Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I am so pleased with Hannah

I am so pleased with Hannah

Since Hannah came home I have been breaking this rule that is apparently set in stone and I must do it or I will have a child that won't sleep or something lol...

Anyway... I have always been guilty of snuggling her to sleep in my arms and then p utting her to bed. I figured as long as she was willing to cuddle with me I was going to cuddle with her and I couldn't have cared less about the future problems I might have lol.

She is starting to get a little difficult now when I snuggle her. she squirms and wiggles and laughs (she is trying to make me laugh) etc etc. she will only cuddle if she is REALLY tired. So I have started putting her in her crib to fall asleep in there.....

I just started this about a week ago and honestly..... WOW. From the first day I did it she never fussed at ALL. she played in her crib for about a half hour and then was out like a light. Now she only plays for about ten minutes and then she is out. but never fusses about being in there.

I am so glad she has taken so well to going to her crib to fall asleep. I'm so proud of her. she's growing up so fast. She needs me less and less everyday

R.I.P my dear Sweet Teddy. You will be missed forever. We love you.

http://www.hannahshands.etsy.com

Not really sure I agree with the statement that she needs you less and less everyday...LOL

I slept with Jonah forever, he always fell asleep nursing, he slept in my bed, with me in there, without me in there, etc, probably most of his first 2 years. Now? He goes to sleep willingly without me, with me, in my bed, in his bed, etc, and he is 3.5! It has, IMO, everything to do with the child's personality, and nothing to do with these seemingly bad habits we create.

I say snuggle them all day long, twice on Sunday, and enjoy it while you can. It will change.

She will still need you trust me! I have a 15 and 17 year old, they need rides to work, rides to the mall, rides to movies, money for movies! I force out a hug here and there still. They need me to say "no, you can't do that" even more than they ever needed me.

My two were so different sleep wise, my youngest would take herself to bed, my oldest I had to stay with her and sneak out quietly.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

Quote Originally Posted by sparks19 View Post
    Since Hannah came home I have been breaking this rule that is apparently set in stone and I must do it or I will have a child that won't sleep or something lol...
    There is no such rule! Every child is different and every family needs to do what works best for them. I'm glad Hannah is doing so well, but please don't feel that you were 'breaking a rule' by cuddling her to sleep. We've co-slept with Nathan since the day he was born. I wouldn't have it any other way. Co-sleeping doesn't work for everyone, but it's what works for us.
    - Kari
    skin kids- Nathan, Topher, & Lilla

Quote Originally Posted by Cataholic View Post
    Not really sure I agree with the statement that she needs you less and less everyday...LOL

I slept with Jonah forever, he always fell asleep nursing, he slept in my bed, with me in there, without me in there, etc, probably most of his first 2 years. Now? He goes to sleep willingly without me, with me, in my bed, in his bed, etc, and he is 3.5! It has, IMO, everything to do with the child's personality, and nothing to do with these seemingly bad habits we create.

I say snuggle them all day long, twice on Sunday, and enjoy it while you can. It will change.
    LOL I know she doesn't really need me less and less... but it sure feels that way sometimes haha. when she wants to feed herself her bottle and doesn't want me to hold it. when she doesn't want to snuggle to go to sleep. where has that little baby gone lol.

My friends pediatrician actually asks her if her daughter is falling asleep on her own in her own crib yet and keeps telling her she needs to start doing that. I'm so glad my ped never even asks let alone tells me that I can't snuggle Hannah to sleep without causing future problems lol.

I agree it is the personality of the child that makes the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by caseysmom View Post
    She will still need you trust me! I have a 15 and 17 year old, they need rides to work, rides to the mall, rides to movies, money for movies! I force out a hug here and there still. They need me to say "no, you can't do that" even more than they ever needed me.

My two were so different sleep wise, my youngest would take herself to bed, my oldest I had to stay with her and sneak out quietly.
    I know she still needs me it just seems like she is growing up so fast and before I know it she will be moving out and going to college lol. It seems like just yesterday she was this tiny little peanut that needed my help to even hold her head up... now I am just a clown to be laughed at and entertain her WHEN she decides she wants to be entertained and I am to leave her alone when she wants to do her own plaything lol

Quote Originally Posted by KBlaix View Post
    There is no such rule! Every child is different and every family needs to do what works best for them. I'm glad Hannah is doing so well, but please don't feel that you were 'breaking a rule' by cuddling her to sleep. We've co-slept with Nathan since the day he was born. I wouldn't have it any other way. Co-sleeping doesn't work for everyone, but it's what works for us.
    Oh I definitely don't regret it or feel guilty for doing it. I can just recall all the people that would tell me how many problems I would have later when she has to fall asleep on her own (she has always slept in her own crib at night but would nap in my arms during the day). they act like it's some crime against nature lol.

Indeed, it's all about the personality. My niece, Grace, will absolutely NOT fall asleep unless she is cuddled. Well, not so much any more (she is 3 and a half now), and very independent (ironically enough), so she is probably sleeping in her bed now. At any rate! It was pretty difficult to do things while carrying a sleeping baby.

I know she still needs me it just seems like she is growing up so fast and before I know it she will be moving out and going to college lol. It seems like just yesterday she was this tiny little peanut that needed my help to even hold her head up... now I am just a clown to be laughed at and entertain her WHEN she decides she wants to be entertained and I am to leave her alone when she wants to do her own plaything lol
    Well the thing is God has it all planned out, in his immininent grace he has given us the "teenage years", this has enabled us to let go, in fact it has allowed us to want them to get the heck out!
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

Quote Originally Posted by caseysmom View Post
    Well the thing is God has it all planned out, in his immininent grace he has given us the "teenage years", this has enabled us to let go, in fact it has allowed us to want them to get the heck out!
    LMFAO.... I am glad for the time being I still have many years to go before we enter the teen years

My friends pediatrician actually asks her if her daughter is falling asleep on her own in her own crib yet and keeps telling her she needs to start doing that.
    Ah, pediatricians! Gotta love 'em- for MEDICAL advice that is...things like, sleep, nutrition, breastfeeding- go to someone that actually has the education to support their opinions.

Oh I definitely don't regret it or feel guilty for doing it. I can just recall all the people that would tell me how many problems I would have later when she has to fall asleep on her own (she has always slept in her own crib at night but would nap in my arms during the day). they act like it's some crime against nature lol.
    I know the kind of people you are talking about. I have a very "by the book" friend. Almost every time I see her she tells me how bad co-sleeping is. She tells me "we let our daughter cry it out in her crib, it's hard to listen to, but it's what you're suppose to do". (Her daughter cried herself to sleep until she was 3, that's not what I want for my child.) I wouldn't be opposed to letting Nathan put himself to sleep in his crib if he went to sleep as nicely as Hannah does, I'm just not a fan of the cry it out method. In fact Nathan has a little "bed" in the living room he and he'll sometimes put him self down for a nap.

Quote Originally Posted by Cataholic View Post
    Ah, pediatricians! Gotta love 'em- for MEDICAL advice that is...things like, sleep, nutrition, breastfeeding- go to someone that actually has the education to support their opinions.
    That's one reason we love our pediatrician, he will not give out personal opinions, he's very good about only giving medical advise. He got called out of the office one time right before our appointment, we were asked if we wanted to see one of their other pediatricians or reschedule, we decided to see the other doctor. That was a mistake and we totally hated her! She was adamant that we have Nathan on 3 full solid meals a day, before he was 6 months old! Justin and I then made it clear that we would not see that doctor again as we did not agree with her ways at all.
    - Kari
    skin kids- Nathan, Topher, & Lilla

Gotta love all of those books, the ones that make you think that you are a bad parent if your child doesn't fall asleep on his own the second you put him in his crib by 4 months old Ty gets a bottle at night and then is cuddled to sleep. I tried a few times to put him in his crib awake, but he cries. For naps, I nurse him to sleep then hold him while he naps. Sure, I don't get much done around the house, but the time will come soon enough when he doesn't want mommy to cuddle him to pieces anymore so I want to enjoy this time while I can.

Last week Ty wasn't feeling well, and he got very clingy to me. So he has been co-sleeping with us since then. We are planning on putting him back in the crib, although I know it is going to be a rough transition back. I will probably have a couple of rough nights.

Good to know that Hannah goes to her crib alone so well And I know what you mean by saying they need you less and less.....it just seems like they are already growing up so fast, it won't be long before they are off to college! So let's just enjoy them wanting to cuddle with mom while they still want to

Quote Originally Posted by JenBKR View Post
    Gotta love all of those books, the ones that make you think that you are a bad parent if your child doesn't fall asleep on his own the second you put him in his crib by 4 months old Ty gets a bottle at night and then is cuddled to sleep. I tried a few times to put him in his crib awake, but he cries. For naps, I nurse him to sleep then hold him while he naps. Sure, I don't get much done around the house, but the time will come soon enough when he doesn't want mommy to cuddle him to pieces anymore so I want to enjoy this time while I can.

Last week Ty wasn't feeling well, and he got very clingy to me. So he has been co-sleeping with us since then. We are planning on putting him back in the crib, although I know it is going to be a rough transition back. I will probably have a couple of rough nights.

Good to know that Hannah goes to her crib alone so well And I know what you mean by saying they need you less and less.....it just seems like they are already growing up so fast, it won't be long before they are off to college! So let's just enjoy them wanting to cuddle with mom while they still want to

LOL that is exactly how I feel about it. I said to my husband last night that after thinking about it... I'm not sure it was my decision to start putting her in her crib... I think it was Hannah's decision because she didn't want to fall asleep in my arms anymore haha. Now when I try to "cuddle" her... she just wants to play lol. she tries to grab my nose, or squirm around... or her famous thing is... she will laugh just a little and then wait for my response and she will keep doing it until I laugh lol... and it usually works.

Hannah was also sick the week before last. She ended up having an ear infection and an upper respiratory infection. She was pretty sick and yeah she was pretty clingy then too. Brian bit the bullet and offered his side of the bed to Hannah while he slept on the couch lol. So hannah did spend one night in my bed... but very little sleep was had lol.

Yea, i totally agree with you guys!

I firmly believe that babies NEED to be held and cuddled. I was criticized soooo badly by a family member right after Lydia was born. She was 3 days old, and he told me that I was spoiling her. Well if thats spoiling, then I want my daughter to be spoiled rotten!

I rocked Lydia to sleep until she was about 13-14 months old, and then gradually weaned her to falling asleep in her crib. I never did a "Cry-it-out" with her. She loves her crib, and if she isn't sleepy she will play in there until she falls asleep. No crying. Like right now, I am listening to her sing as she gets ready for nap time. BTW, I still rock, and sing and talk to her before every bedtime/naptime. Its sooo important to build a foundation for a relationship of communication. I want her to be able to tell me everything that goes on in her head, and that starts now.

So rock them babies, love on them, and hold them tight because they grow up wayyy too fast!!!