Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Large Chested fast eaters

Large Chested fast eaters

someone showed me this link - and I've never seen it before so I thought I'd post it here.

http://www.brake-fast.net/

the person that showed me has a Weim and uses it and said it has worked well for him.
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

That's really cool....Cassie has a deep chest and used to bolt her food when she was younger. She's slowed down a lot, but still eats like it is going to be taken away from her!
    Shannon, Boomer, and Sooner

Been considering getting one for Chipper. I'm surprised he doesn't throw up with how fast he eats.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

I actually give casey a bit of food at a time because I am so paranoid about bloat.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

This sounds perfect for Maggie. I wonder if they sell that at PetsMart?
    Smokey is the only dog I know who actually chews his food.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Yep! Saw these a while back.. wanted 2 but they're a lil pricey.
    We went to Petsmart and they have a similar bowl, in small medium and large.
    We bought two mediums and they seem to work pretty well. Were $6 each I think. Definitely nice for the speed-eaters.

Bunny: BoxerxSheppard mix, Eli: Boxer, Treo: Boxer
    Zeke [RB]: RottweilerxAustrailian Cattle Dog mix

Oscar & Chloe: White's Tree Frogs, Kiwi & Wasabi: Green Tree Frogs
    I sell DVDs and other miscellaneous stuff on eBay!

Quote Originally Posted by Seravieve View Post
    Yep! Saw these a while back.. wanted 2 but they're a lil pricey.
    We went to Petsmart and they have a similar bowl, in small medium and large.
    We bought two mediums and they seem to work pretty well. Were $6 each I think. Definitely nice for the speed-eaters.

Wow, that's very reasonable. I am going to check those out. Thanks.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Staci,

First thing I thought of when I saw this thread was MOOSHOO!!!!! He's large chested and eats faster than the speed of light!!! And he's a CAT!!

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

At first I thought Staci made a thread about me....

JUST kidding!

Hmm, interesting concept. I bet you could make one of those -- a bowl, plastic rods, and some super glue. Might not be as purty but bet it'd work!

Quote Originally Posted by zippy-kat View Post
    Hmm, interesting concept. I bet you could make one of those -- a bowl, plastic rods, and some super glue. Might not be as purty but bet it'd work!
    Even easier is to just put three tennis ball sized balls in the dog dish.. Works until you dog outsmarts you and takes them out as he eats.. lol. Thats what Zeke did. Balls got real dirty too, but it works if you dont want to get an extra dish.

Bunny: BoxerxSheppard mix, Eli: Boxer, Treo: Boxer
    Zeke [RB]: RottweilerxAustrailian Cattle Dog mix

Oscar & Chloe: White's Tree Frogs, Kiwi & Wasabi: Green Tree Frogs
    I sell DVDs and other miscellaneous stuff on eBay!

Quote Originally Posted by zippy-kat View Post

I bet you could make one of those -- a bowl, plastic rods, and some super glue.
    Might not be as purty but bet it'd work!
    I've heard of dog owners who put large, smooth stones (rocks) in the dog's bowl ...
    if they just *eat* and don't pick or paw the obstructing rocks out -
    it slows 'em way down!
    Just make sure the rocks are WAY TOO BIG to be swallowed!

Those bowls are interesting, I've heard of them. I should get one for Jake, he's not large chested but still eats too fast for my liking.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Quote Originally Posted by caseysmom View Post
    I actually give casey a bit of food at a time because I am so paranoid about bloat.
    Yeah.. I was always paranoid too... used to feed the dogs soaked food, and feed it late at night so they weren't running around playing right after they ate.

Then about 5yrs ago I had a 7 month old male collie bloat/torsion on an empty stomach... I caught it early, went to the ER vet = surgery to take his stomach... he survived, did great was hospitalized about 36hrs total...

A year later a dog I co-owned was at his co-owners and bloated, again on an empty stomach... he was not so lucky, sadly he didn't survive. He was the sire of the puppy that bloated....hmm and breeders try to deny it can SOMETIMES be genetic....
    If you're gonna breed Collies, don't you forget to breed in the brains and common sense. Without that you won't have a Collie, you'll have just another dog.

I've Been BOO'd!!

Quote Originally Posted by ramanth View Post
    Been considering getting one for Chipper. I'm surprised he doesn't throw up with how fast he eats.
    My friend's bulldog did throw up he ate so fast. She would have to take up his bowl half way between to let him settle. Then she got one of the bowls posted in the link. She loves it and can't say enough good things about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiritwind View Post
    Yeah.. I was always paranoid too... used to feed the dogs soaked food, and feed it late at night so they weren't running around playing right after they ate.

Then about 5yrs ago I had a 7 month old male collie bloat/torsion on an empty stomach... I caught it early, went to the ER vet = surgery to take his stomach... he survived, did great was hospitalized about 36hrs total...

A year later a dog I co-owned was at his co-owners and bloated, again on an empty stomach... he was not so lucky, sadly he didn't survive. He was the sire of the puppy that bloated....hmm and breeders try to deny it can SOMETIMES be genetic....
    I thought with bloat that you weren't supposed to let the dogs tummy get too empty either?? At least that's what my dobe breeder says. She always makes sure the dogs get 2 meals a day and never go more than 12 hours without food.

*Thanks Ashley*

Quote Originally Posted by Shelteez2 View Post
    I thought with bloat that you weren't supposed to let the dogs tummy get too empty either?? At least that's what my dobe breeder says. She always makes sure the dogs get 2 meals a day and never go more than 12 hours without food.
    The puppy that bloated, bloated about 10 hrs after he ate... so basicly empty stomach.. he bloated thru the middle of the night/early morning, while sleeping in his crate..... when he had the surgery the surgeon basicly told me if its gonna happen, it will and you won't prevent it.. you can try to reduce the risk, but in the end, if its gonna happen it will.... and I personally feel its strongly genetic (not all cases of course.. but A LOT) and runs in certain lines.... and in some pedigrees (which is the case of the father and son that I had that bloated).... you can look back at the pedigree and in almost every generation name a dog or in some cases several dogs who either bloated or produced it.... and breeders ignore this or try to make up excuses as to why it happened..... and then continue on breeding dogs with strong bloat backgrounds to other dogs with strong bloat backgrounds..

I only feed my dogs once a day... except for puppies of course. After my first dog bloated, well actually before.. I was paranoid about bloat and would feed the dogs late at night and crate them after they ate... so they weren't running around and playing to rough with a full stomach.

But now I feel like you have to let the dogs be dogs... I feed once a day, if they want to play and run and have a good time after they eat... they can. You can't treat them like they are going to break, especially when you breed because you need to know about health problems.... because I refuse to breed a dog who bloats... that is one of the reason I bought Zack (Robin's Zack) a few years back..... I got Zack after my puppy bloated but before the puppies sire bloated... I got Zack for several reasons, but the main reason was because the bloodlines behind Zack are not only beautiful, they are known to be healthy, long lived dogs! I mean Zack's great grandsire was showing at the Collie club of america national specialty show this past spring, in the vetran class at just over 14yrs old!... he was slow, but he was showing! Zack is behind EVERY dog I own, including my current litter of puppies...

I remember at the 2005 CCA (the year paris and zack both go class placements)... there was a rough blue bitch who bloated at the national.... and died. What did the owner say... just "Well I guess we aren't going to win the open blue class this year" How sad is this???? It shouldn't be all about winning...

I visited some other breeders 5-6 years ago... just kennel hopping really.... they were fairly close to where I lived at the time so me and another breeder friend of mine went to look at their dogs. This was before I had anything that bloated.... these breeders were really looking forward to the CCA national specialty that year.. because they FINALLY had a vetran to show... they said this right to us... "Our dogs don't usually make it that long"... the first age group for vetrans is 7-11.... your dogs don't usually make it to 7yrs old???? again... thats pretty sad!!

Ok... this got longer than expected.... JMHO about bloat....
    If you're gonna breed Collies, don't you forget to breed in the brains and common sense. Without that you won't have a Collie, you'll have just another dog.

I've Been BOO'd!!