Thread: New to the Cat forum..

New to the Cat forum..

Hello PT'ers. I haven't really ventured to much in this part of the forum, but I have a question.
    I will be going away to college, and I really want a lil one to keep me company. I do have two cats with me at the moment, but they are camera shy, and I guess they have always been more of my sisters' kitties. They are Peek-a-Boo and Autumn,
    Anyway, I do like cats, and I figured that an older kitty would make a good companion for me in college (if I can find a cat-friendly apartment). I would get one from the humane society, and hopefully a female. I don't want him/her to be too old, but not too young that he/she would be too adventurous. What age would you recommend, and do you think this would be a good idea?
    Thanks in advance!!

It is less a matter of age and more a matter of personality. But a good age to start at would be 5 (or older).

I would wait and see if I could find a place to live and have a pet before I got one. It would be a shame to get one only to have to leave it behind because no one would allow pets.

Having said that, they are great companions and a lot of company when you live alone (or even with someone). I would say 3 to 5 years would be a good age. I have noticed that at age 5 mine matured and became even sweetier, at 3 they still have some playfuness in them and are fun to watch and play with. One would help you study and hold your books down to make sure they don't fall off the table and help hold your paper as you wrote and keep your lap warm while on the computer.

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

Sure, older cats can be great companions, especially ones that are, say, 5 years old and up. They're still young and have a lot of good years left but not so young as to be rambunctious and into everything, although there are exceptions to the rule. As long as you check everything out ahead of time, that you're allowed to have a cat where you live and you realize the expense involved, go for it! I think it's a great idea!
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

AND WITH A CAT THATS 5 OR EVEN A LITTLE OLDER , YOU WOULD BE ADOPTING A FRIEND WHOSE PURRRSOANLITY IS ALREADY SET , AND YOU KNOW WHAT THIER TEMPERMENT IS.
    AND THAT CAT WOULD BE SO GRATEFUL NOT BEING CAGED , AND YOU WOULD DEFINITLEY BE SAVING A LIFE, AS THEY ARE THE FIRST TO BE PTS, WHEN THE KITTENS START COMING IN.
    PLEASE LET US NOW ABOUT YOUR NEW COMPANON.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Thanks everyone. Do not worry, I would not even think about getting a cat until I had somewhere to live, and already moved in!! I need to be set and comfortable so the new cat would feel much more welcomed!!
    I wouldn't adopt a kitten for the facts that were stated, but you enforced it. I am now set in adopting a cat around the ages you recommend.
    Thank you again, and I will let you know what the verdict is! I hope that it works out, and that there are apartments willing to let me have a cat!!

If you end up having room mates with you, make sure they are super responsible. I've seen some very sad outcomes from college kids (and others) whose roommates didn't follow instructions, left window screen and windows open, front door ajar... just never thinking,... and the cats got out and some were never found, and some were hit on the road.