Thread: Update #5 Credit card receipts found in New Jersey (FROM CALGARY and other places)

Update #5 Credit card receipts found in New Jersey (FROM CALGARY and other places)

http://calgary.ctv.ca/servlet/RTGAMA...calgary.ctv.ca

Credit card receipts found in New Jersey

calgary.ctv.ca

POSTED AT 5:43 PM Sunday, June 29

A print shop worker in New Jersey is alarmed at what he discovered this weekend, valuable information about hundreds of consumers in Calgary.

Jesse Bender says several papers fell out of a cardboard box he picked up at the print shop where he works in Rockaway, New Jersey.

When he opened the box he discovered over 1200 credit card receipts, from the Home Depot on Macleod Trail.

"When I opened it up a lot of paper fell down on the ground. I wasn't really sure what it was, and when I picked it up I seen they were credit receipts from Home Depot,” said Bender, “they were all from Calgary, from the store in Calgary."

The receipts clearly show credit card numbers, expiry dates, and signatures.

Bender told CTV News, he doesn't know how they ended up in his print shop in the U.S., but he worries what might have happened if they fell in to the wrong hands.

"There's nothing stopping me from going to one of these cyber cafes and sitting down at a computer and using that computer to place orders,” said Bender.

CTV News contacted the Home Depot on Macleod Trail this afternoon and were told the store manager wasn't available.

Bender doesn't plan on notifying the store and says he will destroy the stack of credit card receipts.

“I'm going to burn them or whatever and get rid of them. I just wanted to make somebody aware.”

The box also contained over 500 more receipts from Home Depot stores across the U.S.A.
    Last edited by Catty1; 06-30-2008 at 09:12 PM.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

GEEZ! That is alarming! Let hope he burns them only to find out they desperately need them back to get their money! That would be a lesson they would never forget!

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

Quote Originally Posted by Laura's Babies View Post
    GEEZ! That is alarming! Let hope he burns them only to find out they desperately need them back to get their money! That would be a lesson they would never forget!
    I'm sure they were the store's copies, I remember back when they used to take your credit card and make an imprint of it on the receipt, I imagine that's what he found in the box.

It's so scary to think they used to do it like that, though, EVERYTHING could be read because it's basically a picture of your credit card. With safety nowdays I'm sure it'd be harder to do it with just the receipt, but still anything is possible and it's scary

facebook

Wow! It's good to know that this is an honest person and won't use these slips to steal with.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

Home Depot responds to credit card mistake

http://calgary.ctv.ca/servlet/RTGAMA...calgary.ctv.ca

Home Depot responds to credit card mistake

calgary.ctv.ca

POSTED AT 6:23 PM Monday, June 30

Hundreds of credit card receipts from a Home Depot store in Calgary have ended up in a print shop in New Jersey.

Jesse Bender says the receipts fell out of a cardboard box at his shop in Rockaway, New Jersey.

The receipts clearly show credit card numbers, expiry dates and signatures.

Bender doesn't know how they ended up in his print shop but he worries what might have happened if they ended up the wrong hands.

He says there were other credit card receipts from home depots in the U.S.

He says he will destroy them all.

Bender told CTV News "it kind of alarmed me because I was kind of worried that somebody might get a hold of these, and it might not be the only case of this happening you know. Then when I went back to check to make sure there were no more, there were more and they were from other home depots".

Officials with Home Depot say they only learned about the wayward receipts after seeing the news on CTV Calgary.

They say they are greatly concerned about the incident and have launched an internal investigation.

Home Depot's lawyers also contacted Alberta's Privacy Commission to let it know about the problem.

The privacy commission does regulate this type of issue.

But it usually only acts on complaints and says that no one has complained about this security breach yet.

My question is WHY didn't the man who found them at least inform Home Depot about it? Because they are clearly concerned, and sad that they had to find out from watching CNN.

facebook

From the first story:
    CTV News contacted the Home Depot on Macleod Trail this afternoon and were told the store manager wasn't available.
    There were receipts from other Home Depot stores as well...maybe there were too many to try and contact? Likely didn't want to tie up the office phone for ages. Heck - even CTV (not CNN) couldn't get through to the manager. This guy works in a printing shop in NJ; Calgary is far away and he wouldn't be the first person to not know where the store is - or the other stores for that matter. It was good he told the media - and one hopes he notified the police.