Thread: Possible new addition - need advice first!

Possible new addition - need advice first!

I've been contemplating adding another Guinea pig to the family ever since I started my mad research burst about piggies when I was trying to figure out how to take better care of Lucy (my current female piggy). My desire to add another piggy was put on hold because of time and space.
    Now, however, I am able to get a new pig. It would have happened by now, but all of the petstore pigs are male, and that would so not be good.

I was browsing craigslist the other day and stumbled upon an ad that was selling three peruvian baby piggies - two male, one female. Inquired about the female and everything is ready to go - I just need to give the breeder my comfirmation.

But before I do that, I have two questions that have been nagging at the back of my mind that I'd like some input on:

1. Lucy is, to my best guestimate, around four years old. She's getting to the end of her life span. She has also been an only pig for her entire life. Would adding a second pig now be a bad idea? Do you think she'd take to a new one after being single for so long?
    Once I add another pig, I will always have two...that means once Lucy passes on I will be getting another one to keep the little girl company.

2. The piggy in question is a Peruvian piggy. When I inquired about it I thought it was an Aby. The breeder said that her long coat as an adult can easily be kept trimmed short for care, but I want to confirm this. Is there anything else I should know about the Peruvian breed?

Here is the little girl in question. She's been Champion bred and the breeder sounds like he knows what he is doing, so she'll hopefully be of good temperment and quality:
    ~My Clan: Blackie, Rose, Chloe (dogs), Casey, Dameon (ferts), Pheobe (kitty), Dot, Louie (Cavies), Joey (Teil), Pikachu (Dwarf Hammie), Sadie (Guide Dog), R.I.P. Rush (15yrs), R.I.P. Lucy (4yrs)~

I don't have any advice as I've never had piggies, but I just wanted to say that the little girl you posted is ADORABLE!!

Ashley

Hi, I've never had guinea pigs either so I've got no advice.
    Just wondering if you did get some advice in the end and did you get the new addition.

thanks k9krazee for the signature!