Thread: Female Hair Loss?

Female Hair Loss?

Ok, this has been bothering me lately.... I THOUGHT my hair was betting thinner, but really couldn't tell until recently. Now its becoming quite obvious. I asked the gyno during my visit this week if it might be hormonal and she said my tests all came back with normal hormone levels. She wants me to see my family doctor if it bothers me so much. I don't know if it bothers me as much as one might think it would.... I really just want to know WHY and if it will progress. I know stress can contribute to hair loss but I'm not that stressed... or am I

Ignore me looking like a major dork. This shows just how thin my hair is getting.

Anyone else here with thinning hair problems? What works? what doesn't? I've been trying to grow my hair longer, but now I'm not so sure longer is better in this case.

Hate to break it to ya girlfriend, but it's called AGE. Not only has the hair on my head gotten thinner, but there's hardly any in OTHER places.

Welcome to reality.

BTW, your hair looks fine. You look great from losing all the weight!!!

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

My mother was blessed with a thick full head of hair till the day she died, the lady helping me at the funeral home couldn't believe her age because of her hair. But yes as Donna said it is normal with aging, on the other hand I think you have been under a lot of stress and maybe when that eases your hair will go back to normal. A friend of mine lost chunks of hair because of stress.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

Did your dr. test your thyroid? That can cause it too.

From Decker with Love

Quote Originally Posted by jazzcat View Post
    Did your dr. test your thyroid? That can cause it too.
    Thyroid problems run in my family so I have that tested every year (along with Diabetes) and those tests came back good a few months ago. I have had every test conceivable run within the past 6 months for one reason or the other. I swore I was a pin cushion for a while there.

The Dr. did say that it takes 3 months for an issue to show up in the hair. So, 3 months ago, Ashley moved back in, hubby had his heart issue and was in and out of the hospital, I was planning on surgery for myself.... do ya think 3 months ago was a stressful time?

A sign at the doctor's office said "Good Morning.... let the stress begin!" I laughed and said, "isn't that the truth?!"

I had badly thinning hair after getting to Japan for a gig one time...I had just left a very stressful relationship with a guy who toked and did hash and drank like a fish! DEFINITELY stress related in my case!

Biotin, silica (w horsetail), short haircut to ease the stress on the hair...I also took he shou wu tablets - my publicist at the time found them for me and sent them to me in Japan! If you have a Chinatown, with a pharmacy, they should have them. I had NO side effects.

Has the stress settled, hon? Hope you can detach and take care of you.

{{{hugs}}}
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Your hair loss may be a reason contributing to your hair loss. My sister had gastric band surgery last year, and has lost over 100 pounds, and feels much better. But about halfway through the year, she was losing so much hair that she had it all cut shoulder-length, so it wouldn't make so much of a mess. (It had been almost waist-length.) Her doctor said that that just comes with the territory, but when her body finishes adjusting, it'll probably come back.

It's wierd for me - we were talking about it, and it's the first time in my WHOLE LIFE that I have longer hair than my big sister!
    I've Been Frosted

How are your nails? Oftentimes if the body isn't getting what it needs for nutrients it shows in your hair and nails since those are the last areas to get nourished.

Something to try is to boost your protein intake...get extra servings of things like: tuna, chicken, turkey, cottage cheese, plain yogurt, milk.

Growing up, i had very thick, very long hair, but all of it fell out after a health issue. A couple of years ago, I went on a high-protein diet and that has helped tremendously. I am now in the process of trying to grow my hair long for the first time in 10 years.

{{hugs}}

You look so CUTE in that picture!! I have always had thin hair so I don't have much to loose before I would go bald.

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiebaker View Post
    How are your nails?
    My nails look awesome... in fact I painted them red last night for the first time in a loooong time.

Ashley...hmmmm. Now THAT explains everything!! I'm surprized you're not bald from that wench!!

You COULD look like this...

LOL

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Just to add one more thing to the mix: it could also be hormonal. If it happens to get worse and it begins to worry you, have your gyne guy/gal check it out.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Looks like what my brother got one year...doctor called it alopecia and said it could be stress from finding out some distressing news. He used to have thick tight curly hair, his hair grew back, less curly and instead of blond it's black.
    It went form patch to patch , thought he would go bald but he's fine now.
    Sometimes it's hereditary. Don't worry, you look fine, just try a different way of wearing it if it really bothers you.

I don't know about your hair, but your body is definitely THINNING! You look great, Kim!

I've just dropped 30 lbs. myself! It's the most I have ever lost on my own! What's YOUR secret?
    Kim Loves Cats and Doggies Too!