Thread: Sergeants Flea Treatment

Sergeants Flea Treatment

My little girl is basically and indoor kitty. That said I do allow her out on my patio and the little garden contained within it. Last year my vet gave me the above to be placed on her neck so that any fleas, ticks or mosquitoes that may be out there will not bother her. Last year I used it and all was fine.

Last night I gave her a treatment (placed it on the back of her neck) and this morning she isn't herself. She didn't want to cuddle with me like she ususally does, she wouldn't eat her Pounce (morning treat), didn't want to drink from the sink (morning ritual), did not touch her breakfast and went in the guest room and simply sat in there all morning. When I left to come to work she was still sitting there.

I spoke to her and asked if she were alright and the response I received was a meow and a blink.

Could the treatment be bothering her? It says for cats above 5 pounds and she is a 12 pound girl.

Thanks for your input.
    I love Ketzala and she loves me!!

I used that 'crap' for lack of a better word years ago. I wouldn't go near the 'cheap' products. Hertz, Sergeants or anything else you can pick up at the grocery store or walmart. My 8 month old kitten at the time had a severe reaction to the stuff. I was in major panic. He was fine that night when we put it on him. The next morning I had to search for him as he wasn't out and about (in the house). When I found him hiding under the couch we could barely breathe. He mouth and nose were covered with gunk. He got so sick. We called the company and they said to get him into a warm bath immediately and get any and all residue off him. Then they told us to get him to a vet as soon as we got him cleaned up.

He needed a steriod shot and something else. I can't remember what it was. For the sake of your pet get the good stuff from the vet. It may cost more but atleast it is safer than the other stuff.

It doesn't sound like she is having quite the reaction my kitty did but I would talk to your vet. I think it would be advisable to change products.

Michelle

My rainbow bridge babies have forever left their paw prints on my heart.
    Lilith & Vixen, taken too soon. I love you always.

Signatures, avatars & blinkies if anyone wants one pm me with color,
    font and background preference and with pics and names of pets.

Lilith's Catster Page Vixen's Catster Page

Vote for my furry ones on the cat & dog channels
    Vixen, Bella, Vega, Frost, Phoenix & Artica

kittycats_delight - If I read her post right she DID get the Sargents from the vet. I'd rather wonder about a vet still recommending or dispensing that 'crap' as you so aptly call it.

Creativeangel - If you're needing flea stuff for the cat stick with the vet approved ones (Frontline, Frontline Plus, Advantage, Revolution) even though they are more expensive.

Avoid Sargents, Hartz, Bio Spot etc. I've seen FAR too many animals come in our hospital with reactions to those cheap products. While they may advertise as 'natural' what they contain is pyretherins which can have horrible reactions, particularly in cats and aren't safe around people particularly children.

since your kitty has already had a reaction, get her to a vet ASAP.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022