Thread: Meriden Humane Society broken into - Pitbull puppy stolen

Meriden Humane Society broken into - Pitbull puppy stolen

Someone broke into the Meriden Humane Society and stole a 6 week old brindle pitbull puppy who just had hernia surgery. In doing so, they broke in through the cat enclosure, letting over 60 cats lose. The police say it's part of a pitbull fighting ring and they took the puppy for either bate or to train to fight. There's a $1,000 reward out.

The bad part is the Humane Society building is right off a major highway.

Now you know why I like animals more than people sometimes!!!

http://www.nbc30.com/news/16696934/detail.html
    Last edited by moosmom; 06-26-2008 at 03:57 PM.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

OMG. That is horrible. That poor puppy. I hope the puppy is found and the book is thrown at the idiots who stole him.
    I love Fenway, JoJo, Olivia and Nonnie!

Someone asked me if the dog was microchipped. I hope so. But it wasn't mentioned in the article so I'm not sure.

I do know that if they try to take the puppy to the vet, the puppy's picture has been all over the news so they'll get caught. One can only hope.

I pray for the lives of the cats and the puppy.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

6/26 Update!!!

The puppy was found in a dumpster!!!! He's doing great and is back at the Humane Society. What they SHOULD do is get him into a foster home where he'll be safe.

So far only 4 cats have be found . Prayers needed for their safe return.

It is sick the things people do when involved in dog fighting.
    I am so happy to hear that the puppy was found and is doing well. It really lucked out. :]

Good vibes headed out for the cats still missing.

About half the cats are back...prayers for the rest!

http://www.nbc30.com/news/16718506/d...s=har&psp=news

Puppy Stolen From Meriden Humane Society Found Safe

POSTED: 1:46 pm EDT June 26, 2008
    UPDATED: 2:39 pm EDT June 26, 2008
    Some of the cats returned but 25 were still missing Tuesday afternoon.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

OMG!
    I'm SO glad the puppy is back, prayers for the cats that are still missing.
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

Poor puppy! I'm so glad it is ok!

However, having sadly had more than a few dealings with dog fighting rings in my years of works with shelters, I have to say that honestly doesn't sound like the work of dog fighters.

It seems like a lot of trouble to go to to get one pit puppy ... when they invariably have several females with litters at any given time. And pit puppies are not used as bait dogs ... why would they kill a puppy that might grow up to be of use to them?

I would say that was done by pranksters/vandals who just wanted to break in and cause as much trouble as possible, and happened to see a cute puppy they wanted to steal once they got in there. Once they realized it was all over the news, they ditched it before they could get caught.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

Wow, I to hate people sometimes...
    Although, I am VERY glad that this poor puppy was found, and alive!
    Prayers on the way for those poor kitties...

Kaitlyn (the human)
    Sadie & Rita (Forever in Our Hearts) (the Labbies)

FORTUNATELY, all the cats are spayed/neutered. A business down the street called the Humane Society to let them know there are about 18 hanging around the premises. So a bunch of volunteers hurried over there with traps and food to see if they could catch any of them.

Twisterdog,

I do not think it's just a prank. They knew exactly where the puppy was (in an administrative office in a crate) and knew exactly what they were looking for. No electronics, money or anything else was touched. The cops don't think it's a prank either. The puppy may not have been stolen for bait, but she's a female. They could've wanted her for breeding (she's a brindle pitty and absolutely beautiful) or fighting.

I hope they throw the book at these scumbags.