Thread: Two Questions:

Two Questions:

1. I found some BRAVO raw dog food in the freezer. It was unopened. I'm guessing it's been there 8 months. Should I throw it out? Do you think it's too old to give to Fenway?

2. Fenway swam in the pond down the street last night. Temperatures were high so he went in about 5 times. Do you think it's okay if he drinks a little bit of the pond water? He seems to be okay today. But I think I heard pond water can be iffy. It was just so hot out and he was really have a great time. He even went under a couple of times.
    I love Fenway, JoJo, Olivia and Nonnie!

I don't know about the food, I'd check with the company.
    The pond water... there was a post or a story posted here a while back about the dangers of pond water.... let me search a little and see if I can find it.

Here's some stuff I found:
    This first thread is the one I was thinking about
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthre...ght=pond+water

http://www.gather.com/viewArticle.js...81474977277273

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthre...ght=pond+water
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

If it was my dog I would throw it out, why take a chance. If the dog does get sick it will cost a lot more in vet bills.
    If it's making you wonder and ask, I htink you have serious doubts yourself.

Sorry, didn't see the rest of your post. Pond water is a breeding ground for mosquitoes and mosquitoes bring heartworm, so I wouldn't let him drink that water. You could always bring fresh water from home with those little pouches sold at PetSmart. I'm sure this once won't do any harm but I would be careful in the future, You also never know if an infected dog drank from it or even peed in it...parvo, distemper, etc.

Another worry about drinking pond water is giardia and leptospirosis, so if you're worried that he may have contracted something then you can have him tested and vaccinated against them. If you're already vaccinated against them you should be fine.

I think heartworms are a little less of a worry since the larvae can only survive in the intermediate host, the mosquito, and unless the larvae have reached the L3 form they can not infect a host, not even if they are stuck by the mosquito or ingested. Certainly not if they eat mosquito eggs.

Those aside, there are also a myriad of other types of internal parasites that loooove hanging around water and in areas where wildlife roam around and urinate/defecate. Its a breeding ground for roundworms, tapeworms, you name if. But if you're on a monthly preventative for these it shouldn't be a problem

facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Jessika View Post
    Another worry about drinking pond water is giardia and leptospirosis, so if you're worried that he may have contracted something then you can have him tested and vaccinated against them. If you're already vaccinated against them you should be fine.

I think heartworms are a little less of a worry since the larvae can only survive in the intermediate host, the mosquito, and unless the larvae have reached the L3 form they can not infect a host, not even if they are stuck by the mosquito or ingested. Certainly not if they eat mosquito eggs.

Those aside, there are also a myriad of other types of internal parasites that loooove hanging around water and in areas where wildlife roam around and urinate/defecate. Its a breeding ground for roundworms, tapeworms, you name if. But if you're on a monthly preventative for these it shouldn't be a problem

I was thinking Giardia or Coccidia when I read the initial post myself. Coccidia is another one we see frequently in the summer, especially from dogs near ponds, swamps and ditches. I agree with you on the rest as well.

Elizabethann - I'd definately take a stool sample to your vet and keep a VERY close eye out for anything out of the ordinary (vomiting, diarrhea, not eating, lethargic etc). If you see your dog acting in any way unusual get him to your vet for a check up and be sure to tell them about the pond water.

In the future keep him out of ponds, ditches if you can to avoid the problems that go with them.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022