Thread: Millie is gagging

Millie is gagging

Hi, over the past week or two, Millie has been gagging a couple times a day. (Millie is my large 20-lb cat.) She seems to get over it in a minute or so. And seems mostly only at night - she sleeps on my bed and it wakes me up. I rub her fur (like consoling her) until she stops. Is this at all normal? Do I need to take her in? I've never had a gagging issue before so this is new to me.

Hi Andrea, I'm so sorry to hear this. Does she get hairballs? If so she could just be trying to cough one up. My Pearl will do this sometimes at night too and I just give her some hairball medicine and then she's fine. I've also noticed that some of my cats will do this after they drink. Hopefully it's nothing serious. I'd just keep an eye on her or you could just call your vets office and tell them what's going on and see what they say. Good luck.

Yes, I'd watch her to see if you feel she's in distress and, if so, have your vet check her. One of my cats, Yodie, had a polyp that was growing down into her throat and not only caused her to gag but to lose weight as well. If you see her losing weight, don't delay in getting her in there because that could by symptomatic of several things.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

When my Lilith was sick she would gag. I was told the reason a cat gags is because they are trying to get more air. In other words they are having difficulty breathing. I would take her in just to be on the safe side. It's best to catch any type of problem early. JMO. Keep us posted ok. Millie has always been a favorite of mine ever since I first seen her in her marvelous 'millie in the sink' photo. But then again I am partial to calicos too.

Michelle

My rainbow bridge babies have forever left their paw prints on my heart.
    Lilith & Vixen, taken too soon. I love you always.

Signatures, avatars & blinkies if anyone wants one pm me with color,
    font and background preference and with pics and names of pets.

Lilith's Catster Page Vixen's Catster Page

Vote for my furry ones on the cat & dog channels
    Vixen, Bella, Vega, Frost, Phoenix & Artica

If she is really overweight, that can do it too. Follow the measuring directions on the bag - for what her weight SHOULD be - and put the kibble away between feedings.

Check her weight with your vet if you are uncertain.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

I agree that you should monitor her very closely. I also agree that you should probably take your baby to the vet, if anything to ensure it is not anything more serious. i would also keep a log of when your baby gags, so that your vet may be able to see if there is a pattern (e.g. I have heard of some cats gagging after drinking milk because they are lactose intolerant). It is always a good idea to keep a good record of what is going on when wierd things like this develop.

Hi all, thanks so much for your insight. I've not been able to get on since I posted this, but weirdly enough I haven't seen her gag since I posted. Go figure ... She is indeed heavy but she has been since her kitten days -- I have had her on measured food and vet-prescribed diet food at that -- the vet is really surprised that Millie is not losing any weight. She hasn't gained any more, so that part is good. She does not eat anything other than her vet-prescribed food nor any milk or anything else. Possibly hairball is what I'm thinking. But for right now with no gagging in the last few days I will wait this out and see, and if it starts again I will take her in. Thanks for all your concerns and glad to know Millie is so famous with her cat-in-sink photo!

That sink photo is PRICELESS! I hope Millie stays well.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Millie still OK?
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

Still ok!

That's just murphy's law, isn't it? I wait a week or so to post that question about her gagging, and as soon as I do, she stopped! lol I hope it stays that way.

Maybe Millie has asthma....
    Nine is Fine!!