Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Political Correctness On Steriods

Political Correctness On Steriods

This is just dumb. Black dogs have a hard enough time as it is
    without this foolishness.

Animal shelter stops `Black is Beautiful' program
    By Associated Press
    1:08 AM CDT, June 12, 2008

GEORGETOWN, Texas - An animal shelter pulled the plug on a program promoting the adoption of black cats and dogs after criticism that the event would have taken place the same week as a holiday commemorating freedom for enslaved blacks.

The Williamson County Regional Animal Shelter planned to reduce adoption fees from June 14-20 for black-coated animals through a "Black is Beautiful" promotion.

Eleven of 17 dogs and 12 of 24 cats at the shelter have black coats, shelter director Cheryl Schneider said. "It's just a known fact that black cats and black dogs are difficult to adopt," she said.

People choose other animals over the black cats and dogs for a variety of reasons, including superstition, fears of aggression and complaints that people can't see the animals' facial expressions as well, Schneider said.

"I think it is very unfair to the dogs and cats that are here," she said.

Williamson County spokeswoman Connie Watson told the Austin American-Statesman the shelter has offered promotions before and this one was not meant to be a Juneteenth-related event.

Celebrated June 19, Juneteenth commemorates the 1867 arrival of Union Army Gen. Gordon Granger in Galveston with news of freedom for Texas blacks. The announcement came nearly 2 1/2 years after passage of the Emancipation Proclamation.

Nelson Linder, president of the Austin chapter for the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, told the newspaper the promotion was "not very well planned or considered."

"In society, we live in small worlds, don't talk to people, assume things and promote things that have no basis in reality," Linder said. "I would encourage them to do more outreach on those animals. Talk to people, get some feedback so these things don't happen."

Schneider put a stop to the adoption program after learning about the controversy. "It was just bad timing," she said.

She said future promotions will not be so specific.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Oh for crying out loud This kind of thing disgusts me so much. Soon we will have to come up with new words for colors because the current color names are "offensive."
    Mom to Raven and Rudy the greyhound

Missing always: Tasha & Tommy, at the Rainbow Bridge

Silly. We used to do similar promotions. All these folks would have to do is change the name a little ... we called our "The Dark Side", and all black dogs were half price.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

I hope that the more things are corrected in mylife time.

No more Black Tie dinners. I hate ties anyway.
    No more Black Eyes! Those hurt!
    Change Black Top to Asphalt.
    Get rid of Black Checkers!
    And get rid of the Checkered Flag in NASCAR. Call the race with the White Flag....nope, scratch that idea....
    Get rid of the stripes on Zebras!!

Incredible....

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD View Post
    I hope that the more things are corrected in mylife time.

No more Black Tie dinners. I hate ties anyway.
    No more Black Eyes! Those hurt!
    Change Black Top to Asphalt.
    Get rid of Black Checkers!
    And get rid of the Checkered Flag in NASCAR. Call the race with the White Flag....nope, scratch that idea....
    Get rid of the stripes on Zebras!!

Incredible....
    Uh oh, we'd better watch it, calling Nascar a race! Better find another word for it!
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Brad Paisley has a song on his Christmas CD that deals with political correctness. Although it is funny, it is extremely sad at the same time. All of the "offensive" words like "Christmas," and "white" as in White Christmas are bleeped out. Silent Night also can't be sung because it might offend deaf people and those who are afraid of the dark. Free speech has, indeed, gone right out the window.

Oh and for those idiots who think black dogs are somehow "less than" other dogs, they are only showing their ignorance and missing out on what could possibly be the best friend they ever had.

Thank you for allowing the rant.....(Black Ripley's mom )

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    Free speech has, indeed, gone right out the window.
    Now, now, dear, it hasn't gone out the window. After all, we're discussing it, right?

There is one "color" phrase that I wouldn't mind seeing disappear, mind you. I am sick to death of hearing states described as "red" and "blue." First of all, some random designer picks these colors one day for a tv graph, and that's that? And it's not like any particular state is made up of 100% of EITHER political party ... do Independents get no color?

Who declared "blue" - the color of the sky, of periwinkles, of countless natural things - to be the property of one political party? And red - the color of the blood that runs through everyone's veins, for goodness sake - to be the property of another?

As we are "just beginning" the "general campaign" I am afraid I'm going to hear "red state/blue state" more than ever. Yet when I look out my window, my neighborhood is green with leaves, grey with pavement, right now light grey sky - it's raining - and there's a millions other colors outside.
    I've Been Frosted

I think people need to stress less and quit being concerned about offending people. Granted, tact and decorum has its place but it bothers me when people feel like they can't make even idle conversation out of fear of being "offensive"

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    ... do Independents get no color?
    Nope! We are invisible .... until they need our vote!!!

I guess they will have to get rid or Oreo cookies too! They can't make up their mind what color they are! I'm sure someone somewhere is offended by that!
    No matter what anyone does, someone some where will be offended some how!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    MY BLESSINGS:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Grandma (RB), Chester, Angel, Chip

Leonardo (RB), Luke (RB), Winnie, Chuck,

Frankie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    WHERE YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    Uh oh, we'd better watch it, calling Nascar a race! Better find another word for it!
    Great one, Mary!

I know black cats have a harder time with adoption, but I'm still not convinced about the dogs. I think the dog problem is specifically black labradors as they are far too common and easy to come across. If it were a black great dane, newfoundland, border collie, cocker spaniel, chihuahua, poodle, and so on; they'd have no problem being adopted at the same rate as another of their breed with a lighter color.

As far as getting rid of a good program, it is just plain stupidity.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

I've read this statement from the NAACP official severl times & I still
    think it applies to him & his organization and not to the promoters of
    dog adoption.

"In society, we live in small worlds, don't talk to people, assume things and promote things that have no basis in reality," Linder said."

Nobody in their right mind will confuse the two events.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by K9soul View Post
    Oh for crying out loud This kind of thing disgusts me so much. Soon we will have to come up with new words for colors because the current color names are "offensive."
    I couldn't have said it better. What is wrong with people these days?? I can't get over it.

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

PC run amok?

You can no longer refer to primary and secondary devices in computing as master and slave in California.

I can no longer tell someone I work with that they have offended me, as that might offend them.

I can no longer refer to mail that has not met its delivery target date as late mail. Management feels that that is creating a hostile work environment.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    PC run amok?

You can no longer refer to primary and secondary devices in computing as master and slave in California.
    Pc as in PC or PC as in PC?
    The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.