call you back and answer a few questions. Just decide who they should contact - perhaps the vet that treated Fatty would allow their # to be used.

Think about how the cats and dogs that make the news get adopted faster! I'd enlist the help of the media in this case. Go for it!

Pretty Girl lives up to her name!

How is Mr. Fatty and Pretty Girl doing?

Thank you so much for asking, the other night I spoke with my sister and Pretty Girl was around and she was looking good.

Fatty is still looking the same my sister said, he is not getting the pills everyday like he should but I've been hanging up flyers around town and I have him and Pretty Girl listed up on Petfinder and so far nothing.

I wish I had better news but my sister is continuing to feed him can food and Pretty Girl gets can food too but I've had no one who would like to adopt them.

I guess the only best thing is my sister is going to keep tract and if he gets worse she promised me she would take him to the vets.

Thank you for asking,
    Melissa

Quote Originally Posted by Emeraldgreen View Post
    How is Mr. Fatty and Pretty Girl doing?