Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: PLEASE PRAY FOR ME: Cat Bite & Rabies Shots!

I did stop both of my antibiotics and I have faith that all will be fine! I was on them a full 5 days and the infection cleared completely by the 2nd day. I will watch the wounds closely and at any sign of infection, I will quickly see a doctor. Remember, I was on TWO antibiotics at the same time and very high doses ... so they cleared it very quickly!

I have read all the horror stories online about stopping antibiotics too soon and such but I also have faith in my own body to heal properly. If I am wrong, then I have another antibiotic that I am able to take (Keflex) that I should have remembered to tell the ER doctor about. These are the ones that I am allergic to as far as we know:

Erythromycin
    Levaquin
    Penicillin

other meds:
    Codeine
    Percocet (pain med)

Some of them don't suggest Keflex since it is a derivative of Penicillin, but so far I have always done well on it .... except the impending yeast infection I always get afterwards! If they just go ahead and RX me a Diflucan pill then that's no problem at all.

I will try to remember to mention the stopping of my AB's tomorrow when I go for another rabies shot. If the RN thinks it is a big deal then I will see about getting a script for Keflex. OK?
    Kim Loves Cats and Doggies Too!

Actually now that someone mentioned this......
    Bruce's sister-in-law is going through a horrible illness and has been since about October of last year. And we believe it stems from having been on an antibotic for strep for a couple of days then the doctors got the culture back and she didn't have strep so told her to stop the medicine. Even though she was feeling better while on it, she stopped it "doctors orders". Then about a month later she got sick and none of the antibotics that would have normally helped her worked. And for about a month or so she couldn't even use her arms...AT ALL. She has lost too much weight and has relapses still to this day, about 8 months later. She is not completely back to her regular health yet.
    With all that you do, I wouldn't want to see something like this happen to you, or anyone for that matter. I will hope that this will not happen and you will be all in good health here SOON!
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Kim, I am just reading about this - I am so sorry that you got bit AND had to have the rabies shots. And of course, the troublesome antibiotics. I hope that you are feeling better each day and you know that you are the important one in all of this - it IS important that the cat be found and whatever needed done to be sure no one else has to go through the shots etc. We had cats when I was very young but I don't remember ever getting bit. Julia, my sister, has cats now and fortunately none have ever bit me although Cubby would have to liked to when we were trying to clean him up last week.

Hopefully this is the end of all the things that have been happening to you and you can have a good summer!

"That they may have a little peace, even the best
    dogs are compelled to snarl occasionally."
    --William Feather

wow kim! i am just reading this too and glad you're doing better. with all the times that sig has bitten me, i should be dead. LOL! i know your situation is different and scary tho. glad all is better.

Aki
    "The best and most beautiful things cannot be seen or touched - they must be felt with the heart." ~~ Helen Keller
    ------------------------------------------------
    Chuck (rb) meowmie misses you!

------------------------------------------------

thanks kittycats_delights for the sig!

I just got home from my rabies shot. Just two more to go ... one in another week then the last will be two weeks from that one.

I asked the ER nurse (an RN) about stopping my antibiotics. She didn't act like it was any big deal and said she "probably would have done the same thing" due to the stomach upset. So, can we please drop the subject of the "dropped" antibiotics now? I know you all meant well but it has caused more anxiety in me than was necessary.

THANK YOU ALL for your support and concern through this!

Hugs,
    Kim

Kim, I stopped giving Casey (I know she is a dog but antibiotics are antibiotics) anyway I stopped giving her some antibiotics after 5 days, she got so ill I thought she would die, it was for a parasite, after the retest the parasite was killed in those 5 days and the vet was fine with it.

I am glad you are doing okay. This sounds terrible but I watched kujo over the weekend and thought about you You are continued in my thoughts and prayers.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

7. Good luck!
    I love cats! So... I always take pictures of cats!

Just an update. I called Animal Control back to find out the status of the cat's rabies testing. THEY FORGOT TO HAVE HIM TESTED!!!!!!!!!! I cannot believe it! I told the lady exactly what a TERRIBLE oversight this was!!!

That is really BAD...especially when it comes to Rabies...i bet they didn't really care either!!!
    People just don't seem to care about anything but themselves it seems...unless there like us...saving cats or other animals or helping people...otherwise they seem to be very selfish.

Thank You Kim for this wonderful siggy

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power ,the world will know peace" jimi hendrix

ACK! They FORGOT? What in the heck do they think their job is?! Geez!

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

Quote Originally Posted by kimlovescats View Post
    Just an update. I called Animal Control back to find out the status of the cat's rabies testing. THEY FORGOT TO HAVE HIM TESTED!!!!!!!!!! I cannot believe it! I told the lady exactly what a TERRIBLE oversight this was!!!

From Decker with Love

Oh dear! Have you finished your treatments?

...um, excuse me, isn't that their JOB? What a bunch of incompetents.
    Loving meowmie to Archy & Binky (RIP my sweet boy 10/13/10)

=^..^=

I

I didn't take my last two shots. I went for the next to the last and got upset with the check-in nurse and left. She wouldn't believe me that the RN had stated I didn't need to be triaged and given a number to wait in line to be seen. I was already in a mood and didn't feel like sitting amongst a bunch of sick people just for a shot. I missed that one and my last one now too. I think I had enough shots to protect me anyway.

As far as the inept Rabies Control, I've considered taking it to the local news but just haven't felt like dealing with it. I really just want this nightmare behind me. I think it has really put a fear of strays into my mind for long term now!

I'd be very afraid of strays also....well,it's over and your ok...that's all that counts right now.
    Thank Goodness your ok.

Thank You Kim for this wonderful siggy

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power ,the world will know peace" jimi hendrix