Thread: question about microchipping

question about microchipping

seriously thinking about getting my boys chipped. Toby manages to get his collar off even when he's in the house, so I know it would be gone if he ever got out.

Anyway, I had Havoc at the vet yesterday for a checkup and that particular vet used the HomeAgain chip. I didn't get him done, but looking at their website it looks as if you have to renew the registration every year? Cost about 15 bucks per chip to renew.

One of my other vets uses AVID (I think) and I see that AVID charges $19 to register per pet, but it looks like it's a one-time deal.

Are there any other chip brands out there? Can anyone confirm or deny the annual renewal fees?

Only Miquellito My Little Orange Lion and Pouncierge the Purrfect are micro chipped as they come from a cattery.
    If Toby is tah tricky, it may be well to have him micro chipped in case he gets lost, and cannot find his way back home!
    We are praying that never happens.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

The following post explains pretty much what I was told when I had all of our cats microchipped - hope this is accurate. That first year of coverage had all sorts of bells and whistles and the annual fee extends that extra part but the animal is STILL microchipped and in the computer. I went ahead and did the optional stuff for the first year - uploaded photos with info about markings, height, weight etc , got them each little photo id tags for my keychain... but even that part the vet office had told me I could do or not do but was provided for that first year. Maybe others will be able to clarify with authority.

from http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=177881
    Just thought I'd make a new post about this since there has been some confusion.

When you get a Home Again microchip, you pay an initial fee. That puts your pet in their database, and gives you full coverage for 1 year. This full coverage includes 24/7 medical assistance to a hotline, they assist you if your pet goes missing (contact vets and shelters in your area), and I think there was something else.

After a year you have the option to renew that full coverage, or just stick with the basic free service which is keeping your pet in their database.

If I log in to my HomeAgain account, I have my 3 kitties as well as a bunch of kitties I fostered and adopted out recently whose owners haven't changed their information to their name. The recently chipped kitties have "Full" service next to their names, and the date the full service expires. My kitties have "Limited" service, and it gives me the option to upgrade to full service. I don't see the point, so I'm sticking with the basic service.

So please don't let the idea of an annual fee discourage you from microchipping your pet - you have the choice of whether to pay for their full coverage.

Also found this at the Homeagain site:
    I have already enrolled with HomeAgain some time ago. Am I entitled to the new services?

As an existing HomeAgain client you are entitled to our basic recovery service for life. None of the new services (proactive recovery, emergency service, online health information) will be available to you unless you enroll with the new HomeAgain. There is an annual enrollment fee of $14.99.

hmmm..... the vet said that if I didn't renew my info every year that the Home Again chip could only be traced back to the clinic that gave it, not the specific animal. The info on full/basic coverage is interesting though. My main concern about recovery is that the person finding the animal would still have to get it scanned. I live in a rural area so I'm not sure that would even happen. It's pretty common for folks around here to take only minimal care of their own animals let alone one they found. It's more like "hey there's another cat hanging around lately. I'll feed that one too". However the local shelter does scan for chips if any animals end up there. I'd be worried that someone would want to keep my boys and they'd never even check for a chip though. Let's face it my kitties are cute, LOL. (granted I'm a little biased)

Anyone here have AVID? I'm wanting to say there was another brand.... something starting with an "S".

I'll try to remember to call my other vets I have used to see which chips they have.

San Francisco, CA, where life is happy and gay!
    Gosh, I have NO idea what kind of chip Mitzi has, it was installed so long ago. I paid a one-time fee and understood it was forever. I've never gotten anything asking me to renew.

Little Ms. Mitzi Mitts
    Our Photo Albums are
    Here and Here
    In memory of my beloved fur children, Goldie, Mishi and Mitzi.
    Rest in peace and play hard at the Rainbow Bridge.
    Goldie: 9/5/88 - 4/10/03
    Mishi: with us from 5/5/03 - 7/13/07
    Mitzi: with us from 4/19/03 - 1/23/10

All of my Babies are Microchipped.. I paid a one time charge of $50.00 each & thats it & the chips are by Bayor.. Yes Home Again charges you $19.00 a year & that stinks..

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

My understanding is as you put in the initial post. AVID is a one time fee for life, and Home Again is an annual fee. Reason given was that Home Again sends out faxes to all vets in a set area, if you report the pet missing.

I just had the babies done when they were fixed. I don't have to pay for AVID. The vet pays it, and if they're lost, the call goes to them. Then they call me. If I want the calls to come to me, then I have to pay. Considering I have no problem with the whole call-the-vet-then-they-call-me thing, I'm a-ok. As long as they get back to me.

The only thing I don't like is I can feel it on Mystic. I feel a lump, about hte size of a grain of rice. Oh well, I know he'll be safe and FOUND if he ever got lost.

Mmmm thats odd.. You should not feel anything.. My Vet put the chip between the shoulder blades & you can not feel anything.. Yes the chip is the size of a grain of rice..
    Quote Originally Posted by catnapper View Post
    The only thing I don't like is I can feel it on Mystic. I feel a lump, about hte size of a grain of rice. Oh well, I know he'll be safe and FOUND if he ever got lost.

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>