Thread: **URGENT** HELP needed for cat

**URGENT** HELP needed for cat

Okay, so long story short, my aunt and uncle have a orange DSH that they've had for a couple years. Oscar (the cat) has recently picked up a peeing problem.

-He's neutered
    -Only cat
    -No medical problems (he's been to the vet many times over his peeing issue)
    -At first, he only did it when he was left home alone for an extended period of time. (They camp every weekend.) I stayed with him this weekend and he peed on one of the matresses. I was home, he was happy and cuddling with me, he must have done it while I was sleeping.
    -One litterbox in the house, cleaned everyday.

They can't take it anymore. He's ruined matresses, clothes, blankets, rugs, you name it. They said they either need to rehome him, or more drastic measures need to be taken. (PTS)

Don't get me wrong, they love this cat more than anything, but they are out of ideas and they don't know what else to do.

Suggestions please?

twitter.
    http://twitter.com/meganxxjo

now she's slowly opening
    new eyes.

Time to contact a pet communicator! I would try any and all avenues before considering sending him to RB... It could be a simple easy fix that noboy has thought of....

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

I actually considered a communicator. I'll have to suggest it. I'm not sure how she'll react to that though She might think its too "out there".

Thanks!

twitter.

now she's slowly opening
    new eyes.

And That Sadly Is One Of The Main Reasons That Pets Are Pts Or Given Away As Noone Wants A Pet Whos Going To Ruin Furniture And Make A Home Unsanitary.
    It Sounds As Though That Orangie Has Seperationanxiety And Hates When His Guardians Are Gone.
    We Are Praying That A Soultion Can Be Found Without That Poor Cat Being Pts. They Would Feel Guilty About That For Years.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

I know. I feel just as awful. He was always fine with me until recently, he's started peeing on things when I'M around. =[

twitter.

now she's slowly opening
    new eyes.

My suggestions would be:
    -Make sure they clean every thing he has peed on well with something like Nature's Miracle or any of those enzyme cleaners. It's very important to remove the urine smell or he'll keep going to it.
    - Try Feliway plug-ins or spray to help calm him and ease the sense of needing to mark things.
    - Try Cat Attract litter to try to retrain him to the litterbox and add an extra box in another location if possible.
    - Shut doors to rooms he doesn't need to be in to lessen the chance he will pee there.
    - Last resort is medication. There is clomicalm, kitty prozac and even valium - speak to the vet about these options.

Sounds like he doesn't like to be left alone and that started a very nasty habit. It may take several things including drugs to break that habit.

From Decker with Love

CathyBogart was/is having a similar problem. It seems to be less of a problem lately due to the fact that she got a second box. So now kitty pees in one box and poos in the other. Maybe that is Oscars deal too.

Good Luck! I hope you can solve the problem without having to go to drastic measures.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

did they take a picture to see if any chrystals or...can't remember but there are a couple of things he could have that a picture would show...mostly chrystals that haven't blocked him but is causeing him pain?

Thank You Kim for this wonderful siggy

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power ,the world will know peace" jimi hendrix

What Jazzcat said - clean EVERYTHING needed with an enzyme cleaner to get rid of the pee smell. That helps the humans, but also the cat doesn't get a 'scent' message saying it's ok to pee in that place.

Cat Attract litter - if that is too expensive, there is something you can add to the litter to make it smell attractive. ALSO, try an extra litter box.

From a post by Jen Luckenbach:
    cat attract litter IS quite expensive, but I found some places offer it cheaper than others.

Also, there is a product to add to regular UNSCENTED litter. http://www.preciouscat.com/attract-l...-your-p-7.html

http://www.healthypets.com/catattract.html

http://www.amazon.com/Dr-Elseys-Prec.../dp/B000IJ9MCU
    I think he is just upset because he doesn't like being alone. They could get him a cat for a friend! If they try the Feliway, have them spray a tiny bit on a stretchy collar. It lasts way longer and is "with" the cat longer.

Another option - rehome him with people who will be at home more often. That is drastic - but not as drastic as PTS.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Get a urine sample checked for germs and crystals. If it's medical, it can be remedied with medicine or a change of food. This happened to my cat, and he turned out to have painful crystals forming in his bladder and blocking his urethra (poor kitty!) A change of diet cleared it right up.

Love, Columbine