Thread: Dog shot 3 times by officer

Dog shot 3 times by officer

http://www.newsnet5.com/news/16570314/detail.html

MEDINA, Ohio -- Police are investigating after an officer shot and killed a dog Tuesday.

Police said the officer was investigating a loud music complaint this weekend when a dog she thought was a pit bull charged at her.

Witnesses said the officer shot the dog three times.

The owner said the dog was a boxer and a new mother.

"We're still investigating whether the officer followed all of the procedures but that officer was required to make a split-second decision," said Dennis Hanwell of the Medina City Police. "That dog was showing aggressive tendencies as it approached the officer."

A Medina safety panel is reviewing the incident.

RIP mama Boxer.
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

The owner should be arrested for not confining their dog. Poor mama
    dog was let down by her stupid owner. Why do dogs always have to pay
    the price for stupid people ?
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

That's such a sad story.
    I love Fenway, JoJo, Olivia and Nonnie!

Quote Originally Posted by lizbud View Post
    The owner should be arrested for not confining their dog. Poor mama
    dog was let down by her stupid owner. Why do dogs always have to pay
    the price for stupid people ?
    I agree.

You all have to think about it from the officer's point of view, too. Maybe he WAS too close to mama's litter and she was doing what instinct told her to do -- protect her babies. But at the same time this officer probably did not know the dog, the dog's history, the dog's temperament or that she even had a litter that she was protecting.

This is ultimately the fault of the irresponsible owner and this poor dog had to pay with its' life.

Bottom line though I don't see why breed has anything to do with this?? Why does it matter whether it was a pit or a boxer??

facebook

Because people are dumb @$$holes, they just are. In her mind "pit bull= going to eat me"

What a tragically stupid story all around.

Niņo & Eliza

Quote Originally Posted by Suki Wingy View Post
    Because people are dumb @$$holes, they just are. In her mind "pit bull= going to eat me"

What a tragically stupid story all around.
    Breed aside, if the dog was charging and not knowing anything about the dog's history or environment, wouldn't you try to protect yourself, too?

Now if the reason the dog was shot was BECAUSE she resembled a pit, that's wrong... the article stated the dog was charging at the officer, then later also says that she was acting aggressively as the officer approached. Does anyone know if the dog actually did charge or try to attack the officer to warrant being shot at?

Regardless, the dog should have been chained up/locked up/inside... not out free to roam around...

facebook

My dogs would run up to an approaching officer who was in our yard. Sadly, an officer in my area once shot a cocker spaniel that was approaching and the dog showed no signs of aggression. The police department is going to take the word of the officer on whether the dog was acting aggressively or wagging its tail.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

How sad. I had two peke-a-poos years ago, mother and daughter, and they both would run up to people, barking like idiots. But that's all they did. Bark. I do recall one time, though, that a woman was absolutely petrified when my dogs ran up to her and they were small dogs. I can understand the police officer being frightened but it's the responsibility of the owners to keep their dog confined. Irresponsible pet owners and now a dog is dead. Shame.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Does it say the dog was off the property? Maybe the people have an invisible fence? Maybe the dog just slipped out of the opened door and they couldn't catch her on time. Maybe they aren't as irresponsible as you guys are giving them crap for.

It doesn't even say that the dog was outside, it kinda sounds like it could have been inside.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

We don't know enough of the situation to make any judgment, as the story doesn't say whether the dog was on its own property or not, or any of the extenuating circumstances. Just about any mother will act aggressively if she feels her young are in danger, regardless of the breed or species.

It is a tragedy all around.
    I've Been Frosted