Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Battle of the Old Dogs!

Battle of the Old Dogs!

Sleet and Pirate have an on-going disagreement about who is the queen senior in the house.

Sleet is 14. In her prime she was the best lead dog I've ever seen; a once in a lifetime born leader. She self-retired three years ago and now thinks the living room is her personal kingdom. Sleet has some health issues--athritis, cloudy eyes, meds for bladder control, but overall she's not in bad shape for an ancient sled dog.

Pirate is 12 supposedly. I think she's older than that. She was also a sled dog in her prime and I bet she was a good one. She's gone downhill in the last month, but her new meds are stopping the slide.

A couple weeks ago, the two of them got into a fight over dinner. They eat in the house, away from the other dogs, so they can get their meds hidden in their food. Neither has great mobility or much for teeth left. They couldn't have done any damage if they had been really trying. I've never laughed while breaking up a dog fight before!

They regularly snarl at each other over who gets to come inside or go back outside first. Age has it's privledges in my house and the seniors are allowed to be first through the door and allowed back inside at will. Sleet and Pirate both hate to wait for the other to go through first! Pirate is deaf and the only sound she ever makes is snarling at Sleet by the door!

Yesterday, Pirate was having one of her playful moments, running around the yard. Pirate's running is about the same speed as Tehya's walk! I watched her from a good fifty feet away, line Sleet up, lower her head and with great deliberation, knock Sleet over with a head butt to the ribs!! When she strutted off, I swear that dog was grinning! Sleet got her revenge later by stealing Pirate's blanket.

If they were any younger or spent more than an hour a day awake, I'd have to keep them seperated!
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

as you said in otherr circumstances it would be scary.... but I also laughed reading the story of how it went...(you really have a way of describing things that I could picture them as if I were there while it happened)

silly babies... we love you both!!!
    Corinna´s Christmas Card Swap ´06
    dedicated to a lovely woman who won many hearts along her life...........
    she will be deeply missed.......Thank you for letting us be a part of your life, you will surely remain in ours FOREVER........R.I.P. Dear Corinna

Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful dude that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

notes-to-my-husband blog

http://365project.org/isabelle/365

LOL!!! Sounds you got two fiesty old ladies there.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

Quote Originally Posted by Glacier View Post

Sleet and Pirate have an on-going disagreement about who is the queen senior in the house.

Pirate's running is about the same speed as Tehya's walk!
    I watched her from a good fifty feet away, line Sleet up, lower her head
    and with great deliberation, knock Sleet over with a head butt to the ribs!!
    When she strutted off, I swear that dog was grinning!
    Sleet got her revenge later by stealing Pirate's blanket.
    **YAEE-HAW!!**

I think your Word Pictures are just as good as your *snappies*!

GO Seniors!

I needed that laugh today, thanks Tamara! :-)

They are lucky to have you.
    M!
    "No dog is born either vicious or friendly, but rather a blank slate that is moulded, for better or worse, by the owner."

Reminds me of "Grumpy Old Men"...

Critter Mom to: Zoe-Rott/Pit Mix, Chloe- Persian, Lisa & Lola-Hermit Crabs, COMING SOON Pinky Pie-Cornsnake

Grumpy Old Men.....Exactly, that is what I was thinking of....or maybe in this case..The Golden Girls!!! Keep us posted on their adventures!!!
    Shannon, Boomer, and Sooner

I bet they secretly enjoy every moment of their dispute
    Give £1 for a poundie www.songfordogs.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by boomersooner View Post
    Grumpy Old Men.....Exactly, that is what I was thinking of....or maybe in this case..The Golden Girls!!! Keep us posted on their adventures!!!
    How true!

It's wonderful that you've given them such a great place to retire!
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

That's really funny. How endearing!
    Sleet is probably wondering why you ever brought that uppity gal Pirate into HER domain!

I agree that you have a way with words!
    They sound delightful, in a grumpy crotchety old way, LOL.

Thank you for sharing them with us.

I will miss you forever, my sweet Scooter Bug. You were my best friend. 9/21/1995 - 1/23/2010
    Goodbye, Oreo. Gone too soon. 4/2003 - 9/12/2011.
    Farewell & Godspeed, sweet Jadie Francine. You took a piece of my heart with you. 11/2002 - 8/8/2016
    Charlie kitty, aka: Mr. Meowy. Our home is far too silent now. 2003-6/14/2018

There's an old saying, something about you can't have 2 women share a kitchen.

OR a living room, by the sounds of this! Great tale, thanks for sharing with al of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparklecoon View Post
    Reminds me of "Grumpy Old Men"...
    This is EXACTLY what I was thinking and I bust out laughing when I saw it was already posted. LOL

Great descriptions. I also could totally visualize what was going on.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Too funny. Sounds like two senior mothers/mothers-in-law moving in moving in with their children.

Love the vivid descriptions!!

I'll bet they would be lost without each other.