Thread: Male Cat Spraying

Male Cat Spraying

I have three rescue cats who are all 8 years old (two males and one female). Sylvester who has always been somewhat of a quirky cat sprayed my couch last night. He backed up to it, sprayed and then scratched at it. He also did this in the same room on the wall a few years ago. Needless to say I'm concerned and my husband is not happy at all. I believe Sylvester is also spraying a massage chair, although for some reason there is not any smell with that. Nothing has changed in my house as far as food, liter and there has not been any additions of animals. Could this be a medical problem or is this strictly behavioral? If he does this again, I will take him to the vet. I'm afraid if he continues I will have to put him down.

CAN SOMEONE HELP ME WITH THIS PROBLEM???

Thanks!

I'm sorry to hear this. It could either be behavioral or medical. I'd take him to the vet so they can take a urine sample to rule out a medical problem. Are all of your cats spayed and neutered? If not then you need to get them fixed because this can also cause them to start spraying.

You need to also start cleaning up the areas he's sprayed with some type of enzyme cleaner or he'll continue to spray because he'll still be able to smell the urine. Have you tried using Feliway/Comfort Zone plugins or spray? This will help to calm the cats down and to also keep Sylvester from spraying. You can also try cat attract litter by Dr. Elsey which is sold at Petsmart or online. It also comes with a Litter Box Solutions Booklet that will give you a lot of great advice. I hope that something will work for you. I would hate for you to have to put Sylvester down for spraying.

As a last resort you can also ask your vet about giving him some medications to help calm him down. Kitty prozac is usually one of the best to try and some people have also had great success with clomicalm which is usually used in dogs. Good luck.

Sorry to hear about the spraying problems.

An excellent article called "Spraying Problems Can Be Solved" is available at Cats International:

http://www.catsinternational.org/art...bs_solved.html

You do NOT have to "put him down." He's trying to tell you something. Figuring out what he's saying is the hard part.

Good luck to you and your kitties!
    Spoiled child, bad
    Spoiled cat, good

What krazyaboutkatz said. And keep us posted, if you would.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Yes, all my cats have been fixed. I am currently in the process of trying to get the urine smell out of the couch. I know the importance of this. I will take Sylvester to the vet this week. Also, I might ask if I can try the Prozac as I have another male cat (Bert) on this medication. If he's not on the med, he stalks my female cat.

All was well last night. Thanks for your response. I will also check out the website that was recommended.

You do NOT have to "put him down." He's trying to tell you something. Figuring out what he's saying is the hard part.
    Nuff said. Cats don't inappropriately pee or spray unless there is something wrong. Usually crystals in the urine or a Urinary Tract Infection.

I hope they find out what the problem is.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!