Thread: Playful 7 month old puppy problem.

Playful 7 month old puppy problem.

I'm sure it's probably typical of the age, but since we have an elderly dog it's kind of a problem.

I just adopted a 7 month old Rhodesian Ridgeback mix puppy. We've had another Rhodesian Ridgeback mix for like 6 years, but we adopted her when she was 6. She's elderly, at this point.

Anyhow, this younger pup has so much energy. Also, he wants to playfight with our older dog. The real problem is that he won't let up. The older dog will bark, eventually, dissuading the pup temporarily. He starts right back up, though. Also, and this is what is really worrying me, he likes to paw at her and sometimes paws at her back pushing her down roughly. He's just too big and full of energy for her to dominate.

We've only had the pup for 4 days. Like most dogs of his breed, he's pretty smart. He's housebroken, will listen to commands, and seems to learn quickly. I don't know how to approach this behavior. I've pretty much just told him "no" over and over, but it doesn't seem to be sinking in.

Also, he wants to "play" with our cats. Obviously, our cats want no part of that.

I am off for the next month, so I can train him. I just don't know how to approach this behavior.

Unless the older dog has health issues and is unable to stand up for itself the best thing in my opinion is to just let them be and work out their relationship on their own. eventually puppy will get it and move on to something else.

----------------------
    Digital Paint Pet Portraits

Maybe do some agility work or more walks with the puppy so that he is exhausted by the time he gets in the house and doesnt want to bother the older dog. Or you can keep them seperate when you aren't home. When you are home you can watch his every move and distract his energy to something else.