Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any idea what is wrong?

Good luck. To be honest, if they just did a heartworm test and a fecal, they aren't doing enough. I really wouldn't trust the opinion of a vet who gives me a generic medicine "to clear up all intestinal problems" while I wait. I think with this vet you are going to be running in circles of treatment-recovery-recurrence until something major happens. You don't test for pancreatitis with a fecal test, you don't test for megacolon with a fecal test, you just don't get much from a fecal test besides parasites.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Quote Originally Posted by IRescue452 View Post
    Good luck. To be honest, if they just did a heartworm test and a fecal, they aren't doing enough. I really wouldn't trust the opinion of a vet who gives me a generic medicine "to clear up all intestinal problems" while I wait. I think with this vet you are going to be running in circles of treatment-recovery-recurrence until something major happens. You don't test for pancreatitis with a fecal test, you don't test for megacolon with a fecal test, you just don't get much from a fecal test besides parasites.
    I suppose he didn't feel worried enough to think a blood panel was neccessary at the time. He wanted to rule out anything basic before we did the blood test. Perhaps we should have done that the other way around, but too late now, and I couldn't have afforded the blood panel in the same vet visit. They COULD have taken the cost out of my next paycheck, but I'd really like for that option to be for a worst case scenario.

And now that I think about it I still get a shot of dread form my head to my toes when I think of going through with Chloe what we went through with Rush. The way I'm feeling now, five days won't hurt her one way or another and it will give me time to wrap my head around the fact that something is/could be wrong. I thought I was "over" Rush's passing, but coming to find out that Chloe could also have an on going medical problem just brought everything back up and it's hard. It's psycological and stupid, but its still how I feel.

She's had loose poo again this morning and it was firm all day yesterday...*sigh* I don't know if it was because of the vaccs she got, or what. On the bright side, she is eating now.

Speaking of eating, my mom accidentally purchased the wrong food for her...it is still Lamb and Rice with the same ingredients, but it is a low fat version (more rice than lamb). Same protien content, just half the fat. (Not exactly what the doctor ordered, but I think Chloe'll live.)
    I'm feeding her a cup more than what she used to get (three cups a day + a little bit of canned) per the guide on the back of the bag, but should I be worried about anything else?
    ~My Clan: Blackie, Rose, Chloe (dogs), Casey, Dameon (ferts), Pheobe (kitty), Dot, Louie (Cavies), Joey (Teil), Pikachu (Dwarf Hammie), Sadie (Guide Dog), R.I.P. Rush (15yrs), R.I.P. Lucy (4yrs)~

I would just keep track of everything she ingests, to rule out food allergies. So no treats unless you know what is in them, and keep a list of what she eats when, to see if there's any pattern.

As a person with food allergies, I can also tell you that after a bad reaction (vomiting and "loose stool") I do NOT want to eat, and am honestly not even feeling hungry for a couple days. Thankfully I haven't had any change in my allergies lately!
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    I would just keep track of everything she ingests, to rule out food allergies. So no treats unless you know what is in them, and keep a list of what she eats when, to see if there's any pattern.

As a person with food allergies, I can also tell you that after a bad reaction (vomiting and "loose stool") I do NOT want to eat, and am honestly not even feeling hungry for a couple days. Thankfully I haven't had any change in my allergies lately!
    I've thought about allergies before, so I've been trying to keep an eye on what she eats treat wise. Regular milk bones don't seem to cause any problems, nor does the begg'n strips she eats which are both pretty generic has-everything-in-them kind of treats.
    However, this lamb and rice food really seem to be helping with her normal poo, so she may have a mild case of some type of allergy. Maybe chicken is the problem, but the Chicken Soup food had everything from Chicken, to turkey, to herring, so who knows.
    ~My Clan: Blackie, Rose, Chloe (dogs), Casey, Dameon (ferts), Pheobe (kitty), Dot, Louie (Cavies), Joey (Teil), Pikachu (Dwarf Hammie), Sadie (Guide Dog), R.I.P. Rush (15yrs), R.I.P. Lucy (4yrs)~