Thread: Just found out about Bailey

Just found out about Bailey

I just talked to the vet, and found out that my Bailey is diabetic. He will now have to have insulin shots everyday. I feel really bad for him, but my alternatives are not very good. If I don't put him on the insulin he will probably go blind and not live as long. I guess if there's anything good about this whole situation it's that he seems to be feeling fine. Does anybody have a dog that's diabetic? if so I'd love to hear from you, because I really don't know what to expect.

Hi daisybee. My first dog, Peaches, was diagnosed with diabetes when she was 10 or 11 years old. I then needed to give her two shots of insulin every day (one in the morning and one in the evening, after her meals). It took a little while to get the insulin level adjusted right, but not too long (I think only a week or two). You can just kind of tent up a bit of skin near her shoulder blades, and give her a shot. Peaches was very very good about getting her shot. I would tell her that it was time for her shot, and she would just sit there and wait for it. One of the most important things to remember is that Bailey must eat two meals a day, at about the same time every day. But Peaches was able to continue a normal life, play, go for walks, travel/road trips, etc., with her insulin shots. And she lived until she was just shy of 14 years old. So if you don't make a big deal out of giving Bailey his shot, just act like it is a normal part of life, he won't think anything of it either. It is a bit scary when you first hear that you will have to give your dog insulin shots for the rest of his/her life, but really, it becomes a part of your routine very easily.

Thanks Ginger's mom. Bailey is just 4 1/2 years old so it's a pretty daunting idea that he will have to have insulin twice a day for the rest of his life. But, I'll do what I have to do if it's going to help him.
    Did ginger change at all when she started with the insulin?
    because he seems happy right now, not sick at all.
    I know it shouldn't be thought of, but did the expense get very high, it's not a factor as to whether or not I'll put him on insulin, I just would like to have some idea what to expect.

You can do a google search and find lots of support forums for diabetic pets.
    You originally asked about this on May 11, here:
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthre...light=diabetes
    Diabetes is a serious, life threatening illness. You need to be proactive in caring for your Bailey and finding the info you need to help him remain healthy and happy.

Here is a very popular diabetes pet chat forum:
    http://www.petdiabetes.net/

Here is one with the link going directly to a thread on regulating the amount of insulin:
    http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=587852

Bailey is young. Managed properly, he will lead a long life. I see you also mentioned the cost. If you think that is a problem for you, do check on the specialized boards for ideas on how to find funding, and if you can't make it work, ways to find a good home for him where he will get the proper care. It IS a lot of work (my Dad is diabetic) but it can be managed so that the complications do not develop for years, if ever.

Best wishes.